Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,276,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Actually, that isn't the definition of racism. Sounds more like Institutional racism to me or at most how one defines racism under their theoretical approach to social analysis. It isn't the actual definition of racism.
To me, it is my definition of racism. On an internet forum, however, I don't expect universal agreement with my expressed views. It won't change them, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 AM

14 posts, read 37,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Many people confuse prejudice with racism. Prejudice is an personal judgement of an individual based on their group identity. Yes, as a white man, certain balck people can be prejudiced against me. But if they don't have the power to use their prejudice in a way that harms me, there is no real negative impact on me. In other words, I may experience prejudice, but I don't experience racism. On the other hand, if I am the owner of a restaurant, a banker, a mortgage broker, a university admsisions officer, etc., and I am prejudiced, my prejudice might influence how I treat individuals based on thier group identity. This is racism.
As another reply to this pointed out definitions of racism vs prejudice, we need to stop worrying about categorization so much as the real heart of the problem which I believe you have a point on: ones actions from their 'racism/[prejusice' can affect others in their roles in society (i.e. bankers denying or making loans more difficult based on color, etc.). And we need to first know what all the prejudices /racist beliefs-actions are that affect others.

Unfortunatley, we are still at the point of our society that we need to 'categorize' everything first and have our psecial interest groups above resolving these issues.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:04 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,516,495 times
Indeed. Take for instance how many companies will deny someone based on how "black" their name sounds. Having said that, I do think definitions are important. It is the basis of Philosophical argumentation and, as shown in today's political climate, different definitions often lead to misunderstandings that then become irreconcilable out of choice and not necessity. Too many people argue like lawyers and not philosophers!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:31 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,189,238 times
On a somewhat lighter note, the latest Philadelphia Weekly features a parody of the Philadelphia Magazine feature called "Being Hot In Philly."

Philly Weekly mocks Philly Mag with 'Being Hot in Philly'

Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,556,248 times
ha - noice tone

Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,075,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Frank why are you acting like "White Flight" is some new phenomenon. Almost all major cities across the country are becoming more racially diverse. As for being a black city I will agree that the black percentage of the city did increase but they are not one monolithic group. You can't forget that there are African and Black Caribbean immigrants that are moving into Philadelphia as well.

A lot of the Philly suburbs are becoming more racially diverse as well. The days of having very populated suburban towns with over a 95% white population are not as common as they used to be. Do you have some sort of issue with diversity Frank? Is there something you really want to tell us?
My years of experience has taught me this....."diversity" drives down property values and school quality.

Sorry.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
WHO....CARES??? I don't suffer from "black guilt " either. SO I'm not caring. You see this works BOTH WAYS.
Frankly people like myself do not appreciate having to show or explain ourselves to others "mainly whites" that we are NOT like those "other blacks" you may have encountered on a subway car or somewhere. I don't care what the Phila Daily Rag says or what ya see on FOX 29, I'm knowing that's NOT half/or a third of blacks or puerto ricans in Philly or anyplace else.

Out of 600,000 black residents I'm sure there's probably only 10% that accepts life as it is for them and probably can care less about changing things for the better. I'll throw you a bone.... They "bust blocks" too! Black people leave neighborhoods all the time AND the city as well when undesirables move in and change the setting. Also when jobs are scarce in an area or the city in general....We move...and find theaters that are "less traveled" by the loud bunch. That's all I'll you.

As far as dealing with whites and some others I've encountered I've long ago stopped explaining my education or they'll get no answer or not the one they wanted to hear when asking me about my experience as professional camera operator and photographer or my serving in the 82nd Airborne & re-enlisting in the national guard in my early 30's and doing a combat tour in Iraq as well as a peacekeeping mission in Kosovo. If I had a dollar for all the times I've been asked by white men on commercial/music video shoots, depositions, weddings,etc; "So where'd you learn to use that? Where are you from? Were you in some sort of program?" See in those types of situations it's not about true curiosity but a open/hidden agenda with a slant on 'affirmative action" or charity....OR is the guy really smart enough to operate this equipment? Yep...seen it all. From the times my brother and I were chased through the blocks of SWP back in '72 up into the times we were pre-teens and being followed around the mall and other stores.

Even NOW in the present time it doesn't matter if my suit is Hugo or Brooks I still have to show "EXTRA" ID and jump through hoops when moving MY own equipment around a facility I'm shooting at and MOST (Not All) white guys lose their passes, claim their ID's are in the van, etc; etc; and get right through or onto a lot. My personal equipment is mines and over a 9 year period has grown rather large and is quite expensive, and I've had to endure embarrassment of being questioned with my own darn rig and pass hanging around my neck. Even my former employers at Raleigh Studios witnessed this nonsense first hand and when cashing studio checks that were issued by THEIR banks. They only did this crap to me and a black female who was an attorney before she went into production management... Yep....It's like that sometimes...a lot. SO I'm not caring too much about you not caring or your guilt or lack thereof. Cause there's none here.

Lastly, I've been renting in your beloved Northeast and haven't been in town for nearly two months but when I return this summer I'm looking to purchase. I'll be renting to my black & puerto rican relatives while I'm on the west coast.....
Noted.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I thought you were talking about me for a second-lol I was on my lunch break inside CVS and wanted to pay for a soda with my CC and when the young white girl asked to see a photo ID I did become annoyed because I felt like I being pre-judged as a criminal. It wasn;t like I was wearing a hoodie inside the store and trying to use the credit card so the fact that she didn't believe it was my card bother me. I still showed the ID but I didn't appreciate being asked for it and felt it was because I was black man.
I'm white and I'm often asked for ID when paying with a card.....especially if it's only for a buck.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 PM

289 posts, read 338,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
My years of experience has taught me this....."diversity" drives down property values and school quality.

Sorry.
Diversity is seldom good ... sometimes you have different cultures and religions that just don't mesh, and it has nothing to do with economics. Asian, white, black, Hispanic, Middle-Eastern, Jewish, Muslim, etc - we're all different and sometimes (due to experiences, comfort levels or tradition) we're not going to like certain traits about another culture. It's human nature.
Of course, the well-adjusted are going treat others as individuals, but I'd bet (and most won't admit to it, esp white Americans) most in the general population have a "people" they're not very fond of (for whatever reason).
e.g - Puerto Ricans vs Dominicans
Irish vs English
Chinese vs Japanese
Poles vs Russians
Argentinians vs Brazilians
As Huber was getting at, it just seems as if it's ok for everybody except for white Americans to be race/culture conscious.

Last edited by rraC ynnaD; 03-13-2013 at 09:18 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,078,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I'm white and I'm often asked for ID when paying with a card.....especially if it's only for a buck.

Well that's good to hear because I was thinking it was some racism going on at CVS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia