Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:36 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,765 times

Advertisements

I was reading a New York thread of this kid from Kansas who was visiting New York to see the ghetto areas, and they were recommending areas for him to go.

I was wondering, where are the very worst, most decrepit areas of Phila? Specific blocks where the rowhomes have nothing but a boarded up facade?

Maybe it's possible to link google streetview to the areas.

For example, I'm not talking about busy drug corners like Kensington and Somerset - more like areas in West Philly which are creepy, dilapidated, dark. Completely bombed out.

Where can you go for blocks without seeing an occupied rowhome? Please link to google streetview if possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 06:42 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
why

Old 12-31-2010, 06:55 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
I once went north on N 13th St trying to avoid bad rush hour traffic and at it's northern end, between York and Glenwood, well north of Temple there were many empty shells and houses missing all together replaced by empty lots or whole empty blocks and it was summer time and most of the area was overgrown with untrimmed trees and weeds. It wasn't particularly ugly but it was very quiet, devoid of people and kind of spooky since it's only a block from crowded Broad St. South of York they were building new housing and I guess it will continue to move north until some day the place I am talking about will be all redeveloped.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:58 AM

I think the ugliest parts of Philly are the oil refineries in the SW towards the airport and the auto parts/scrap yards on Passyunk/Enterprise Av. north of the auto mall.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
How about Strawberry Mansion? Abandoned, dilapidated houses, garbage strewn lots, etc.

Of course Kensington has a well deserved reputation for being dodgy.

One place I find scary in West Philly is Mount Moriah Cemetery. To think Betsy Ross was once buried there. Kissessing at 62nd St.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:22 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I think the ugliest parts of Philly are the oil refineries in the SW towards the airport and the auto parts/scrap yards on Passyunk/Enterprise Av. north of the auto mall.
I always hated that one of the major routes from the airport takes visitors past these refineries. This is not the best welcome to Philly...

Old 01-02-2011, 06:25 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I always hated that one of the major routes from the airport takes visitors past these refineries. This is not the best welcome to Philly...
Didn't one of the recent (Rendell, maybe?) Philly mayors require cabs to take I95 instead of the Platt Bridge/291 route because the latter was so ... unaesthetic? Ironically, one of the best murals in the city - Welcome to Philadelphia - is on a tank in the Sunoco refinery, more or less across from the auto scrap yard. You could easily miss it when you're coming off the Platt and focusing on traffic, activity at the scrap yard, and/or taking in the view of Center City.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Frank, I love that mural. I used to pass it every day because a year ago I was working in Wilmington and living in West Philly.

The Sunoco oil refinery is not ugly in my opinion. It is an industrial landscape that I actually find interesting, reminds of the the great works by early twentieth century American "Precisionist" painters like Charles Demuth and Peter Blume.

Back in 2004 my uncle came to live with me after he lost his condo in Miami Beach and he had never lived in Philly. We were driving around and he remarked that he didn't like all the rowhouses; it somehow looked so working class and banal to him. To me there is a kind of beauty in the brick row homes, I find it charming that this is a city of homeowners and it's a place where people sometimes sit on their front stoop.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,272 times
I think the along Kensington Ave. between Girard and Erie Aves. under the Market-Frankford El is very creepy looking with ugly 3 story buildings with shuttered store fronts on the lower floor and abandoned apartments on the upper two stories. It has been that way since the 1980s and have since gotten worse.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
I think the along Kensington Ave. between Girard and Erie Aves. under the Market-Frankford El is very creepy looking with ugly 3 story buildings with shuttered store fronts on the lower floor and abandoned apartments on the upper two stories. It has been that way since the 1980s and have since gotten worse.
On the other hand if you are lonely and looking for a "date", Kensington is still the neighborhood to go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia