Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:01 AM

55 posts, read 128,700 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Can anyone tell me what the job (teaching) outlook is like in Philly and the general vicinity? I currently teach in Texas. and am looking to move back to the NE. Philly sounds like a great city, and I'm visiting in July.

I currently teach elementary, but am certified to teach any grade. My dream teaching position is in drama or music, but I know those positions are particularly hard to come by.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
What are you hoping to teach in? College? University? Elementary? Middle school? High school? Private school? Catholic school?

Philadelphia actually has a lot of drama and music schools. Here is one opening relatively soon:

Quote:
A new performing arts charter high school says it has sealed a deal to open in the fall at GlaxoSmithKline's former North American headquarters at 16th and Vine Streets.
Under terms that will be announced Thursday, a nonprofit associated with the Philadelphia Performing Arts Charter School has agreed to buy the curving, eight-story building for $29 million for the String Theory High School for the Arts and Sciences. It will be the first charter high school in the city focused on the performing arts.
http://articles.philly.com/2013-03-2...entary-charter

Old 04-13-2013, 04:38 PM

Thanks so much! I will look into the new charter.

I would teach at any level for Theater. Really I'm open to any grade school level except early elementary. Their energy is just too much for me. Private or parochial schools would be good, although here in Texas they pay significantly less than public school. I'm assuming it's the same in PA.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:29 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
Yes, it's the same in Pa (private vs public) but you know that going in so it's not that much oof a shocker

You'll have to get certified in Pa. But I think Tx has close to the same requirements and it is just a matter of paperwork. Depends how long you have been teaching.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:40 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Just so you know, the city schools, like most cities in the country, tend not to be very good. However, there are some really phenomenal exceptions, like Masterman or Penn Alexander or Meredith or Central. Central and Masterman are two highschools among the best in the country. The suburbs surrounding the city tend to have phenomenal school districts. PA, NJ, DE and MD are all among the top states in the country for education. I'm from Bucks County and now live in the city, so I can speak from experience on Bucks County. I know Council Rock, New-Hope Solesbury and Central Bucks are all very good school districts. Pennsbury is good too but it's future is questionable since the current president of the district basically ran it into the ground (I know, my mom works for this district).

In the city there are a TON of charters geared specifically towards art. Also, if you want to look at colleges, I know Curtis Institute is one of the best music schools in the country. The Art Institute, Philadelphia Academy of Fine Arts, University of the Arts and Temple University's Tyler School of Art are all nationally ranked art schools.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:14 PM

Thank you so much for all the info. It may be hard to find a job there for next year...but I will try my best.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:25 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
This site may help: Become a Teacher in Pennsylvania | Teacher Certification in Pennsylvania | Certification Map I can tell you that I personally know two PA certified music teachers, one with a masters and an additional certification in special ed, who have not been able to find a job anywhere in Southeastern PA except for sub positions. She also taught music (in Texas!) for five years before moving back home. It's a very competitive market. Most new teachers that I know sub for a year or three before getting their own classroom. BUT Philadelphia is not the most sought after district so the odds should be better there.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:37 PM

Growing up, we were told that there will always be jobs for teachers and nurses. Amazing what has happened.

Well if it's meant to happen, it will. If not, I'm grateful to have a teaching job for now...even though it is in Texas

Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
If you are considering teaching in the Philadelphia School District, I would look someplace else.
The teachers contract is up this summer and I think its going to get ugly because the School District is demanding many cuts like 15% of teachers salaries( they are way under paid now!).

Also, there is not much support from principals and other staff. Discipline is most schools is awl-full and you are expected to teach children with learning disabilities even if you are not certified to do so. I am speaking about my wifes school in the Strawberry Mansion section. Some schools are a little better than others and much worse.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley9 View Post
Hi all. Can anyone tell me what the job (teaching) outlook is like in Philly and the general vicinity? I currently teach in Texas. and am looking to move back to the NE. Philly sounds like a great city, and I'm visiting in July.

I currently teach elementary, but am certified to teach any grade. My dream teaching position is in drama or music, but I know those positions are particularly hard to come by.

Many thanks!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

Also, if you want to look at colleges, I know Curtis Institute is one of the best music schools in the country. The Art Institute, Philadelphia Academy of Fine Arts, University of the Arts and Temple University's Tyler School of Art are all nationally ranked art schools.
It should be noted that college music teaching is extremely competitive, and Curtis being one of the top music schools in the world, you have to have some SERIOUS credentials to be a teacher there. Like being a principal musician with the Philadelphia Orchestra. Some famous names in the music world teach there. (I once auditioned there - very unsuccessfully!) I'm sure the OP knows this. I don't know about the other schools mentioned above, but I'd assume they're hard to break into, as well.

To the OP: There's also a performing arts high school in Wilmington, DE, that focuses on musical theatre. A lot of their students go into the arts in college. It's called Cab Calloway, in the Red Clay School District. Something to keep in mind if you move here and the job pickings are slim in Philly. Wilmington is about 30 minutes south of Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia