Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:56 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,416,151 times

Advertisements

Nobody's ever mentioned it to me but then we're not the entertaining types, outside of immediate family that is. The "zoo" currently has three small dogs, three goldfish and a former dining room now filled with cages for the nine finches, four parakeets and one cockatiel. Oh, almost forgot, one red border canary.

To some it might indeed be a zoo. But the animals and birds are just family to us. Most everyone of them were "unwanted" in some way and we took them in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:59 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,955 times
I have 6 rescue dogs and a large parrot. If I added on a miniature horse and a goat I would have a small zoo!
Right now I consider myself having a small kennel!
I love all my pets! They keep me on my toes and sane!

Last edited by Blondie621; 07-30-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 01:58 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,490 times
Your "zoo" helps to weed out the losers ! (haha!) We have 5 cats and a rabbit and I always tell my husband how awesome he is for letting all these babies live with us!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:44 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
I have nine cats.

One of my neighbors calls our place "The Cat Palace".
Another one says we are running a "Cat House".

But I haven't heard anyone call it a "Zoo".

Old 08-01-2009, 10:07 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,297,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
The message that these men give me is that they simply do not like animals and in that fact, they disqualify themselves as a consideration for any kind of permanent relationship with me.
Find someone who likes animals. Why deal with someone who is going to be like that?

Old 08-01-2009, 10:10 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I have nine cats.
But I haven't heard anyone call it a "Zoo".
Well.....at least not to your face

Old 08-03-2009, 09:50 AM

751 posts, read 2,480,585 times
I am an animal lover! But I call my house a zoo. But I don't consider dogs and cats as a zoo unless you have a lot of them and they act unruly. Which is most likely because I expect people to have at least one of those!

My sister married a man with horrible allergies so they can never have one. But she does love my dog and lets me spend the night at their house with my dog regardless of his allergies. But even he says if he had a dog he would want one just like mine. And then she has to clean house when we leave!

I call my house a zoo because I have animals that most people don't have. I have a boxer dog, a Florida red belly turtle and 5 Chinese fire belly toads. And I would have a lot more if I could financially support more. My sons bring home all things wild from the creek and always want to keep them. But c'mon, what am I supposed to do with a crawfish!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:57 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post

But c'mon, what am I supposed to do with a crawfish!
Crawfish make for an interesting pet. Ours will watch me making up food for the sugar gliders and know he's going to get a piced of the toddler turkey stick that my gliders love. I can't handle him, but I sure do admire his beauty.

I'd love to see some pics of your fire belly toads and your turtle. We have 2 red foot tortoises among many other critters.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:48 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
Oh Kahskye, I love your crawfish! My kids were catching minnows out of the yard after a hurricane flooded the canals once and they unwittingly had a few crawfish in there. One got big and blue like yours. It was very neat to watch it grow. It even had eggs at one point, but none hatched.

I love redfoots! A friend of mine has a daughter that wanted a RES. I suggested either adopting one (there are so many dumped in ponds everywhere) or adopting a redfoot. They have so much personality for such a small tort!!

We're looking at a pair of Russian torts right now. Not 100% on them yet, but it's a serious consideration!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:29 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Oh Kahskye, I love your crawfish! My kids were catching minnows out of the yard after a hurricane flooded the canals once and they unwittingly had a few crawfish in there. One got big and blue like yours. It was very neat to watch it grow. It even had eggs at one point, but none hatched.

I love redfoots! A friend of mine has a daughter that wanted a RES. I suggested either adopting one (there are so many dumped in ponds everywhere) or adopting a redfoot. They have so much personality for such a small tort!!

We're looking at a pair of Russian torts right now. Not 100% on them yet, but it's a serious consideration!
Thanks, we bought him from a petstore last year.

Here's my dd's redfoots. They are a wonderful tortoise to have and do they love to eat!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets