Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
On the other hand if you are lonely and looking for a "date", Kensington is still the neighborhood to go to.
That is very valuable information, bryson. Thank you. Once in great while I do get lonely and need a "date."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 09:02 AM

128 posts, read 267,829 times
Scrap yard near Patterson Ave.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
why
Why? Because urban decay is interesting. Should I have okayed this thread with you prior to its creation, Frankgn87?

Old 01-03-2011, 01:02 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,683 times
I personally found the SW oil refinery/scrapyard area intriguing when I was a child. Something about huge flames, billowing smoke, smashed up cars, and that baseball thing (is that still there,) intimidates you. It's not a gentle introduction to the city at all, true, but it does throw the industrial muscle of the city right at your face when you come in from the Platt bridge.

My father was fairly upset when they closed down the sausage sandwich stand right there where you turn at the scrapyard.

The ships and the stadiums are a better introduction to the city, imo.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,973 times
Quote:
On the other hand if you are lonely and looking for a "date", Kensington is still the neighborhood to go to.
LOL. I know I revived an old thread but I had a good laugh when I saw this. Kensington Ave.'s reputation is even known out here in Columbus Ohio.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:56 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,776,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
LOL. I know I revived an old thread but I had a good laugh when I saw this. Kensington Ave.'s reputation is even known out here in Columbus Ohio.
I really only knew about it because so many pros were murdered by "the kensington strangler" and their bodies were found in empty lots and it got a lot of publicity. I don't know if he was ever caught but all the fuss has died down.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:17 PM

25 posts, read 151,387 times
...badlands [fairhill, hunting park]...um, southwest...north...lower kensington in northeast...parts of south [southwest center city area, southwark, etc.]...lately though, a lotta' renovation and condominiums and new buildings and houses...tryin' a' shift the demographics of the neighborhoods...gentrification boom, illegal immigrant boom...all types a' dynamics...can't say this is the solution to the dilipidation...I know at one point, phila. was reported to have the most abandoned houses/buildings in the country...

Old 04-09-2011, 02:45 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,973 times
Quote:
I really only knew about it because so many pros were murdered by "the kensington strangler" and their bodies were found in empty lots and it got a lot of publicity. I don't know if he was ever caught but all the fuss has died down.
They have finally caught the dirtball. I hope that this non human piece of garbage gets the electric chair as soon as he is found guilty ( That ain't goung to happen because of the very lenghty appeal process). The women he killed may have not been at a good point in their lives but they were someone's daughter ,sister , friend, aunt niece etc. .How heinous!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:42 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I was reading a New York thread of this kid from Kansas who was visiting New York to see the ghetto areas, and they were recommending areas for him to go.

I was wondering, where are the very worst, most decrepit areas of Phila? Specific blocks where the rowhomes have nothing but a boarded up facade?

Maybe it's possible to link google streetview to the areas.

For example, I'm not talking about busy drug corners like Kensington and Somerset - more like areas in West Philly which are creepy, dilapidated, dark. Completely bombed out.

Where can you go for blocks without seeing an occupied rowhome? Please link to google streetview if possible
my company is global and its headquarters is in texas. so we get a lot of people from texas flying over to new jersey. there was one guy who's never been to nyc but told us that he's more fascinated with newark and the crime. and he'e excited to go there first.

we all looked at him and said: "why?? why would you choose to visit newark over nyc?" nutjob
i should've offered to drop him off in camden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia