Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 06:44 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times

Advertisements

I know there are a few people here who have regular-sized equine, but since I bought a miniature horse, about a month ago, I was wondering if anyone else has one? I had horses when I was a kid, (we lived on a small ranch), but this is the first horse, (of any size), I've had in 23 years, (last ones I had, I was 22). Luckily, I remember much of my experiences, which helps. Plus, my best friend has had horses (full-size) the last ten years, so I've played alot with hers. Basically, the care for a miniature is the same as for their full-size counterpart, (though in much smaller ways, of course ) but there seem to be a few differences, such the use of Bute, which seems to be frequently recommended not to use on minis, (I guess it's hard to get the dosage right). If any of you have, or have had, minis, perhaps you could share some of your experiences. It would certainly help me alot, as I get my feet under me!

My guy is about nine months old, a palomino, beautiful dishy head, with the shaggiest coat I have ever seen on a horse, (a little research on the internet told me that is common with minis). It's almost like a sheep's coat. I've seen him get drenched, then went to check on him. Parted the hair down to his skin, and he was dry as a bone! I think his body type is between the Arab and the Draft, (which seems to be how they divide the body types in the mini world). He stands about 26 inches tall, and he will probably be about 28 inches as an adult. If he hits 30 inches, he would be doing something big, (no pun intended ), He's very smart, cute, and funny, but he has a very strong will, (reminds me of my daughter, when she was little). It's been a very interesting month, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 06:59 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
My best friend had minis for years. Boy were they a handful! Spoiled rotten! I have a very clear memory of the two of us trying to give a muscle shot to her little mare. It took us almost 10 minutes, and we finally got the little witch into a enough of a headlock to actually give the blasted shot. Her colt, who observed the whole process from the safety of his stall, stood politely for his injection.

Below is a link to the American Miniature Horse Association.

http://www.amha.org/index.asp?KeyName=110

Old 01-27-2007, 07:26 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,456 times
Oh - how wonderful for you!!! Minis are like big dogs - so much fun and loving!
I have only had the big guys and ladies, but the minis have always been a treat to watch and play with.

I really don't have much advice - but I know there are groups out there - like associations of 'mini' owners who can help you out.
Google and see what you find - or look in your phone book, and check with local stables.

So happy for you! Goodluck with your new 'child'!!

Kimmiey

Old 01-27-2007, 07:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Celtic Lady
Please post a pic!!!
Cute story, Evey. Thanks for the link.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Celtic Lady
Please post a pic!!!
Cute story, Evey. Thanks for the link.
I would love to post a picture, but I have no idea how to do that. (I am very inept, when it comes to computers.). Do you have to have a scanner, a digital camera, or what? But, I don't have a digital camera, (or a scanner), although, come to think of it, my son has the camera... So help me out, y'all. How is this done? (See, I told ya. Totally inept!). If there is a way for me to do it, I'll give it a try!

Old 01-28-2007, 07:28 AM

A scanner or digital would definitely help.
I am not that technical either, but the main thing is that you have to be able to upload a photo into your computer, then have a place to "host" it online.
I did look at the adorable pictures on your link!

Old 01-28-2007, 04:48 PM

Check out Panda the Miniature Guide Horse!
heh
Our mastiff Tucker had a good 50 pounds on little Panda.

The material is copyrighted: so try to google CNN and miniature horse
Snippet:

BETHLEHEM, New York (AP) -- Panda is everything you would want in a pet and guide animal for the blind -- protective, alert, house-trained, and she loves to play fetch. And at 29 inches tall and 120 pounds, she's a darn small horse.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
A scanner or digital would definitely help.
I am not that technical either, but the main thing is that you have to be able to upload a photo into your computer, then have a place to "host" it online.
I did look at the adorable pictures on your link!
Hey Cil,
There is one way to look at a picture of my little guy. Go to lancasterminiaturehorsesdotcom, hit the "for sale" button. Scroll down to the fourth colt. I believe that picture was probably taken last fall. It's not the best picture, (it doesn't do justice to his pretty head), but it gives you an idea. Right now, he is so wooly and hairy, he almost looks like a different horse. This is a miniature horse farm not too far from us, (about 25 miles) over in Pensacola.

I have heard about Panda. There is actually a foundation for guide horses. There is also a big controversy about whether or not minis are suitable for this kind of work. I can see both sides to the argument. But, it is interesting.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:23 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Oh, how cute! A tiny little palomino! If that pic does not do justice to his head, he must be gorgeous indeed.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:42 AM

Adorable!
It was so fascinating looking at and reading about all the horses.
They are all so beautiful and so different from each other.
When I was a little girl I was horse-crazy but I think I have only been riding maybe 8 times in my life.
When it comes to miniature horses, is smallest best? Or does it matter?
Are conformation and color the most important qualities, or must miniature horses have that "show" attitude as well?
I notice that each blurb seems to predict just how big the horse might get to be.
It's funny, they are all about the size of English Mastiffs (I don't show, we just have companion mastiffs.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets