Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 PM

67 posts, read 294,900 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I can park if my apartment is at 2040 Locust Street in Center City? I only need to park for about a week. I'm just bringing a load of my stuff and taking my vehicle back to Texas. Are there garages in that area that charge by the day? Do you have to make a reservation... or do u just show up?

I probably sound like an idiot, but I have no idea how parking works there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 02:16 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times
This might help: Philadelphia Parking Garage Rates - Compare Daily/Monthly Prices Lots

There are essentially parking garages all over the place. I have no idea what's good and what's not, but that's the website I point people who visit me and have cars.

I assume you're moving here for college and have settled on center city? If you're working in center city, you might find it easier to just ditch your car once you're here for good. Particularly since it's easy to get over to Penn on a trolley (or depending on where you are at Penn, it can even be a pleasant walk). But that's your call.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 PM

67 posts, read 294,900 times
That website is Awesome!!! Thanks so much. I am moving there to go to school and i will be ditching my car and utilizing public transportation as well as my legs! Thanks again for the website.... so great.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Well great location at 20th and Locust, just off Rittenhouse, enjoy and welcome

BTW if this snow ever melts and spots open up you can park your car on some streets south of South St (5-6 blocks) for free

Old 02-11-2011, 04:27 AM

212 posts, read 610,754 times
You may be able to get a temporary/guest parking permit for residential parking. Call the PPA 215 683-9730

Old 03-04-2011, 05:24 PM

521 posts, read 1,314,133 times
hah! So after looking at Fairmount/Francisville area (Corinthian St) and a few others, seems you settled on the most expensive and best part of central Philly (Rittenhouse Square). Congrats!

20th and Locust means you will be right where the Curtis Institute is... may be able to catch many of their free afternoon recitals where their students (future stars) perform in front of limited audiences.

But just beware that if you liked Deep Ellum for its funkiness and want something similar in Center City, Rittenhouse isn't that; Rittenhouse is the tony part of town (I'm sure you can tell by the rent you'll be paying) and kind of similar to Uptown Dallas in that sense though I guess with not quite as many d-bags and pretentious people. Actually, overall Philly is a huge change of pace compared to Dallas in terms of people's down to earth and upfront nature.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:51 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbug35 View Post
That website is Awesome!!! Thanks so much. I am moving there to go to school and i will be ditching my car and utilizing public transportation as well as my legs! Thanks again for the website.... so great.
Just so you know, you don't necessarily have to ditch your car completely. I moved here from school, live in the same neighborhood as you do, and just got a parking permit. It's only $35 a year. Having a car comes in handy for weekly trips to Target/Wegmans.

On that note, I still take public transit/walk/bike everywhere during the week. My car just stays parked.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Threads View Post
You may be able to get a temporary/guest parking permit for residential parking. Call the PPA 215 683-9730
This is correct. You can get a permit for 30 days for any vehicle, even if not registered to the city.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
hah! So after looking at Fairmount/Francisville area (Corinthian St) and a few others, seems you settled on the most expensive and best part of central Philly (Rittenhouse Square). Congrats!

20th and Locust means you will be right where the Curtis Institute is... may be able to catch many of their free afternoon recitals where their students (future stars) perform in front of limited audiences.

But just beware that if you liked Deep Ellum for its funkiness and want something similar in Center City, Rittenhouse isn't that; Rittenhouse is the tony part of town (I'm sure you can tell by the rent you'll be paying) and kind of similar to Uptown Dallas in that sense though I guess with not quite as many d-bags and pretentious people. Actually, overall Philly is a huge change of pace compared to Dallas in terms of people's down to earth and upfront nature.
Eh, I live in Rittenhouse and pay pretty cheap rent. As a matter of fact, it's cheaper then some of the comparable places I looked at in West Philly/U City. Rittenhouse isn't always that expensive and there are all types of people here.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:14 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Eh, I live in Rittenhouse and pay pretty cheap rent. As a matter of fact, it's cheaper then some of the comparable places I looked at in West Philly/U City. Rittenhouse isn't always that expensive and there are all types of people here.
Yeah - it really does depend. Lots of stuff in Rittenhouse - even on my block, even my next door neighbors, is wildly expensive. When I moved to Philly in the summer, I really wanted to live in Center City, but thought it would be too expensive, and was prepared to find a good deal near Center City. I actually wound up taking the cheapest apartment I saw in Center City because it was the nicest - I saw two that were slightly more expensive but were real dumps. I'm paying a little more than I would have in the Powelton apartment I looked at, but actually still saving money - since me and my wife both work in Center City and the difference in rent is less than two monthly septa passes would be.

Just took a little bit of time and patience. Kept my eye out on craigslist for a couple of weeks trying to figure out what companies looked decent and such. I actually owe someone some kudos going all the way back to my first post on city-data who told me that if I wanted to live in Center City to just be patient, that it's not just for rich people. This is easily the nicest place I've ever lived in in my life, and I don't feel out of place being a pretty simple and low key person who just wanted an extremely walkable neighborhood. I see plenty of people like myself about anytime I go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia