Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:32 PM

11 posts, read 66,022 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am looking for some thoughts.... I am looking to move out from my current home and buy a house in a new location. I am looking into Fort Washington (love the location, close to KOP), HuntingDon Valley (love it), Elkins Park (is it comparable to HV and FW?) and maybe Blue Bell. Any thought are welcome about this locations and where would be a better idea to buy for resale. I am planning to buy and sell again in about 5 years down the road. My main criteria are: safety, great school district (for resale), and intelligent neighbors. Which area would be the best fit?
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Id rank them like this.
1- Huntingdon Valley
2- Blue Bell
3- Ft Washington

15- Elkins park.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:09 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
I'd put Fort Washington first, but not significantly better than Huntingdon Valley or Blue Bell. Elkins Park isn't that bad, but especially in the Cheltenham part, the taxes are way too high for what you get and the middle school/junior high aren't as good.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:24 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Id rank them like this.
1- Huntingdon Valley
2- Blue Bell
3- Ft Washington

15- Elkins park.
While Elkins Park is currently the least upscale/prestigious of the four, that's just plain ridiculous. Cheltenham schools are decent enough and the housing stock is excellent, although the taxes are certainly on the high side.

Where I'd rank Huntingdon Valley depends on what portion of the zip code you're in. IMO, Lower Moreland > Abington > Upper Moreland/Upper Southampton.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 05-13-2013 at 08:19 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 AM

okay.. maybe 10 then..

Old 05-13-2013, 08:27 AM

according to school digger, it ranks the schools in each location like this..(This is out of 738 cities in pa)

1- Ft washington (#40) <--- VERY good
2-Blue Bell (#54)
3- Hunt valley (#77)
4- cheltenham (#184)

Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
according to school digger, it ranks the schools in each location like this..(This is out of 738 cities in pa)

1- Ft washington (#40) <--- VERY good
2-Blue Bell (#54)
3- Hunt valley (#77)
4- cheltenham (#184)
Again, by Huntingdon Valley, do you mean Lower Moreland, Abington, Upper Moreland, or Upper Southampton/Centennial? Only Lower Moreland really stands out. Abington is about on par with Cheltenham and I'm fairly certain Upper Moreland and Centennial are somewhat below.

It's also worth noting that a portion of Elkins Park is in Abington Township as well.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:47 AM

11 posts, read 66,022 times
Thanks for your input everyone!!!
I am considering buying in those part of HV that are in Lower Moreland SD (just for resale's sake)
Is there anything I should be concerned about with HW, FW or BB? Which one would you say is enhancing and getting better, and which one is losing its residents? Blue Bell seems nice, but it seems to me that there is not much in BB itself, shopping, restaurants, etc Are there any other towns nearby that are comparable to this towns? Ambler? Glenside? Dresher? Housing market is really tight and I am exploring all the options.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iodizedsalt View Post
Thanks for your input everyone!!!
I am considering buying in those part of HV that are in Lower Moreland SD (just for resale's sake)
Is there anything I should be concerned about with HW, FW or BB? Which one would you say is enhancing and getting better, and which one is losing its residents? Blue Bell seems nice, but it seems to me that there is not much in BB itself, shopping, restaurants, etc Are there any other towns nearby that are comparable to this towns? Ambler? Glenside? Dresher? Housing market is really tight and I am exploring all the options.
None of those places are "going downhill," though Elkins Park/Cheltenham has declined somewhat from its peak. Lower Moreland has lost a bit of its luster too, albeit to a lesser extent.

If you're looking to settle in a post-war, auto-centric suburb, Blue Bell will probably appeal to you most since it's the newest of the three (I'm assuming you've cut Elkins Park out at this point). Dresher is similar. Glenside is more of a town, similar to Elkins Park, and is also split between Abington and Cheltenham. Portions of the 19038 zip code are also in Springfield Township (where it's known as Wyndmoor) and Upper Dublin (North Hills). Wyndmoor resembles an extension of Mt. Airy/Chestnut Hill, while North Hills looks a lot like neighboring Oreland.

Ambler is part walkable town (the borough itself) and part newer, auto-centric suburb (the portions of the zip code in Upper Dublin and Lower Gwynedd Townships).

You might also like Northampton Township in Bucks County. Great schools, lots of new construction, built with the automobile in mind... But at that point you're fairly far from the city.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iodizedsalt View Post
Hi All,

I am looking for some thoughts.... I am looking to move out from my current home and buy a house in a new location. I am looking into Fort Washington (love the location, close to KOP), HuntingDon Valley (love it), Elkins Park (is it comparable to HV and FW?) and maybe Blue Bell. Any thought are welcome about this locations and where would be a better idea to buy for resale. I am planning to buy and sell again in about 5 years down the road. My main criteria are: safety, great school district (for resale), and intelligent neighbors. Which area would be the best fit?
Thanks!!!
What's your budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia