Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 02:36 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a few posts on exotic pets, some of them on tortoises.

I've owned sulcatas, the third largest species of tortoise for about 12 years now. It's one of the most turned in species of tortoise and the least studied by potential owners. Many wind up in rescues, and they are the lucky ones. The others are dumped in the wild where they are not able to survive the winter in almost every area of the country, some not even the fall.

They require temps in the 90s during the day and no lower than 60s at night. If it's cloudy and windy it needs to be even warmer.

As hatchlings they need plenty of warmth, UVA and UVB light, and a very humid area for them to hide in. Their diet needs to be more like that of a rabbit than a turtle. Low fat, 90% or so of it coming from grasses, weeds, etc. Veggies and fruits are very bad for them, and given in excesses (more than once or twice a month) will cause their liver to shut down and they die.

Improper lighting will cause shell deformities, most commonly pyramiding. Over time this kills them very slowly, and very painfully.

They can exceed 2 feet and over 200 pounds. Single handedly they can destroy the foundation of a concrete block home. They can easily take down a 4x8 foot privacy fence. They can dig through concrete block and drywall. They show affection by ramming each other, so if your tort bonds with you, cover your ankles.

While I love them and think they're wonderful, you need to be prepared to bring them home. They can dig tunnels that exceed 15 feet in depth and 35 feet in length. A very large, securely enclosed area for them is a must and takes a good bit of prep work.

Living with them in the winter months is quite a challenge. If you're lucky enough to live in the south you can build them shelters underground with 'pig blankets' to keep them warm in the evenings. But if the temps drop so low that that hide can't stay at least in the 60s you have to bring them in.

That's when life gets interesting. They're incredibly intelligent and will quickly learn where the food is. Anyone going to our kitchen will quickly turn around to find 3 tortoises standing behind them, hoping they may get some endive or other very dark leafy green.

They move furniture, including bird cages, much to the birds displeasure. Seeing a dining room chair move slowly across the living room is nothing abnormal in our home.

They also grow incredibly fast. A hatchling is about the size of a quarter. At a year old it's over a pound and about 4 inches. 2 years and it's in the 6-8 inch range, getting close to 20 pounds. 3 years and it's exceeded basketball size and in the 30-40 pound range. You will have a hard time housing it indoors at this point. This is when most get dumped.

However, if you walk into this with the proper knowledge, they're amazing pets. Our female is very much like a dog, personality wise. She follows us around the house and yard, sticks her head out as far as she can hoping you'll rub her neck for her. She's rammed my lounge chair on more than one occasion, trying to get me out of it since she couldn't get in it.

They hang out with the dogs, and thought the chickens were wonderful buddies. I caught chickens going for 'tortoise rides' on more than one occasion.

I guess the point is, while exotic pets can be a tragedy when they're taken in by people that haven't done their homework, they can be truly wonderful for those that have. Please, before going out and buying any pet because you think it's 'cool' or because you want something to show off to your friends, please do your homework. Think long and hard about how this is going to effect your life. Can you truly provide this animal with what it needs for the rest of it's life. They aren't just 'stupid animals'. They are living breathing creatures with emotions. I see them every day.

As for the growth rate, here's a photo of our youngests growth. He was adopted at just under a year old a couple years ago.

Adoption day:

A year later:

This past summer:

Today. He's now about 3 years old. Approaching the 30 pound mark.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 12:30 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times
Wow, what a beautiful boy.
It is hard to get people to study before hand. Pet stores just want to make a sale and not care that in a few years they will be homeless pets.
My wife and I urge people to help out at shelters and adopt from shelters before buying at petstores.

We have rescued 15 ferrets from people who just did not do their homework before buying them.

We had a turtle/tortoise rescue near us. Their personal divorce ended their shelter.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 AM

46 posts, read 104,588 times
She is beautiful. It is terrible how many pets are abandoned or given up. We make a habit out of studying pets and their needs in my home being animal lovers we find great enjoyment in learning about different species even if we are not planning to own one. Some species although they seem like they would be great pets are simply not practical for everyone. We live in a cooler climate and would be unable to provide for pet requiring 90 degree weather for instance
We do however have a Tort, His name is Oh and he is 3 years old now. We studied a great deal about him before we went out to find him. We were shocked to find out that many pet store personnel really had no idea what the proper care and diet for a Tort (Russian Tort in our situation) actually was! They of course were more about the "sell" and trying to persuade us into buying useless items we would never need. I would suggest to anyone considering the purchase of an exotic pet… Please Google! To get the proper diet, habitat, growth information etc. We found out that although short term aquariums will do in a pinch you should never really house a tort in glass aquarium for long. We found out that tortoise "food" at a pet store is a joke; we go out of our way to buy him the freshest greens possible with occasional treats. The little guy gets better salads then I do (and could probably eat 3 times the amount if we let him!), Proper UV lighting, heat lighting, and the correct substrate can make or break your little friend. There is so much involved in the proper set up, however when done correctly you can be sure that your pet has a happy environment and avoid many health problems. Study before hand so you have the proper expectations. These guys are great friends for a lifetime (literally with proper care these guys can live 50 years!)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/kurtieran/Ohavatar.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,433,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoheJohe View Post
She is beautiful. It is terrible how many pets are abandoned or given up. We make a habit out of studying pets and their needs in my home being animal lovers we find great enjoyment in learning about different species even if we are not planning to own one. Some species although they seem like they would be great pets are simply not practical for everyone. We live in a cooler climate and would be unable to provide for pet requiring 90 degree weather for instance
We do however have a Tort, His name is Oh and he is 3 years old now. We studied a great deal about him before we went out to find him. We were shocked to find out that many pet store personnel really had no idea what the proper care and diet for a Tort (Russian Tort in our situation) actually was! They of course were more about the "sell" and trying to persuade us into buying useless items we would never need. I would suggest to anyone considering the purchase of an exotic pet… Please Google! To get the proper diet, habitat, growth information etc. We found out that although short term aquariums will do in a pinch you should never really house a tort in glass aquarium for long. We found out that tortoise "food" at a pet store is a joke; we go out of our way to buy him the freshest greens possible with occasional treats. The little guy gets better salads then I do (and could probably eat 3 times the amount if we let him!), Proper UV lighting, heat lighting, and the correct substrate can make or break your little friend. There is so much involved in the proper set up, however when done correctly you can be sure that your pet has a happy environment and avoid many health problems. Study before hand so you have the proper expectations. These guys are great friends for a lifetime (literally with proper care these guys can live 50 years!)
Very true. I got my son a sulcata hatchling in 1998. Unfortunately my shepherd decided to take him out back for a walk while I was shopping. Lesson learned - keep them in a container that other animals can't access with a secure lid.

Because I was stupid, I lied to my son and told him 'IHOP' was at the vet's. I planned on going to the breeder the next day while he was in school to get another. I called in the morning to find they had sold the last the day before. Now I was panicked. I lied to my child and was facing having to tell him!!

While shopping that day I stumbled in the pet store - don't know why, I hate them. And low and behold, a sulcata in an aquarium! I freaked out, they had him soaking in a bowl of water, no way out!! Great - give the thing shell rot!!

I wound up giving the manager a bit of tortoise advice before handing over $140 for a tortoise that I"d just brought home a month earlier for $75. My penalty for lying.

The funny part? As I was leaving the lady said it was a coincidence that I found him. A woman came in earlier that morning with him and said she'd been driving down the road the day before and saw him. She knew he wasn't a normal turtle so she brought him there and sold him to them for $10. They did research to see what species he was and was shocked to find what he was worth.

Out of curiousity I asked if she said what road and she had. Mine!!!!! I took a closer look at the little guy and realized his shell did have the letters IHOP (thus the name) on his shell. It wasn't painted on, just the way the darker color in each of his scutes had formed, looked like those letters. I'd just paid $140 for my own freaking tort!!

Old 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM

46 posts, read 104,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Very true. I got my son a sulcata hatchling in 1998. Unfortunately my shepherd decided to take him out back for a walk while I was shopping. Lesson learned - keep them in a container that other animals can't access with a secure lid.

Because I was stupid, I lied to my son and told him 'IHOP' was at the vet's. I planned on going to the breeder the next day while he was in school to get another. I called in the morning to find they had sold the last the day before. Now I was panicked. I lied to my child and was facing having to tell him!!

While shopping that day I stumbled in the pet store - don't know why, I hate them. And low and behold, a sulcata in an aquarium! I freaked out, they had him soaking in a bowl of water, no way out!! Great - give the thing shell rot!!

I wound up giving the manager a bit of tortoise advice before handing over $140 for a tortoise that I"d just brought home a month earlier for $75. My penalty for lying.

The funny part? As I was leaving the lady said it was a coincidence that I found him. A woman came in earlier that morning with him and said she'd been driving down the road the day before and saw him. She knew he wasn't a normal turtle so she brought him there and sold him to them for $10. They did research to see what species he was and was shocked to find what he was worth.

Out of curiousity I asked if she said what road and she had. Mine!!!!! I took a closer look at the little guy and realized his shell did have the letters IHOP (thus the name) on his shell. It wasn't painted on, just the way the darker color in each of his scutes had formed, looked like those letters. I'd just paid $140 for my own freaking tort!!

Bright side.....
You didn’t have to wonder what happened to him. I give you credit for not choking the pet store people. My husband teases me in the summer when I stand over "Oh" in the back yard watching his every step but I have read so many stories. As rotten as all you went through was I’m happy you found him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets