Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,315,899 times

Advertisements

I was wondering about the differences between the following counties:
Montgomery (eg. areas around Ambler) vs Chester (eg. West Chester, Exton, Malvern) vs Cental Bucks (Warrington).

Is there a general characteristic about each of these that you would like to point out? What is the positive and negative about each of them? Pro-growth? Bad for traffic? Good for transit? Which has better suburban downtowns? Access to job centers?

Just for reference, I have visited a fair bit of Montgomery county (KOP, Lansdale, Ambler). But not the other two areas.

Thanks very much, as I try to finalize my upcoming move to your metro!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
The 3 counties are very similar in their makeup.

They all possess a combination of older walkable towns,suburban sprawl, and pleasant countryside.Montgomery County which is the most populated has a few areas of grit(Norristown,Pottstown,Bridgeport).

It all depends on what location is better for you ,given your circumstance and preference.

Montgomery County has the best collection of walkable towns, most are contained along The Main Line.Montgomery is also easily the most centrally located county to various job centers. In fact Montgomery County is a huge employment hub in the Philadlephia region. King of Prussia,City Line Ave, Conshohocken,Plymouth Meeting,Fort Washington.

The 2 best walkable towns imo are Doylestown( Bucks County) and West Chester (Chester County). Then Media which is in nearby Delaware County. If you are into the artsy bohemian scene then you will enjoy Newtown/Yardley/New Hope area of Bucks County.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:33 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,875,013 times
rainrock just about summed it up very nicely.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:29 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,670 times
I would actually say that they all have their few areas of grit, as well as their suburban areas and rural areas. there's not much you can say about each of them in generalities. Unfortunately, the best suburban downtowns tend to be among the worst areas form a communiting perspective (ie. Doylestown, West Chester). There are all different types of areas in each county so i would set some priorities first then start to focus on specific areas - usually this comes down to commuting distance and price.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Unfortunately, the best suburban downtowns tend to be among the worst areas form a communiting perspective (ie. Doylestown, West Chester).
Except for The Main Line Communities and Delaware County Media/Swarthmore/Ridley Park which do not have much of an issue from a commuting perspective. All sit on rail lines and within minutes to major highways.

Indeed though West Chester and Doylestown are a bit out there.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:11 PM

Thanks everyone.

Are Malvern and Exton considered part of the main line? What town is considered the last town on the main line? Both towns seem to be close to or on the train line, is there any significant diffference between the two?

Thanks again!

Old 03-18-2013, 03:00 PM

187 posts, read 350,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Thanks everyone.

Are Malvern and Exton considered part of the main line? What town is considered the last town on the main line? Both towns seem to be close to or on the train line, is there any significant diffference between the two?

Thanks again!
Paoli is the traditional "last stop on the main line". According to wikipedia, Malvern is now included as part of the main line. That is a pretty recent change if true. I don't think there is a really definitive answer though - the train line (the former Septa R5, currently called the Paoli/Thorndale Line) is not a good way to determine it since it continues to Thorndale, which is certainly not a part of the main line.

Malvern is becoming more socio-economically part of the main line, but Paoli is where the businesses and towns situated right on Lancaster Avenue peters off. There are a lot of really wealthy people (new money and some old money) and big estates in Malvern.

I think few people would consider Exton part of the main line, although it is a nice area and is becoming nicer and pricier. Exton was more or less just a cross roads and mall until relatively recently. There is no real town of Exton.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Thanks everyone.

Thanks again!
Malvern has more money than Exton, and Exton(still nice) has more traffic, main differences.

On a side note: Exton is not part of the main line. A lot of people who live in Exton, West Chester, and definitely Newtown Square(Delaware County) associate themselves with the main line. Though they are are very nice and wealthy areas they are not part of the main line.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,237 times
All three counties offer the same thing including a nice mix of working class, middle class and affluent areas. Which are you looking for? Montgomery is the most populated because it is the most convenient to the city. Make your choice based on your commute. Don't forget one third of the metro is in New Jersey which also has much to offer. Again depending on your commute I get the feeling you are maybe getting steered in the wrong direction. For instance the only good thing about Exton is that it is convenient to King of Prussia.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
All three counties offer the same thing including a nice mix of working class, middle class and affluent areas. Which are you looking for? Montgomery is the most populated because it is the most convenient to the city. Make your choice based on your commute. Don't forget one third of the metro is in New Jersey which also has much to offer. Again depending on your commute I get the feeling you are maybe getting steered in the wrong direction. For instance the only good thing about Exton is that it is convenient to King of Prussia.
Thanks to this, and all other posts before this, I realize that all three counties that I mentioned (and I suppose much of Delaware county as well), (and Cherry Hill and surroundings that I have visited), (and parts of Philadelphia county itself) are all equally attractive to live in. So the decision is to be made based on factors related to specific issues such as commute, and other specific requirements.

This is very different from what the stock answer for transplants in metro Atlanta where I currently live -- the northern arc from Suwanee to Marietta is about the only area transplants to Atlanta will be recommended, 1 hour+ commutes not withstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia