Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 04:40 AM

25 posts, read 53,002 times

Advertisements

The wife (from Levittown) and I (London) are thinking about relocating back to Philadelphia. When we do we will stay with the inlaws for a while and explore potential places to live but would be interested in a few views.

Assuming I will work in central Phily, any tips on where to start looking? Priorities are:
  • Within 45 mins train ride (total commute time of 45 mins or less) with the option to drive in within 45 mins.
  • Close (within a 20 mins walk?) to a town centre with a 'high street', i.e. coffee shop, bakery, movie theatre, few nice restaurants and independent shops - I hate strip malls and refuse to live anywhere where that is defined as the 'town centre'
  • After 10 years in London I don't want a busy street, I'd like a garden where I don't have neighbours 10 yards away over the fence - so if somewhere exists that has a small town community feel with also a little rural feel too
  • Good schools and low crime
  • I like doing outdoors stuff - cycling, walking the dog in the park, golf etc so any areas where there's plenty of green space is good
  • In laws will be in Levittown, so would want to be within 45mins of them if possible
  • would consider NJ if that's a better option
Budget is up to $850,000

Thanks - be greatful for your views
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times
Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia Pick one!

Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,591,271 times
Yardley would work for you although the train ride is closer to an hour.

Yardley Alive - Yardley - Community Website: Businesses, Dining, Events, Attractions, and More

Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,130,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
good list there. on the NJ side i'd add Westmont and Haddonfield.

I think it will be relatively easy to find most of what you're looking for. I think it's reasonable to expect that you can find a house on 1/4 acre (give or take a few feet) but if you're looking for anything more than that it will be a little more difficult to live in an older town with the amenities you want and also find houses on large lots. Not impossible. Just difficult.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times
I agree with Haddonfield. Close to Philly and and amazing town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia