Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:18 PM

47 posts, read 161,541 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used Philly Car Share/ZipCar or any other type of rentals in the city? If so, what are your thoughts and/or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 08:59 PM

14 posts, read 39,999 times
I've used carshare through my employer. Because the company pays the tab, I can't speak to price but as far as convenience and ease of setting up and changing reservations, it is great! In my experience, the customer service has also always been incredibly helpful and friendly. There are places to pick up cars all over the city so you never need to go far to get your rental.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:37 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,286 times
ZipCar is the way to go. The Philly-centric crowd will say PhillyCarShare, but should you actually ever decide to leave this 'burg and travel elsewhere, you'd be able to use your ZipCar membership in other cities. I've never had any issues with ZipCar since joining three years ago, and love it. I've used it in two other cities where it's been cheaper than the traditional rental car companies. http://www.zipcar.com/philadelphia/r...search-by-time

Old 06-27-2010, 07:28 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,407 times
Zipcar is far more expensive than Phillycarshare. They're really not competitive at all, which led me to choose Phillycarshare. If you're in another city, you're probably going to want to rent a car.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:54 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Zipcar is far more expensive than Phillycarshare. They're really not competitive at all, which led me to choose Phillycarshare. If you're in another city, you're probably going to want to rent a car.
actually, the price, customer service and reliability are what made me leave PCS for Zipcar.

Zipcar is more expensive per hour but you don't pay mileage and the annual fee adds up to a lot less than the PCS monthly fees. That and since Zipcars always have gas cards in them you never have to worry about faxing in your gas receipts and, as a result, the cars are usually filled up.

PCS has agreements with carsharing orgs in other cities but I don't know that much about it. When I went to Pittsburgh I stayed downtown and took the bus or light rail just about everywhere I needed to go. I really wanted to go check out Falling Water which is about an hour outside of the city. Zipcar was perfect. I did the same thing in Toronto last year. It's the same thing if you go to Boston or San Francisco or Chicago. You don't need a car but they do come in handy sometimes.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:16 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
actually, the price, customer service and reliability are what made me leave PCS for Zipcar.
I did the same thing. Zipcar is definitely the better value if you use it for long 100+ mile trips. PCS is better for short trips around the city.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:09 PM

47 posts, read 161,541 times
Sounds good! thanks for all of the info! I will only be needing a car 1 time per week to go around the city, so it sounds you guys are saying philly car share will be my best bet, even though I have to pay for miles

Old 06-29-2010, 10:21 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey224 View Post
so it sounds you guys are saying philly car share will be my best bet, even though I have to pay for miles
sit down and price them both out.

With PCS, if your trips are typically less than 6 miles then that's the better bet.

For me, I don't need a car to get around the city. That's what the bus and subway and taxis are bicycles are for. I need a car to get out of the city. Going to the beach. Going to that giant movie theater in Cherry Hill. Going to visit my in-laws. Et cetera.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:40 PM

744 posts, read 775,848 times
I agree that zipcar has better service and pricing. I still use PCS because they have a pod a block from my house and the closest zipcar is ~10 blocks away.

I would take pod location into your decision as well.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:47 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey224 View Post
, so it sounds you guys are saying philly car share will be my best bet, even though I have to pay for miles
nope, didn't say that...and not the consensus, but do what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: