Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 PM

7,277 posts, read 10,620,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiance7 View Post
Thank you so much everybody! I'll google the places you mention.

The hotel does have a shuttle from the airport, but that is it.
I was trying to avoid getting a car, but it seems I will have to.
I an not into malls or shopping (weird for a Fla girl, I l know)
While the museums will be closed after 5, where do the locals go in the evenings? Maybe nice Coffee places or some jamming?
I'll be in class over the weekend too so my only day time is really the 6th from 3pm and 11th from 1pm. Not much uh?
Just a bit of advice. If you still must get a car, I'd strongly recommend parking at a train station and taking that into the city. From Malvern, it's very difficult to get into the city without hitting tons of traffic on 1-76. You should be able to park at the Malvern or Paoli stations and save yourself a lot of time (and a headache) on the days you'd like to go into the city. It is often cheaper, as well, when you factor in gas and parking expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,840,121 times
Quote:
The hotel does have a shuttle from the airport, but that is it.
...While the museums will be closed after 5, where do the locals go in the evenings? Maybe nice Coffee places or some jamming?
I'll be in class over the weekend too so my only day time is really the 6th from 3pm and 11th from 1pm. Not much uh?
according to the link provided above, they do have a free shuttle to the train station.
" ... Our hotel shuttle can pick you up from the Paoli Train Station at no charge."
Paoli is also a stop on Amtrak's Keystone corridor which is 25 min to 30th st. It would certainly be more convenient to have a car but if it saves you money, it appears to be possible to do without it.
The Desmond has a nice deck on which to sit and have a drink. Nearby is the flying pig saloon which is a nice place. If you do rent a car, west chester is a large town with a university...some good places to eat, fennario's coffee is as good as it gets.
Quote:
I am going for training to Philly, I will get there Wednesday 6th around 3pm. The training doesnt start until next day at 8:30. It goes all the way till Mon 11th at 1pm and I am staying in town until Next day, the 12th at 2:30pm ...I am somewhat bohemian and artsy, I like history.
...I would also love to visit a local fresh market or something the locals consider typical...
if you're travelling light, forego the shuttle from the airport and go directly downtown to the Reading Terminal Market which is open until 6, but the amish are there only until 4:30 or so...you can take a cab ($28) or regional rail. grab a bite to eat (beck's trainwreck cheesesteak, dinic's roast pork sandwich are both good bets)and perhaps some local produce or cheeses to take back to the hotel. from there you can take septa's regional rail to paoli and catch the shuttle there. wednesday rush hour outbound will be full, but runs often and has expresses. this is probably you're best bet to see the terminal as far as I can tell...and if you're a market person, you'll want to see the terminal.
if you're an early riser, catch an amtrak train on the 12th to 30th, check your bags at the station, and head out for breakfast (parc is nice, right on rittenhouse sq, bake their own baguettes).
also worth noting, you'll want to reserve tickets for independence hall since you're time constrained. leave that for monday since the market is closed that day.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,789,537 times
The problem is that you just don't have enough time to do any sightseeing. I recommend driving in in the evening after rush hour because the traffic will be much lighter and you can crisscross the whole downtown area back and forth and see a lot in a few hours. If you take the train you won't be able to cover much ground on foot even if you knew where you were going when you walk out of the train station. I wouldn't waste my time sitting in a bar because if you have seen one you have seen them all. You might as well stay in your hotel. Better to cruse the streets and observe the architecture and the people and see a few landmarks like Independence Hall, even if it is just from the outside.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 AM

46 posts, read 69,294 times
Quote:
if you're travelling light, forego the shuttle from the airport and go directly downtown to the Reading Terminal Market which is open until 6,
I like this idea, I can travel light (1 backpack)
I realize I didnt plan this very well I will have to do more nighttime happennings.
Live and learn I soupose...

Old 05-04-2012, 02:50 PM

58 posts, read 146,627 times
If you want a beautiful and interesting evening stroll try the Center City Philadelphia neighborhood
called Society Hill. The area and houses within it pre-date the United States. There are courtyards,
pedestrian streets, romantic churchyards with the graves of famous and intersting people, lovely
(and expensive) homes, etc., etc.
Pine and Delancey Streets where they cross 3rd, 4th and 5th Streets is where you want to be. There will be places to eat, drink and people watch just north around Chesnut Street and just south
along the funkier South Street.
Society Hill is south of the tourist stuff around Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. The Market East Train Station is at 11th Street so it's an easy walk or subway ride to 5th Street. Market and Chesnut Streets are the most direct routes to the Liberty Bell but they are also the ugliest and least
pleasant. Walk along Walnut, Locust or Pine, it's much nicer.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:35 AM

429 posts, read 720,539 times
Even if you only get a chance to visit Philadelphia in the evening: come! Take a haunted Philadelphia walking tour around Independence Hall or come for dinner and a walk around. Philadelphia is Very walkable.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM

108 posts, read 255,424 times
If you like bohemian and artsy stuff then visit South Street. I'm surprised nobody recommended it. At the very least, see Philadelphia's Magic Gardens on South Street. There are also a few remaining punk and goth stores on South Street and various artsy restaurants like Creperie Beau-Monde.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:55 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrobbins View Post
If you like bohemian and artsy stuff then visit South Street. I'm surprised nobody recommended it. At the very least, see Philadelphia's Magic Gardens on South Street. There are also a few remaining punk and goth stores on South Street and various artsy restaurants like Creperie Beau-Monde.

When is the last time you have been to South Street?

Im not sure bohemian is the word I would use any longer for South Street. Its changed quite a bit over the years. Still very interesting but just not bohemian like it was back in the day.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:19 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,789,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Im not sure bohemian is the word I would use any longer for South Street. Its changed quite a bit over the years. Still very interesting but just not bohemian like it was back in the day.
If the OP is on foot she will only have time to see one or two places, particularly if she takes time to eat. South St wouldn't be on my short list either but how do you decide which are the most important attractions not to be missed? While it is a tragedy that she will miss so much, I think I would stick to Old City and Society Hill since that is the most unique part of Philly. Rittenhouse and the financial district and Wash West and Logan Circle and the museum district isn't much different than other large US cities so that is what I would skip. Of course if she drives she can see it all. She could invite others from her group to come along with someone being navigator and watching the map. Maybe on the way home stop in Manyunk for a late dinner.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM

108 posts, read 255,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

I always visit South Street when I'm in Philadelphia and I visited the city often last year. There are still quite a few restaurants on the street that I have not eaten at. I've bought CDs at Digital Ferret and Repo Records. I also went to a few bookstores. South Street may not be terribly bohemian but it is still better than any other street in the entire state. Most streets have no character at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia