Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:36 PM

281 posts, read 447,109 times

Advertisements

I really don't want to make a thread like this, because I hate to confront myself with it everytime, but I know that I can't walk way from it, because the animals can't speak out for themselves. Anyone who wants to go into a discussion with me about whether or not we should care about this cruelty or wants to argue that it's all just a ploy from animal rights organisations to squeeze money out of people should look elsewhere, my only goal is to get caring people to help put an end to this.

It shouldn't come as any surprise to most people that animals in China and Korea are often treated without any regard for their wellbeing. This is especially true for dogs, cats, rabbits, raccoons, bears and others. It is true that the West still has a lot to improve as well, sadly, but it is in China and Korea that you find the most horrific cruelty and therefore the situation there deserves extra attention. Cats and dogs skinned and boiled alive for their fur and meat, bears with metal rods inserted in their stomachs through which bile is painfully extracted and other such unfathomable cruelty are just a few of the far too many examples I could give.

Some reading material.

The cruelty of sucking gallbladder juice (bile) from live bears in China
Cats boiled alive
Recent Investigation Shows Cruelty at Chinese Fur Farms (http://www.hsus.org/about_us/humane_society_international_hsi/cruelty_issues_around_the_world/dying_for_fur_recent_investigation_shows_cruelty_a t_chinese_fur_farms.html - broken link)
Videos from the Humane Society showing animals being skinned alive (Don't watch unless you want nightmares)

So what can we do?

- Write your senator and let him know what is going on. The US needs to let China know that this is unnacceptable and put pressure on them to end the cruelty.
- Write to the Chinese Ambassador to the United States and the Chinese Minister of Commerce. Be firm, but polite. Threats and insults will not accomplish anything. A personalized letter is best, but if you don't have the time or inspiration, you can also use a sample letter such as this one. You can find many more sample letters if you surf around a bit.
- Support organisations working in China to end this travesty. Animals Asia is perhaps the most involved right now, but the WSPA and IFAW are also present in China.
- Let other people know what is going on and ask them to write letters as well, much like I am doing now.

I fully expect the anti-animal crowd to chime in with spiteful comments, but I don't care. If I could move one other person to take action then all the negative comments in the world won't bother me. Thank you for your help!

Old 09-08-2009, 06:51 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,003 times
People do not want to read or know about this. They'd rather froth at the mouth over a football player and think they've accomplished something. Maddening though cruel thugs may be. Nice try, but this thread isn't going anywhere.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
I didn't open any link and only read a little bit of the post. It's sickening and I just can't take it. I agree something needs to be done but I am too faint-hearted to do more than give money to an organization to take it on.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
I wish you the best of luck, but frankly, letters from the US to China aren't worth a bowl of beans. You can't make them treat their humans any better; what makes you think you'll change the way they treat animals? I wish you could change it, but the fact remains you won't. There's much more push from many more very well known people in this country trying to get them to change the way they treat children, and they're ignored.

In the meantime, I focus my energy here in the US. You'd be surprised at the sick things that go on in this country and the courts do nothing to bite down on it. We need stricter laws here for the people that are torturing the animals in our own country. Let's get us straight and then try to tackle other countries.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,003 times
True, there's an over-whelming amount of work to be done in this country.

In July the largest dog fighting ring in US history was broken up. Over 400 "pit bulls" were rescued. Volunteers from the Oregon Humane Society and, I'm sure, many other organizations are in Missouri to help with the rescue and rehabilitation efforts.

Nor do I have the emotional capacity to handle these cases directly. All I can do is donate money to outfits who do such tremendously difficult work. And to support groups the OP referenced.

For China and Korea and other countries like that? Stop buying their meat, leather, furs (including "faux" fur). I believe it was in 2007 when we imported over 3 billion pounds of meat from China - I doubt it all came from "happy cows."

This stuff is depressing. God bless those who can handle it.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:13 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,134,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I wish you the best of luck, but frankly, letters from the US to China aren't worth a bowl of beans. You can't make them treat their humans any better; what makes you think you'll change the way they treat animals? I wish you could change it, but the fact remains you won't. There's much more push from many more very well known people in this country trying to get them to change the way they treat children, and they're ignored.

In the meantime, I focus my energy here in the US. You'd be surprised at the sick things that go on in this country and the courts do nothing to bite down on it. We need stricter laws here for the people that are torturing the animals in our own country. Let's get us straight and then try to tackle other countries.
EXACTLY what I was thinking....also in agreement w/SeeBee. I have only so much emotional energy to give, and for the sake of my faith in humanity I can't think too much about what can't be done. Bless you for trying.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:26 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
True, there's an over-whelming amount of work to be done in this country.

In July the largest dog fighting ring in US history was broken up. Over 400 "pit bulls" were rescued. Volunteers from the Oregon Humane Society and, I'm sure, many other organizations are in Missouri to help with the rescue and rehabilitation efforts.

Nor do I have the emotional capacity to handle these cases directly. All I can do is donate money to outfits who do such tremendously difficult work. And to support groups the OP referenced.

For China and Korea and other countries like that? Stop buying their meat, leather, furs (including "faux" fur). I believe it was in 2007 when we imported over 3 billion pounds of meat from China - I doubt it all came from "happy cows."

This stuff is depressing. God bless those who can handle it.

aaaaahhhhh yes.... another FINE PROUD moment for us animal lovers in the show-me state........

Old 09-10-2009, 09:02 PM

If even the people who do care stand by idly, then indeed nothing is ever going to change. Remember: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Writing letters has proved effective before, having prevented several dog culls in China for example. At the very least it keeps the topic fresh in their minds. Supporting the aforementioned organisations is obviously tremendously helpful as well, but a handful of activists can only do so much. They need our support.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:38 PM

141 posts, read 293,182 times
So, what about the inhumane, disgusting, and downright awful torture and mistreatment of "food" animals going on in our own USA? Why aren't people trying to stop that before going and telling the Asians what they can and cannot eat?

Old 09-12-2009, 04:13 PM

Last I checked, cows and pigs weren't intentionally skinned and boiled alive in the US. It's a moot point regardless, considering I'm vegetarian, so you can forget about the hypocrisy accusation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets