Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 PM

889 posts, read 2,575,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
No, not Tuesday either.

www.readingterminalmarket.org

(that being said, and yes it's a great place, I don't know if I'd recommend it for a 2 and 5 year old.)
The kids I see there seem to like the experience. I'm talking weekends, Saturdays at lunchtime. Maybe it's cause they get to choose their food from among all the colorful sights, sounds and smells in there. In hindsight, maybe it's not so good for two year olds. But, hey you can always walk a few feet and you're out the door back into the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 PM

434 posts, read 1,313,308 times
I definitely agree with the suggestion to go to the Please Touch Museum. My kids (3 & 5) can't get enough of that place! Please Touch Museum: Homepage
It might be helpful to know the PTM is part of the Association of Childrens' Museums (ACM) reciprocal program, which means that if you have a membership to any ACM location nationwide you can get into the others, including Please Touch. Here's the list of ACM reciprocal museums: Association of Children's Museums

My kids also enjoy the dinosaurs at the Academy of Natural Sciences. They have a neat exhibit where they can dig for fossils too. Academy of Natural Sciences | Natural History Museum in Philadelphia

I always ran into nice people at Three Bears Park on Delancey St. between 3rd & 4th Sts. It's a small playground, but might be helpful to burn off some steam.

Gelato at Capogrio is a wonderful treat. There are a few in the city. Capogiro Gelato Artisans : Makers of Fine Artisanal Gelato and Sorbetto

The Philadelphia zoo and Adventure Aquarium in Camden (across the river in NJ) are also great.
Philadelphia Zoo - Home
Adventure Aquarium > Home

Also on the NJ side of the river (near the Camden Aquarium) is the Battleship New Jersey, which you can tour. Battleship New Jersey

Of course, try to visit the historic sites... Beginning with the Independence Visitors Center (6th & Market Sts.). It's a beautiful building full of friendly people who can give you guidance on the nearby attractions. WELCOME TO THE IVCC :: INDEPENDENCE VISITOR CENTER | PHILADELPHIA
The National Constitution Center is particularly cool, though admittedly not all that entertaining for little kids! National Constitution Center: Home
The US Mint is free and kind of neat for a quick visit. The United States Mint About Us

Have fun!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 PM

65 posts, read 136,957 times
Any hotel suggestions?

was looking at hotel palomar, le meridien, doubletree. any suggestions for a great view?

Also any good LOCAL food places?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:36 PM

434 posts, read 1,313,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayYoungblood2 View Post
Any hotel suggestions?

was looking at hotel palomar, le meridien, doubletree. any suggestions for a great view?

Also any good LOCAL food places?
The Sheraton Society Hill is in a good spot if you want to be near the historic stuff. There's also a LOWES hotel on Market St (across from a Marriott) with high floors so I assume there's a reasonable view. Don't stay at the Hyatt at Penn's Landing... Although it's on the river you'd be looking at the lousiest part of New Jersey, plus it's not a good spot to see much of the city.

Check out the menu at Jones. The restaurant is a funky cross between the Brady Bunch set and a ski lodge. It serves food that the kids will like and fun drinks for the adults. Jones

There are several Marathon Grills throughout the city. They're kind of upscale diners and my kids like those too. Home*—*Marathon :: Serving the Neighborhood

Ralph's in South Philly is the place everyone raves about as the best local Italian food. Frankly I don't think it's all that special, but...? Ralph’s Italian Restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia