Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Information related to 25 year plan for Philadelphia

YouTube - ‪Philadelphia2035: The future begins now.‬‏

And the link to the complete plan
http://www.philaplanning.org/plans/final2035vision.pdf (broken link)

Main site
http://phila2035.org/

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 10:43 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
First of all, it's great to have a plan instead of turning the city over to developers for their short-term gain. Hopefully about half of these ambitions will come to fruition, with some I know, already in the works. In terms of re-development, the new master plan for the riverfront looks interesting, as well: Revising strategies on Delaware waterfront | Philadelphia Inquirer | 06/12/2011

Lots of good potential looking forward.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
First of all, it's great to have a plan instead of turning the city over to developers for their short-term gain. Hopefully about half of these ambitions will come to fruition, with some I know, already in the works. In terms of re-development, the new master plan for the riverfront looks interesting, as well: Revising strategies on Delaware waterfront | Philadelphia Inquirer | 06/12/2011

Lots of good potential looking forward.

So many things to do. On the waterfront I actually believe the more recent recomendations of creating smaller scale development and integrating the street grid and neighborhoods is likely a more realistic goal than the many incarnations of public space/concrete and chain stores that have been proposed.

On the link I really like the idea of that green space that can double as a show place with the stage and screen. A slightly larger more green Piazza and could see something of sort becoming quite a draw. Also the gridded pattern and hopefully mixed use will create mixed uses, draw people and hopefully intertwine into the neighbprhood feel that Philadelphia is. Will be interesting to watch all of this over the next 25 years but it appears we may end up with more usable rivers on both ends.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
. . . but it appears we may end up with more usable rivers on both ends.
The Schuylkill gets better and better. Work starts this fall to extend the path with a new boardwalk from Locust to South Street. Also, bids are now being solicited by to convert the big empty behemoth sitting near South St and Gray's Ferry: CHOP plans million-sq-ft project at South St. site (Update) | PhillyDeals | 06/08/2011

Old 06-14-2011, 12:51 PM

Not sure if this garden is a bad thing, but to me a garden on a prime CC lot is likely a mis-use and would be better served with more jobs and buildings to capitalize on the infrastructure and location. I am all for public garden space but in the middle of the CBD?

Not sure where to place this link but this just begs that the Philadelphia plan 2035 seems to miss the HUGE pink elephant in the room. How does Philly attract good jobs into the downtown.

In depths of Philadelphia, the plot beckons - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localsjc/20110614/ts_yblog_localsjc/in-depths-of-philadelphia-the-plot-beckons?bouchon=504,pa - broken link)

Old 06-14-2011, 01:53 PM

^^^ Figure the garden is a temp thing. Rather than having a big gaping hole in a prime location, this seems a reasonable use for the area until the economics support a high-rise office tower. That said, something about it still strikes me as "country."

As for attracting jobs, that's indeed the pink elephant in the room. As you know, I came from Houston where, with oil above $100/barrel, this is not an issue at the current time. I also lived there in in the late 80s when oil was around $10/barrel, and it became a housing foreclosure capital with "see through" office buildings and empty strip centers everywhere. My point is these kind of things come and go with the ebb and flow of the economy.

Being new here, I am still getting my arms around what drives the local economy, as there is no overwhelmingly predominant industry I can see, as was the case in Houston. Seems like healthcare, pharma, education and tourism are the local economic backbones. Wish I knew the answer to building a more robust economy - I could probably do pretty well consulting. The wage tax is certainly a disincentive for anyone considering bringing jobs to town. The location is a huge advantage, however. Perhaps Philly can make a play at those considering NYC - after all, COL is much less here and IMO, QOL is much better, as well.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 AM

Another interesting link

http://www.delawareriverwaterfrontco...port110609.pdf

Old 06-16-2011, 12:43 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,569 times
The only way this city is going to get more towers is public money!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:08 AM

Well believe the Electronic Ad Bill for Market East goes to vote today - will see as this is one of the pieces to help stimulate developement and funds for Market East

Planning supports creation of commercial advertising district to glitz up and fix up Market Street East | PlanPhilly: Planning Philadelphia's Future

Old 06-17-2011, 01:45 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well believe the Electronic Ad Bill for Market East goes to vote today - will see as this is one of the pieces to help stimulate developement and funds for Market East

Planning supports creation of commercial advertising district to glitz up and fix up Market Street East | PlanPhilly: Planning Philadelphia's Future
If not over the top, I think this is a realistic way to drive more development and activity in Market East. The city should not, however, try to replicate Times Square. Too much advertising is just plain tacky. Some creative advertising can really be used to augment -- not overtake -- the character of a corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia