Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 AM

735 posts, read 1,132,682 times

Advertisements

First of all, you may live in South Philly but you aren't from South Philly. There's a difference between the two.

Point Breeze is what is used because that's what the people who grew up there use, if anything. Nobody from South Philly would ever use the word "Newbold" to describe anywhere. Secondly, South Philly is more than just a name. It's a part of the identity that people from South Philly have. Go ahead and try to tell Black Thought that South Philly is a made up name.

No, it was in Point Breeze, 2600 Moore. The point is that Point Breeze is every bit South Philly. If that school were still there, nobody would be calling any part of it "Newbold". It had to lose its connection to the rest of South Philly in order to become this "hip" neighborhood people want to move to.

No. Sorry, but you don't get to rename neighborhoods you didn't grow up in.

First of all, I never said it was rebranded within the past ten years. I said that about "Newbold". Secondly, it was not re-branded 60 years ago. 60 years ago, it was being re-inhabited by artists. If you can't even get the time period correct then don't try to be speaking as an authority on the history of a place. None of the examples of neighborhoods you just gave were re-branded by realtors or developers the way Newbold and SoHo were. Lastly, New York existed for hundreds of years before SoHo was invented to describe a post-industrial wasteland that had become popular with artists. Go ahead and try to tell somebody who grew up in New York that New York is just as much a fabricated place as SoHo. It doesn't mean something to be from SoHo, or Newbold, or DUMBO, because they don't actually exist. It does mean something to be from New York, Point Breeze, Strawberry Mansion, Parkside, Olney, and Overbrook. By the way, the majority of the neighborhoods in places like North Philly back when it was mostly white were just considered "North Philly". Strawberry Mansion is named for the historic mansion within its boundaries. They aren't realtor names. They were used to distinguish neighborhoods from one another, and not always for positive reasons.

Nope. I'm pretty sure you used it wrong, and you used it based on your own nonexistent logic. I sincerely hope that you're finished flexing your nonexistent superior intellect now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,667,491 times
Hey, I see you've finally thought of a clever name. But not really sure what you're even fighting about here. Calm down, man.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 AM

2,943 posts, read 4,150,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post

But anyway. I am currently living in the 21st century poster child for gentrification (Brooklyn), and it's been hilarious to watch neighborhood name boundaries change, stretch and bend practically every year as realtors try to convince newcomers that they're not actually moving to say, Bed Sty, Crown Heights or Flatbush. You can joke about it, but at some point, people get attached to "Clinton Hill", "Prospect Heights" etc, and those places become real neighborhoods. And the same thing's been going on for many decades. Nature of the beast.
It's cool. I'm just pointing out that a. names change. b. in the case of NoLibs, the current definition is a good deal smaller than the original definition and c. there's a big difference between the hucksterism you get from developers and real estate agents and the names that happen organically and stick.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
First of all, you may live in South Philly but you aren't from South Philly. There's a difference between the two.

Point Breeze is what is used because that's what the people who grew up there use, if anything. Nobody from South Philly would ever use the word "Newbold" to describe anywhere. Secondly, South Philly is more than just a name. It's a part of the identity that people from South Philly have. Go ahead and try to tell Black Thought that South Philly is a made up name.
Actually, i've been living here for longer than I ever lived anywhere else. My kids were born here. That makes me from here. When I go to LA and people ask me where I'm from I say i'm from here. I don't tell people I'm from some place I haven't lived in 20 years.

More importantly, even though most of my neighbors have lived here for 20+ years most of them were born in other countries, other neighborhoods, or other states.

I'm not saying everyone calls Newbold "Newbold." Most people don't call EPX, "EPX" either. But 60 years ago Point Breeze was just as much a made up name as Pennsport was 40 years ago as Bella Vista was 30 years ago as Passyunk Square was 10 years ago. That doesn't mean that people don't know where they are.

Quote:
No, it was in Point Breeze, 2600 Moore.
OK man, you don't what you're talking about. 26th & Moore is in Grays Ferry. Always has been. There is a GIANT railroad viaduct that runs the length of 25th St. in South Philly that separates Point Breeze from Grays Ferry. It's been there for 100 years.

Quote:
The point is that Point Breeze is every bit South Philly. If that school were still there, nobody would be calling any part of it "Newbold". It had to lose its connection to the rest of South Philly in order to become this "hip" neighborhood people want to move to.
Point Breeze is in South Philly. So is Pennsport. So is Girard Estate. So is Packer Park. So is Newbold. They're neighborhoods that make up a section of the city. Tacony, Oxford Circle and Lawncrest are all neighborhoods in the section of the city known as the Northeast.

Quote:
Well, for one, I didn't rename anything. I just live here. Two, you can complain all you want. It's too late.

Quote:
First of all, I never said it was rebranded within the past ten years. I said that about "Newbold". Secondly, it was not re-branded 60 years ago. 60 years ago, it was being re-inhabited by artists. If you can't even get the time period correct then don't try to be speaking as an authority on the history of a place.
Wow. SoHo was recorded as an historic district 40+ years ago. It was called SoHo for decades before then.

Quote:
None of the examples of neighborhoods you just gave were re-branded by realtors or developers the way Newbold and SoHo were. Lastly, New York existed for hundreds of years before SoHo was invented to describe a post-industrial wasteland that had become popular with artists. Go ahead and try to tell somebody who grew up in New York that New York is just as much a fabricated place as SoHo.
You're talking to that person and I just told you that. My family has been in Brooklyn since 1870 (still there). Greenpoint and Park Slope and eventually Flatbush and Midwood. My dad lived in the Village until the early 90s when he moved back to Midwood. He just moved to Florida 4 years ago.

Realtors didn't coin the term SoHo. Developers had zero interest in SoHo until the early 90s.

Quote:
They aren't realtor names. They were used to distinguish neighborhoods from one another, and not always for positive reasons.
That's what names are for. To distinguish neighborhoods from one another. Case in point -
Realtor name - JuNoGi. Survived about two years.
New name coined by people from the neighborhood - New Kensington. Survived about a decade so far.

Realtor name - Graduate Hospital South. Never got off the ground.
New name coined by people from the neighborhood - Newbold. Survived about a decade so far.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:01 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,667,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
It's cool. I'm just pointing out that a. names change. b. in the case of NoLibs, the current definition is a good deal smaller than the original definition and c. there's a big difference between the hucksterism you get from developers and real estate agents and the names that happen organically and stick.
Well, I agree 100% with a. , 75% with b. (minor technicalities could lead to debate), and 80% with c. (just because sometimes those real estate names do stick).
So,we're basically on the same page!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:05 PM

735 posts, read 1,132,682 times
Quote:
Actually, i've been living here for longer than I ever lived anywhere else. My kids were born here. That makes me from here. When I go to LA and people ask me where I'm from I say i'm from here. I don't tell people I'm from some place I haven't lived in 20 years.

More importantly, even though most of my neighbors have lived here for 20+ years most of them were born in other countries, other neighborhoods, or other states.

I'm not saying everyone calls Newbold "Newbold." Most people don't call EPX, "EPX" either. But 60 years ago Point Breeze was just as much a made up name as Pennsport was 40 years ago as Bella Vista was 30 years ago as Passyunk Square was 10 years ago. That doesn't mean that people don't know where they are.

OK man, you don't what you're talking about. 26th & Moore is in Grays Ferry. Always has been. There is a GIANT railroad viaduct that runs the length of 25th St. in South Philly that separates Point Breeze from Grays Ferry. It's been there for 100 years.

Point Breeze is in South Philly. So is Pennsport. So is Girard Estate. So is Packer Park. So is Newbold. They're neighborhoods that make up a section of the city. Tacony, Oxford Circle and Lawncrest are all neighborhoods in the section of the city known as the Northeast.

Well, for one, I didn't rename anything. I just live here. Two, you can complain all you want. It's too late.

Wow. SoHo was recorded as an historic district 40+ years ago. It was called SoHo for decades before then.

You're talking to that person and I just told you that. My family has been in Brooklyn since 1870 (still there). Greenpoint and Park Slope and eventually Flatbush and Midwood. My dad lived in the Village until the early 90s when he moved back to Midwood. He just moved to Florida 4 years ago.

Realtors didn't coin the term SoHo. Developers had zero interest in SoHo until the early 90s.

That's what names are for. To distinguish neighborhoods from one another. Case in point -
Realtor name - JuNoGi. Survived about two years.
New name coined by people from the neighborhood - New Kensington. Survived about a decade so far.

Realtor name - Graduate Hospital South. Never got off the ground.
New name coined by people from the neighborhood - Newbold. Survived about a decade so far.
This right here is what I have a problem with. You are NOT from South Philly if you didn't grow up there. People ask you what school you went to or what parish for a reason. Whether you don't live there anymore, you're from where you grew up. If I moved to North Philly and lived the rest of my life there, I still wouldn't be from North Philly. Even if I did move there and live there the rest of my life, I would never say I were from North Philly if asked where I was from by somebody even as far away as Peru. I'd say I'm from right outside Philadelphia, as I always do. You can only be from a place where you didn't grow up when you're either a transient who's never had a steady home or an immigrant. That's why your neighbors from other countries can claim to be from South Philly. It's merely where they settled. Then again, to be fair, if you're from outside of the metro but have lived in Philly for decades, you could probably tell somebody from outside the area you're from Philly. It's moreso frowned upon if you have stayed in the metro your whole life and say you're "from Philly" as opposed to "from outside of Philly".

You're comparing places that are well known in Pennsport and Point Breeze to a made up name like Newbold and South of South. How do you not see that these are not comparable? One is a place full of working class Philly people, and the other is a place increasingly full of better-off newcomers. One is a community that has gone through hardship and has had to fight crime and blight, and the other is an increasingly trendy neighborhood seen more as part of the core of the city.

You seem to not be able to grasp the point I am making. The point I am making is that Point Breeze (which according to Google Maps ends at 27th street, making the school within its boundaries) is a part of South Philly, just like less "trendy" parts of South Philly are a part of South Philly. We wouldn't be having any back and forth about what the neighborhood was called if that connection had not been lessened over the years. That's the only way people not from South Philly were able to move into that neighborhood.

You're again contradicting yourself and making my point for me. I'm not sure exactly what you think you're correcting me about by doing this.

Nobody's complaining. You're being insulting and trying to define a place where you didn't grow up based on some invented "neighbors association" and I'm refuting what you're saying. Maybe if you were more of an adult, you would be capable of not using such childish language towards others.

40 years ago is not 60 years ago.

People from the neighborhood coined the term New Kensington ten years ago? No, it was coined by newcomers to that neighborhood. There is a HUGE difference between the two. Again, people FROM the neighborhood didn't coin the name Newbold. People who MOVED TO the neighborhood did. Again, there's a huge difference between the two. The people who coined the name don't even pretend that they're from the neighborhood. They've admitted in interviews they didn't grow up there and created their association because they felt the other neighborhood association wasn't listening to them.

You say you've lived in South Philly for 20 years. I think you've been there long enough then (and more importantly far back enough) that I don't have a problem with you telling people from outside the area you're from South Philly. What I do have a problem with is you trying to make names of neighborhoods full of people growing up in hardship, sections of the city, and other long-established places out to be as nonexistent as made-up neighborhood names, claiming you're from South Philly in order to do this, and being completely unnecessarily insulting while doing it. Your insults and overreactions to my pointing out that your examples of "not trying to be New York" were done after the success of New York-style re-branding in New York were unnecessary and unwarranted. Since you feel the need to repeatedly insult me, here's one for you: You belong with those other self-satisfied asshats on philadelphiaspeaks.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:46 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,868,252 times
Quote:
Sorry but that's just ridiculous - mostly b/c i know the people who coined the name and they were born & raised in that neighborhood.

1. I'm not typing out Lower Moyamensing or Northern Liberties every time I want to mention them. b/c, FWIW, I'm busy and i can do w/o it. Thanx. If I want to talk about East Passyunk Crossing you can be damn sure i'll be using EPX to describe it - just like QV or BV for those neighborhoods.

2. New York doesn't own shortened place names. That's like saying they own soft pretzels or taxis. No one in LoDo, SoMa, SoBe, K-Town, WeHo or any other neighborhood in any other big city is "trying to be New York". It's just convenience.
I can see that I was kind of wrong about this. I do think it was copied off of New York and I don't like the idea of Philly "trying to be New York," but in this case, it's mostly practical, so it's ok. I don't remember anyone talking about NoLibs 15 years ago, but I was pretty young then, so maybe it was just my narrow worldview.

As long as someone doesn't create dowisetrepla.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
As long as someone doesn't create dowisetrepla.
oh man . . . where in the world would that be?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,573,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post

No, it was in Point Breeze, 2600 Moore. The point is that Point Breeze is every bit South Philly. If that school were still there, nobody would be calling any part of it "Newbold". It had to lose its connection to the rest of South Philly in order to become this "hip" neighborhood people want to move to.

First of all, I never said it was rebranded within the past ten years. I said that about "Newbold". Secondly, it was not re-branded 60 years ago. 60 years ago, it was being re-inhabited by artists. If you can't even get the time period correct then don't try to be speaking as an authority on the history of a place. None of the examples of neighborhoods you just gave were re-branded by realtors or developers the way Newbold and SoHo were. Lastly, New York existed for hundreds of years before SoHo was invented to describe a post-industrial wasteland that had become popular with artists. Go ahead and try to tell somebody who grew up in New York that New York is just as much a fabricated place as SoHo. It doesn't mean something to be from SoHo, or Newbold, or DUMBO, because they don't actually exist. It does mean something to be from New York, Point Breeze, Strawberry Mansion, Parkside, Olney, and Overbrook. By the way, the majority of the neighborhoods in places like North Philly back when it was mostly white were just considered "North Philly". Strawberry Mansion is named for the historic mansion within its boundaries. They aren't realtor names. They were used to distinguish neighborhoods from one another, and not always for positive reasons.

Nope. I'm pretty sure you used it wrong, and you used it based on your own nonexistent logic. I sincerely hope that you're finished flexing your nonexistent superior intellect now.
randomuser is that you?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:02 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,868,252 times
Quote:
oh man . . . where in the world would that be?
Downwind of the sewage treatment plan, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia