Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:35 AM

364 posts, read 527,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
SYLVANIA, Ala. - A woman who went for a horseback ride through town at midnight and allegedly used the horse to ram a police car was charged with driving under the influence and drug offenses, police said Tuesday.

"Cars were passing by having to avoid it, and almost hitting the horse," said Police Chief Brad Gregg.

He said DUI charges can apply even when the vehicle has four legs instead of wheels.

** Inexcusable and disgusting **

Last edited by Figment 07; 04-07-2007 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: Removed copyrighted material; allowed excerpt only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 04:05 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
SYLVANIA, Ala. - A woman who went for a horseback ride through town at midnight and allegedly used the horse to ram a police car was charged with driving under the influence and drug offenses, police said Tuesday.

"Cars were passing by having to avoid it, and almost hitting the horse," said Police Chief Brad Gregg.

He said DUI charges can apply even when the vehicle has four legs instead of wheels.

Moderator cut: removed copyrighted material from original post

** Inexcusable and disgusting **

That is absolutely so sad for the horse. I just so dislike people who are cruel to animals. I surely hope she gets what she deserves in more ways than one, and I pray the horse will get well. Very, very sad.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:17 PM

There is a new legislation trying to be passed or may have already making it a felony in Alabama to "torture" a horse. I'm not sure if it has passed or if this qualifys. I voted for it. I recieve emails from the ASPCA regarding these new acts for all 50 states and remember that one. There was another incident last year in Foley where a horse was tied and dragged along a highway for miles; also by drunks. It had to be put to sleep after a few months. That kicked off the need to make it a felony.

It is so sad and sick. If people want to get intoxicted they have that right and we can't stop them; I just hope we can put a stop to it leading to animal cruelty.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
There is a new legislation trying to be passed or may have already making it a felony in Alabama to "torture" a horse. I'm not sure if it has passed or if this qualifys. I voted for it. I recieve emails from the ASPCA regarding these new acts for all 50 states and remember that one. There was another incident last year in Foley where a horse was tied and dragged along a highway for miles; also by drunks. It had to be put to sleep after a few months. That kicked off the need to make it a felony.

It is so sad and sick. If people want to get intoxicted they have that right and we can't stop them; I just hope we can put a stop to it leading to animal cruelty.
It is sick and you're right, if people want to get drunk, let them. I just hope they don't drive or now, ride horses. I've just never heard a story like this one about the horse, so bizarre and trajic!!

Old 04-05-2007, 04:39 PM

Very bizarre. It's similar to drunk drivers. Isn't it more often then not the other car (not intoxicated) often suffers more injuries and deaths then the intoxicated driver at fault?

I dislike seeing horses anywhere but on a green pasture enjoying themselves. It always bothers me to see them in NYC with all the traffic. I continually ask the drivers about there living condtions as well as police officers riding them. They say they have a great setup in Midtown but still. They were blinders so they can't see all the traffic. And the cabs and noise. I enjoy the city but can't imagine they do.

Any animal in any bad situation makes me so sad. I just want to save them all. I can't imagine how and why there are those who want to harm them.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:00 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Quote:
There is a new legislation trying to be passed or may have already making it a felony in Alabama to "torture" a horse. I'm not sure if it has passed or if this qualifys. I voted for it.
I'm confused...are you a legislator? I thought you didn't live in Alabama, but in...Tennessee? How can you vote for legislation if you aren't even a state resident? Please explain

Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I'm confused...are you a legislator? I thought you didn't live in Alabama, but in...Tennessee? How can you vote for legislation if you aren't even a state resident? Please explain
No, I am not a legislator. I do not live in Alabama or Tennesee. Vote was the wrong word. I sign petitions to pass new laws, acts and bills toward stopping animal cruelty in all states. These signatures and letters matter and do make a difference.

I hope you are more interested in stopping animal cruelty then you are my location or occupation. If so, visit aspca.com to help.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Very bizarre. It's similar to drunk drivers. Isn't it more often then not the other car (not intoxicated) often suffers more injuries and deaths then the intoxicated driver at fault?

I dislike seeing horses anywhere but on a green pasture enjoying themselves. It always bothers me to see them in NYC with all the traffic. I continually ask the drivers about there living condtions as well as police officers riding them. They say they have a great setup in Midtown but still. They were blinders so they can't see all the traffic. And the cabs and noise. I enjoy the city but can't imagine they do.

Any animal in any bad situation makes me so sad. I just want to save them all. I can't imagine how and why there are those who want to harm them.

I know. If I could, I'd take in every abandoned dog I see. People just dump litters of puppies on the side of the road as well as grown dogs.

Those that harm animals definitely are crazy and violent. I have heard so many horrible tales of how domestic animals are treated that it makes me want to scream and just harm those awful humans. Of course, I wouldn't do so as I'm not violent, but they really need some form of severe punishment.

Look at the love I've attached. How in the world can anyone hurt the innocent?
Attached Thumbnails
AL woman gets DUI on horseback... cruelty to animals-dog-days-summer-july-2006.jpg  

Last edited by KewGee; 04-06-2007 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: add a sentence

Old 04-06-2007, 12:27 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I believe in treating animals humanely, but as someone who has had a little experience in the world, I find that animal rights groups and individuals are often more interested in limiting the rights of humans than really understanding animals or even life.

Spare me your pictures of cute big-eyed animals that hook into maternal and parental emotions. Spare me your missives on how cruel humans are. Ever see a (Federally protected) Sharp-shinned Hawk dining on a still alive songbird? Ever watch an animal eat its own offspring? Ever see a wild animal covered in parasites and at death's door? Ever see the bloody remnants after a fox has decimated a chicken-coop? Ever been threatened by a rabid raccoon? Animals are not cute stuffed teddy bears. Nature is not the all-loving female of the margarine commercials. Some of the cruelest human behavior is far kinder than what nature hands out on a daily basis.

Legislation (aka laws) are already being abused by PETA and other terrorist organizations (yes, PETA fits the description), and even mainstream humane societies have been infiltrated with extremists.

In Florida, a schoolteacher was arrested last year on animal cruelty charges for mercy-killing baby bunnies that were already being killed in horrendous ways by the doe, who had rejected them. Her act of kindness was turned into a crime, she was publicly pilloried by animal rights activists, and she was brought to trial for her attempt at kindness.

More recently, the fast food chain "Checkers" had a promotion where their take-out bags could be converted to a costume for cats by poking holes in it for the head and front legs. A different Florida humane association representative quickly called putting a cat in a bag animal cruelty, contacted the media, and threatened suit if the promotion wasn't stopped. Never mind that cats are restrained for shots by wrapping in towels, that a cat who objects to a costume will make the owner wish he owned a dog, never mind common sense, the laws are already being subverted by people who would love nothing more than to force everyone to become vegan and make it illegal to have any interaction with any animal.

Was the woman with the horse stupid? Yep. Was she cruel to the animal? Dunno, probably for not feeding it properly, but for using it in the same way that cops and the military have used horses for crowd control for centuries? I'm not sure on that one.

Get some perspective folks. Go visit a working farm for a summer. Help out a vet for a couple of days. Don't limit your knowledge of animals to the Disney channel and characters in childhood morality stories.

Animals deserve to be treated with respect, and people constantly need education on that, but passing more laws will not deter the real abusers, and only make it more easy for more insane "cruelty to animals" charges to be pressed against schoolteachers, farmers, pet owners, and even restaurant chains.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I know. If I could, I'd take in every abandoned dog I see. People just dump litters of puppies on the side of the road as well as grown dogs.

Those that harm animals definitely are crazy and violent. I have heard so many horrible tales of how domestic animals are treated that it makes me want to scream and just harm those awful humans. Of course, I wouldn't do so as I'm not violent, but they really need some form of severe punishment.

Look at the love I've attached. How in the world can anyone hurt the innocent?

Are those your beautiful babies? I don't have any pics on my computer of my four otherwise I would share. And I am a total proud mommy of my Shih Tzu puppy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets