Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,383 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going to be moving to the Philadelphia area in the next couple of months. I'll be working in downtown Phila and we want to end up buying a single family home with a yard in a good school district (no kids yet, but soon) within about a 30-45 minute commute North of the city in the $300K price range. We'll likely rent for the first year; so renting closer to the city wouldn't be a problem as we'll be able to look around on the weekends. I'd like to be around $1,500 - $1,600/mo in rent and would need at least a 2/2 and dog (85lb black lab) friendly.I've heard Trenton is rough but is there anywhere East of Trenton that fits these criteria or do we need to look West? Being from South Florida, we'd prefer to be closer to, rather than further from the beach but this isn't a must.
Feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 03:21 PM

908 posts, read 1,829,912 times
Collingswood NJ

Old 05-28-2011, 10:50 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
may i ask why you want to be north or the city? Chester county, delaware county, montgomery county, and south and west of the city. bucks is just north and west, which a great county as well.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:17 AM

cpomp - thanks for your recommendations. My wife's family is in NY and, though I'll surely get killed on this blog for this: I'm originally from NY and am a Giants and Yankees fan.

Last edited by ktmillerfla; 05-29-2011 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 05-29-2011, 02:08 PM

haha, well if you live in one of the counties its not much farther than living north or the city, all of them are great areas to live, if you were to consider. youll prolly get more s*** from people over the for the fact that your a giants fan more so than the yankees. Phillies fans hate mets fans more than the yankees. I guess just get used to it lol. A friend of mine is a cowboys fan and lives in philly burbs, he gets harassed a lot, usually all in good humor though.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:23 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
I think Bucks County is your best bet, specifically the Langhorne and Feasterville/Trevose areas considering your budget and desired commuting distance to the city. It's as close as you get to the shore for the PA 'burbs and in good proximity to New York for visiting family (also perhaps more friendly to Yankees/Giants fans what with the many NY/NJ relocatees living in that area).

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:06 PM

Thanks cpomp & duderino! Appreciate the feedback.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 PM

35 posts, read 83,334 times
I'm moving from swfl to philly area as well. Im not sure if you have lived outside fl but you will like the seasons. Winter sucks at times, but you get the idea! You can look In wayne,bryn mawr, devon if you like the idea of commuting by train which is pretty reliable. Look up septa r5. Anywhere along in those areas near rt30/lancaster Ave will put you within 5 min of a train station.

Feel free to pm me as well.

Mike

Old 06-02-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5250 View Post
I'm moving from swfl to philly area as well. Im not sure if you have lived outside fl but you will like the seasons. Winter sucks at times, but you get the idea! You can look In wayne,bryn mawr, devon if you like the idea of commuting by train which is pretty reliable. Look up septa r5. Anywhere along in those areas near rt30/lancaster Ave will put you within 5 min of a train station.

Feel free to pm me as well.

Mike

Though these are great locations with excellent schools, you might want to suggest some more towns that are more affordable, a nice single family home in those towns mentioned is in most cases 550k upwards.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,940 times
If you want decent access to NY (ie on weekends), i would live in montgomery or bucks counties, in one of the areas close to the PA turnpike and/or I-95. Trenton is really far from philly if you're commuting to center city every day and of course Trenton proper is not nice at all. Maybe try looking along the SEPTA route that runs through that part of Bucks County (Yardley, Langhorne, etc) in the Pennsbury and Neshaminy SDs. A little further west along the PA turnpike the Hatboro-Horsham area may be worth looking at.

Some of the suburban NJ areas would be good as well, but i would personally rather live in PA than NJ for a variety of reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia