Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 PM

5 posts, read 6,092 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I'm looking for some more info on what to expect as an "outsider" and more specifically, a Southerner, who is considering moving to Philly because I'm dating someone who lives there (not in the city proper, he lives in the suburbs - not sure if that will continue or if we will move in to the city). I have been searching the boards for a few months now trying to gather information, and I've read a lot of things, both positive and negative, but not sure I can draw a conclusion from any of it yet. Admittedly, the negative things I've read do make me a bit nervous; however, I realize there are negative things to be said about any city, and especially the one in which I currently live (and love).

I'm not looking to be "sold" on Philly as a choice. I've visited a handful of times so far, and I've had good experiences touring the city. There are many more job opportunities there than here, and I am even looking forward to experiencing more "true" seasons, weather-wise.

I suppose I'm most nervous about what I've read about rudeness, crime, and difficulty to meet new people/make friends as a transplant. I've moved around my entire life as an Army brat, so I'm not a stranger to being the "new girl", but overall I've lived in cities known for being friendly. In addition - here in NOLA, crime is obviously an issue but it's most prevalent in certain areas of the city and appears to be mostly drug- and gang-related. I've never felt unsafe in the city for the 3 years I've been here (I do use my common sense to stay out of the "bad" areas) Is Philly similar in those regards? Would it be safe for solo activities/running around town/etc.? I'm a late-20's-ish woman. BF told me a story about his friend's gf who was nearly abducted by 2 men, and it made me a little anxious.

Anyhow, any feedback/advice you have would be much appreciated. And if anyone has anything to offer on the differences/similarities between Philly & NOLA that would help me out a lot as a frame of reference, too. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
I'm no NOLA expert but I've been there a few times. One thing you may have noticed the transition from popular/safer neighborhoods to something different is more gradual. The neighborhoods of Center City and pretty much others that surround it are safe by city standards. Street wisdom is always useful, of course, though it sounds like you've accrued plenty of that. There are other nicer parts of the city as well that I'm sure your gentleman friend will guide you to.

Philadelphians have a rep for being blunt and gruff at first but as you hang out certain places more and get to see the same people, they will warm up to you. We're definitely as passionate about our sports teams as you may be about the Saints.

Not unlike NOLA, there are a lot of older/historic buildings in Philly. Market Street East (of City Hall) reminds me of Canal Street in a lot of ways. The Italian accents you hear may sound somewhat familiar as well.

I think you will be fine. It certainly helps that you'll have someone here that has a vested interest in your happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia