Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:36 PM

148 posts, read 411,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
First of all, it's great to have a plan instead of turning the city over to developers for their short-term gain. Hopefully about half of these ambitions will come to fruition, with some I know, already in the works. In terms of re-development, the new master plan for the riverfront looks interesting, as well: Revising strategies on Delaware waterfront | Philadelphia Inquirer | 06/12/2011

Lots of good potential looking forward.
jm02, I totally agree. We see in the suburbs what happens when developers have more control over what happens. Valuable farmland disappears, the communities are car-dependent, and the development is bland and cookie cutter.

I would really like to see the City work with developers to promote adaptive reuse of old and historic buildings. This really helps to preserve the character of neighborhoods. Obviously, there are some buildings that need to go, like some of the old factories. I also think that new rowhouses should blend into the neighborhood. Don't do some trendy design when a nice brick rowhouse would do and would fit in much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 05:53 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
If not over the top, I think this is a realistic way to drive more development and activity in Market East. The city should not, however, try to replicate Times Square. Too much advertising is just plain tacky. Some creative advertising can really be used to augment -- not overtake -- the character of a corridor.

Agree but the good part is that each building is also required to put 10 million back into the property for improvements. I think it could be done tastefully and adding intrigue to the area. Apparently many of the building owners have already expressed interest understanding the 10 million dollar commitment. Hopefully this area will see some postive development and become an area that feels safe and vibrant. For a key CC thoroughfare it is awful today

Old 06-23-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well believe the Electronic Ad Bill for Market East goes to vote today - will see as this is one of the pieces to help stimulate developement and funds for Market East

Planning supports creation of commercial advertising district to glitz up and fix up Market Street East | PlanPhilly: Planning Philadelphia's Future

Just passed city council unanimously

Old 06-23-2011, 03:10 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChelle View Post
jm02, I totally agree. We see in the suburbs what happens when developers have more control over what happens. Valuable farmland disappears, the communities are car-dependent, and the development is bland and cookie cutter.
that's not exactly true. for the most part, the townships themselves not only encourage that kind of development, but dictate it. often times the older town centers would be illegal to replicate under modern zoning codes. that isn't to say developers don't like cheap farmland with utilities paid for by the municipality and lax water mgmt requirements but it's false to pin the blame solely on developers.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:46 AM

Bill allowing flashier signs on East Market in exchange for investment passes city council | PlanPhilly: Planning Philadelphia's Future

Old 07-13-2011, 11:28 AM

The Day - CIGNA announces CT jobs, relocation of headquarters | News from southeastern Connecticut

Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 AM

43 posts, read 77,780 times
glade Philly will finally get a plain to fix the place up. My grandmother grew up in Port Richmond and now we took her back to the area and she could of cried. The place is a dump now and no one seems to car. People are letting homes go to crap and trash is all over the place. So if we can make a plain to make Philly better then it will make more people want to check the place out.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
A least Cigna is still keeping the majority work force at Two liberty.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:37 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
does anyone know why cinga is relocating.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:47 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
does anyone know why cinga is relocating.
If I understand correctly, the state of CT is offering lucrative incentives for companies that will move 200+ employees there. While its good news that the bulk of Cigna's jobs will stay here, Id be cautious as the initial re-lcaotion to trigger a slow migration north. HQ staff typically want their subordinates at their disposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia