Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times

Advertisements

Very cool article today in The Inquirer on Germantown. For those unaware, Wayne Junction is set to receive a $30 Million makeover. I know Germantown has many detractors but the potential of the neighborhood is impossible to ignore.

Germantown's obvious, yet elusive, potential | Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/09/2011

Wayne Junction has such frequent train traffic, it is a sin the type of condition it is in. Hopefully a clean and functional transportation center could spur growth not only in Germantown, but through Nicetown to Broad and Erie down to Temple (I Know, I'm getting ahead of myself).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 05:43 AM

469 posts, read 925,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Very cool article today in The Inquirer on Germantown. For those unaware, Wayne Junction is set to receive a $30 Million makeover. I know Germantown has many detractors but the potential of the neighborhood is impossible to ignore.

Germantown's obvious, yet elusive, potential | Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/09/2011

Wayne Junction has such frequent train traffic, it is a sin the type of condition it is in. Hopefully a clean and functional transportation center could spur growth not only in Germantown, but through Nicetown to Broad and Erie down to Temple (I Know, I'm getting ahead of myself).
Very nice post. Like I said before,I never had any problems when I was living in West Germantown. I also notice a lot of the big victorian style homes, are being bought by young hipsters and they are really fixing them up.
LOL,I notice that some neighborhoods can do no wrong on here. Because of my job,I know for a fact,that some not so nice things are happening in some of these so called perfect neighborhoods.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:19 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
While I agree that a revitalized area around Wayne Junction makes a lot of sense given the ease of access to Center City, I think it will take a long time to see that area revive. It's rough, very rough. I'm much more optimistic for Germantown to meet its potential in the area surrounding the town hall building.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:49 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
While I agree that a revitalized area around Wayne Junction makes a lot of sense given the ease of access to Center City, I think it will take a long time to see that area revive. It's rough, very rough. I'm much more optimistic for Germantown to meet its potential in the area surrounding the town hall building.

I agree - the eastern edge of Germantown (around Wayne Junction) is rough, and that's a tough sell. The only way I see this revitalization effort being at all viable is if a lot of investment happens on Germantown Ave itself, to connect from Wayne Junction all the way up to the town hall area with a decent streetscape and maybe a renovated trolley line.

The part of Germantown Avenue with the most potential, I think, is the part by Germantown Friends & Greene Street Friends Schools, where Market Square, and the Germantown Historical Society is (about mid-way between those two points). That's pretty close to the Germantown station on the R7(or whatever they're calling that train line now), the Cunningham Piano Factory Building, the old Ashers Candies factory, and those old department store buildings around Germantwon & Chelten aves. Nice balance of 18th century houses, historic storefronts, and 19th-20th century industrial buildings which could make for great lofts right around there. And the neighborhood is already relatively nice just to the west of there down School House Lane, and over in the Penn-Knox (sub)neighborhood, so it's less daunting than the area around Wayne Junction.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:04 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watty1 View Post
Germantown is not going to improve. The same people that caused Germantown to go downhill are still there.
Yes I know, the message you sent me said it all. There is no reason to have legitimate discussions with people that think in such simple terms.

I heard they were building beautiful cookie cutters in the suburbs of the exurbs. White only, of course. You should look into that, you'd be safe, or maybe not.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watty1 View Post
Germantown is not going to improve. The same people that caused Germantown to go downhill are still there.
Donna Reed Miller and Emanuel Freeman are gone.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:41 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
I think if Philly pushes it and Septa rebuilds High level platforms Developers will flock to both sides of the JCT. Developers needed a push in Jersey city and parts of the Bronx , but once they get going they won't stop. Restoring the 23 Trolley sooner might speed things up aswell.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:17 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I think if Philly pushes it and Septa rebuilds High level platforms Developers will flock to both sides of the JCT. Developers needed a push in Jersey city and parts of the Bronx , but once they get going they won't stop. Restoring the 23 Trolley sooner might speed things up aswell.
I don't agree on either point. The station alone won't change the neighborhood, no matter how high end the renovation. The street level is the problem here despite some good architectural bones. Developers would need to see something at that level.

Regarding the 23, the trolley sounds nice but is impractical compared to buses. It's a commuter route on a busy but not very wide thoroughfare. The trolley isn't any quicker and I wouldn't imagine it seats many more people than a bus. The disadvantage is that nobody can pass it - a bus at least pulls over every block to pick up and discharge which allows traffic to pass.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I don't agree on either point. The station alone won't change the neighborhood, no matter how high end the renovation. The street level is the problem here despite some good architectural bones. Developers would need to see something at that level.

Regarding the 23, the trolley sounds nice but is impractical compared to buses. It's a commuter route on a busy but not very wide thoroughfare. The trolley isn't any quicker and I wouldn't imagine it seats many more people than a bus. The disadvantage is that nobody can pass it - a bus at least pulls over every block to pick up and discharge which allows traffic to pass.
The 23 trolley worked fine on Germantown Ave for many years until they phased it out in the 80's. They brought back the 15 after it got phased out around the same time, and that 's been a successful venture (though yes, on a wider street).
It does add something to the streetscape. And while it may not be the absolute most efficient form of transport for commuting purposes, maybe it wouldn't need to be. There are already multiple bus routes in the neighborhood that connect to the subway, and to Wayne junction. A restored 23 trolley could be an attractive way just to connect and get people out to all the existing but not well-connected historical attractions up and down the avenue.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
The 23 trolley worked fine on Germantown Ave for many years until they phased it out in the 80's. They brought back the 15 after it got phased out around the same time, and that 's been a successful venture (though yes, on a wider street).
It does add something to the streetscape. And while it may not be the absolute most efficient form of transport for commuting purposes, maybe it wouldn't need to be. There are already multiple bus routes in the neighborhood that connect to the subway, and to Wayne junction. A restored 23 trolley could be an attractive way just to connect and get people out to all the existing but not well-connected historical attractions up and down the avenue.
not really, the 15 isn't very reliable (less so than the bus)and hasn't particularly spurred any investment. been to haddington lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia