Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 02:31 PM

22 posts, read 65,948 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22yo recent college grad and I've accepted a job in Newtown Square. Since I'm young and single I figured a room with roommates would work just fine. My budget for a room would be around $650 a month. I don't own a car/license so I would have to commute via bus/train until I get one. It's not a problem however since I'm from NYC and 1hr+ commutes using the train doesn't bother me too much.

So mainly I'm looking for advice on a good diverse area for a young guy, where commuting via a bus/train to work and facilities like a super market/mall wouldn't be too much of a hassle. I'd prefer a city like area with a young crowd. Philadelphia itself looks like a good option but I heard the wage tax is pretty bad. Exactly how much is it if anyone knows? I'm thinking it might be worth it considering the convenience but any other advice on areas near Newtown Square would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:59 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,177,929 times
Newtown Square is only transit accessible via the 104 bus. At the western end of the route, West Chester will be your best for a younger crowd as the state university of the same name is located there. The downtown area there should more than suffice until the weekends although you'd be in for a long haul into the city. While it would take about a half hour to go from West Chester to Newtown Square - and I'm assuming your employer is located off West Chester Pike - it would take another half hour or so just to get to the eastern terminus at 69th Street in Upper Darby on the edge of Philly. From there, you would hop on the Blue Line "El" train for another 15-20 minute ride into Center City. While an hour-plus train ride might be relatively comfortable, the El/bus combination isn't.

Also $650 is a bit on the low side, at least for a managed apartment complex. If you can bump that up to $800, that might expand your options.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Newtown Square is only transit accessible via the 104 bus. At the western end of the route, West Chester will be your best for a younger crowd as the state university of the same name is located there. The downtown area there should more than suffice until the weekends although you'd be in for a long haul into the city. While it would take about a half hour to go from West Chester to Newtown Square - and I'm assuming your employer is located off West Chester Pike - it would take another half hour or so just to get to the eastern terminus at 69th Street in Upper Darby on the edge of Philly. From there, you would hop on the Blue Line "El" train for another 15-20 minute ride into Center City. While an hour-plus train ride might be relatively comfortable, the El/bus combination isn't.

Also $650 is a bit on the low side, at least for a managed apartment complex. If you can bump that up to $800, that might expand your options.
Thanks, West Chester seems like a very good option. I've only been looking on CL and the 650 was in regards to renting a single room since most seem to be below that range...I wouldn't mind bumping it up to 800 if it's worth it though.I've been looking at some rooms available in Center City as well. For most rooms in the area the commute according to google map looks like (MFL - 104) is the MFL the "El" train you were talking about and if not would you say the MFL/bus combination is better than the El/bus?

Also, If there're any other room/apartment sites you recommend please let me know.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentfull View Post
Thanks, West Chester seems like a very good option. I've only been looking on CL and the 650 was in regards to renting a single room since most seem to be below that range...I wouldn't mind bumping it up to 800 if it's worth it though.I've been looking at some rooms available in Center City as well. For most rooms in the area the commute according to google map looks like (MFL - 104) is the MFL the "El" train you were talking about and if not would you say the MFL/bus combination is better than the El/bus?

Also, If there're any other room/apartment sites you recommend please let me know.

MFL (Market Frankford Line) and the El (Elevated)are one in the same

The MFL is subway and elevated in other parts.

Also not sure if Media PA (worth looking into as closer burb proximity and a pretty good DT area) is along that bus route or not

PT to the burbs is not the best in the philly area though much of the core is fairly well connected.

If you are going to use the MFL you may want to look at University City, No Libs, and Fishtown as all are on the MFL and have a lot of recent grads and may be a little less expensive than some other areas of Center City

Here is some info on Center City that may be useful

http://www.centercityphila.org/life/Neighborhoods.php

Last edited by kidphilly; 05-20-2011 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-21-2011, 07:22 AM

Thanks guys, I guess I'll focus primarily around the west chester area and the MFL areas in center city.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:12 PM

148 posts, read 412,045 times
You may also consider Manayunk, East Falls, and Unviersity City. These are neighborhoods in Philly. Parking is terrible in Manayunk, but it has a lot of great stuff for 20 somethings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia