Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2022, 01:50 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt47 View Post
Philadelphia and it's suburbs are great in terms of their historical character, the arts, interesting neighborhoods. I'm from here, I like it a lot. My point is that development GROWTH into the 21st century simply isn't occurring here, and a few nice new or remolded buildings really doesn't mean much. The region is not growing much in terms of population/economy so it can't possibly add impressive mixed use projects across the whole region that enhances it's appeal. Again, that's why stuff keeps propping up around ultra-dominant locations like King of Prussia, for instance, because it's just not feasible for a developer to bring something to an unproven area where they wouldn't get volume of customers and return on investment. So yea we will see a few things here and there, but the snails pace growth and lack of shift in demographics won't lead to anything great.
I'm really at a loss for what your points are here; there are some things you seem to be conflating, completely ignoring, or you aren't acknowledging context:

1. There is literally no city in the Northeastern US that matches growth in the South and Southwest, but it's completely off-base to compare them anyway. You're talking about centuries-old settled urban areas versus cities 100 years ago that were little more than highway outposts--obviously they haven't reached a level of mature growth. But they soon will, mark my words. Growth does not occur infinitely anywhere.

Population growth isn't the only factor in profitability/investment. The Philadelphia region, especially the PA side, has widespread affluence and is home to an overall population of over 6 million people, and abuts the largest metro area in the US, with another 21 million people and a whole gargantuan mountain of affluence. On what planet does the region not provide "the volume of customers" for developers to achieve success and profitability? I mean, jeez, King of Prussia itself is one of the Top 5 highest grossing malls in the country. Philadelphia is literally one of the most "proven" consumer markets there is.

3. Essentially every major development project to date is now "mixed use." It has to be in today's economy to have any traction/ability to obtain financing. NEW major mixed-use development has occurred/is occurring in places like Malvern, Conshohocken, Newtown Square, Collegeville, Cherry Hill, Newtown, Upper Dublin, Downingtown, Wilmington, Exton, Bristol, etc. etc. The list goes on and on. Because again, this is a major metropolitan market with major money.

There's more I could respond to, but I'll leave it there. The overall point: you're getting the economic strength of the Philly region and the "flash in the pan" growth of other cities very twisted.

Philadelphia already HAS the population, wealth, and institutional maturity that newer/faster-growing cities are still trying to achieve. It's not an up-and-coming city; it arrived long ago but continues to reinvent and reinvest in itself.

Last edited by Duderino; 01-10-2022 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 02:02 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
"Science Cures Cancer: Here is Why Its a Bad Thing":
-Future city data post

Old 01-10-2022, 02:50 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
"HOPING people sign up for units"

As yes, also known as "building on spec" which is a sign of confidence in the area, not despair.

This forum will find a way to turn any positive into a negative.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
"HOPING people sign up for units"

As yes, also known as "building on spec" which is a sign of confidence in the area, not despair.

This forum will find a way to turn any positive into a negative.
So true. The naysayers and doomsdayers really just can't help themselves.

And for the record, there were multiple articles over the summer noting that the city and metro occupancy rate for apartments was at 96-97%. If anything, that's a sign that there's a continued undersupply.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:34 PM

386 posts, read 265,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robt47 View Post
Exactly, Philly is not an up and coming and city. That's my only point.

Touting reuse and renovation of a few individual buildings in Center City and University City--which people just before me were posting--isn't saying much. Especially when those conversions are for benefit of a government agency here and there, a colossal health-care system, and apartments/condos. Developers building these residential properties, HOPING people sign up for units isn't saying anything for the region AS A WHOLE. Adding slow-to-rent apartments mostly to Center City Philly, without anything else isn't doing anything. There is plenty of wealth in Philly concentrated in suburbs, but go out to suburbs and you don't see anything emerging that's truly transformative OVERALL. Repurposing and chopping up former retail/commercial space or unused buildings for Jefferson Health or Penn Medicine is not a very good thing. Oh, and reconfiguring existing buildings into warehouses to handle growing e-commerce. That's happening everywhere. So what?

There is no new development that's enhancing people's everyday quality of life for themselves and their families. People shouldn't hide their eyes of what this metro area is offering compared to other cities. Like Dallas--a city which is 170 years old, by the way. Even in the face of a pandemic, the following 69,000 square feet entertainment complex opens in March.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/evo-ent...s-forth-worth/
I know you’re just trolling so I’m not sure why I’m responding but how does a 69,000 sq feet entertainment complex show that Dallas is better than Philly? Xfinity Live which is an 80,000 sq foot entertainment complex opened within the past 10 years. Dilworth Park is a great public space opened in the last decade that transformed that area and enhanced every day life for residents. The new Market East development transformed the area and enhanced every day life in the city. The new beer gardens all over the city, explosion of new restaurants etc. I could go on. I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about.

Yes cities like Dallas continue to boom with more and more suburban sprawl as the cities expand but I’m not sure how that’s transformative or improves every day quality of life for the residents. It’s just more of the same.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
I like the new guy. The cheerleading for a city that isn't so great gets old.
Pointing out positives isn't "cheerleading;" it's reality.

It's only "cheerleading" to those who refuse to accept that there are any positive attributes and would rather wallow in relentless misery.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:57 PM

471 posts, read 272,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
I like the new guy. The cheerleading for a city that isn't so great gets old.
Well, when there are people who over-exaggerate the bad and refuse to say anything good... it's logical for those who like it here to feel compelled to point out the good, especially when the ones with the worst things to say don't actually live here.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:31 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Eh, whatever. It doesn't matter at all what these online slobby trolls say. As they continue to stuff Twinkies down their pie holes (getting fatter and slobbier ) and try to crap on the city, the city is poised to explode into pre-war prosperity. I guess they can figure out their next steps of hate-mongering from the basements of their moms' airlight homes. They might not even understand that last sentence as it include possessives. Oh wait, most don't even live in the city anymore. Oh well, again, who cares what the idiotic fatty supremist have to say? I mean, really...
I agree. But these trolls have hijacked every Philly thread and get off on posting crap 20 times a day. Philadelphia 2035 is (was) the only thread that was not taken over, until this newest kook came along out of nowhere.

Everyone please report Robt47, I already reached out to several mods. He if she/she has an issue, they can Private Message me.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:46 AM

979 posts, read 416,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Well, when there are people who over-exaggerate the bad and refuse to say anything good... it's logical for those who like it here to feel compelled to point out the good, especially when the ones with the worst things to say don't actually live here.
Except the new poster DID say some positive things. The cheerleading squad ignored it - as per usual. The cheerleaders do a good job of focusing in on the negatives. Must be tough going through life like that. People who work in the city, used to live in the city, or live in the suburbs have just as much say as the city-dwellers.

Last edited by henrychen; 01-11-2022 at 05:10 AM..

Old 01-11-2022, 04:55 AM

979 posts, read 416,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree. But these trolls have hijacked every Philly thread and get off on posting crap 20 times a day. Philadelphia 2035 is (was) the only thread that was not taken over, until this newest kook came along out of nowhere.

Everyone please report Robt47, I already reached out to several mods. He if she/she has an issue, they can Private Message me.
You're over-exaggerating. Why try to ban people who see the city differently than you? It's childish. Ever hear of the blocking feature? And what's with the 'kook' from the cheerleading squad that's an angry, drunken, reformed racist, low-income housing slumlord that's obsessed with fat people and rowhomes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia