Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:34 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,486,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I have to say this is just about the best, most reasonable, and fair judgment of Corbett I've ever read. It seems he is hindered by his personality faults (not being a dealmaker, people-person, etc.), not that he's been "a bad guy".
He is just a bad leader in general. Another example was his complete lack of leadership in the Penn State crisis, despite essentially controlling the board of trustees (as well as being a member) and being the governor of the state. He is too in-bed with the energy lobby and, while his efforts to control government spending are noble, torching funding to public school districts overnight is not the right way to go about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:54 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Please don't tell me your letting Corbett off the hook on this issue? This guy is worst than Gov. Chris Christie when it comes to transportation funding.
I wouldn't say he's letting corbett off the hook, just pointing out (correctly) that the biggest hurdle for transportation funding is not the governor's office regardless of who's in it but the house.

The Pennsylvania House of Representatives is perhaps the most backwards governmental organization in the world. It is designed in a manner to allow the minority right wing and rural population in this state hold all of the power.

Idiots like Metcalf don't seem to understand that while big cities cost a lot to run, they drive the economic engine that powers this state. the under funding of our schools, of our public services, they threaten the economic health of philadelphia.

These people who run around screaming "cut, cut, cut" without thought or reason don't seem to understand that building up septa and other infrastructure in philadelphia is not just money "given" to philly. it's an investment in this state's largest and most powerful money making machine. the better things are in philly, the more tax dollars this city will produce, which will then go out and benefit people in rural areas.

but no they hate buses because black people in scary cities ride them so they'd rather just destroy the entire state.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:01 PM

802 posts, read 1,322,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I wouldn't say he's letting corbett off the hook, just pointing out (correctly) that the biggest hurdle for transportation funding is not the governor's office regardless of who's in it but the house.

The Pennsylvania House of Representatives is perhaps the most backwards governmental organization in the world. It is designed in a manner to allow the minority right wing and rural population in this state hold all of the power.

Idiots like Metcalf don't seem to understand that while big cities cost a lot to run, they drive the economic engine that powers this state. the under funding of our schools, of our public services, they threaten the economic health of philadelphia.

These people who run around screaming "cut, cut, cut" without thought or reason don't seem to understand that building up septa and other infrastructure in philadelphia is not just money "given" to philly. it's an investment in this state's largest and most powerful money making machine. the better things are in philly, the more tax dollars this city will produce, which will then go out and benefit people in rural areas.

but no they hate buses because black people in scary cities ride them so they'd rather just destroy the entire state.
Exactly.

I remember when Rendell was governor he was trying hard to get a dedicated source of funding for mass transit. It never amounted to anything but it wasn't his fault. It was the politicians from rural parts of Pennsylvania.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:03 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I have to say this is just about the best, most reasonable, and fair judgment of Corbett I've ever read. It seems he is hindered by his personality faults (not being a dealmaker, people-person, etc.), not that he's been "a bad guy".
eh while i agreed with pman's assessment of what has gone on in harrisburg before and since corbett took office, he really doesn't deserve all the blame. in fact in a way he's sort of powerless so in that sense it's hard to blame him for anything.

I stop well short of saying he's not "a bad guy" though.

This is a man who is trying to destroy public education, who if he had it his way he'd cut off all services to the poor so that rich people like him can enjoy their kickbacks from gas companies without having to pay any taxes. the dude is a bad guy. he's an awful guy. it's just when standing next to metcalf and other clowns in the house he doesn't seem nearly as bad.

corbett is just moderately evil in a self interested ruthless business man way. he doesn't want to inflict pain on others as much as he just doesn't care what happens to others as he does what he wants to do to benefit himself and others like him. bad people like him are a dime a dozen unfortunately. metcalf on the other hand, he's like cartoon villain evil. Have you read the things he's said? The man is legitimately insane.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:06 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,830,067 times
in fairness to rural legislators, it isn't something THEIR constituents support. the same can't be said for the democrats who voted against it. the state senate is also pretty awful, maybe less so in regards to transportation.

even on the business side corbett correctly pushed for the elimination of the cap stock tax but the legislature kept it so they could fund their pork grants. if we wait two years for another governor we're going to be in trouble, they need to find a working coalition now...in fairness it's wingnuts from the cities and the sticks that are the biggest problem. Jim Ferlo is a *******, just gonna put that out there.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,069 times
I've certainly been guilty of using "Corbett" synonymously with "Harrisburg", which is not fair. I'll try to stop doing that.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:17 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
Exactly.

I remember when Rendell was governor he was trying hard to get a dedicated source of funding for mass transit. It never amounted to anything but it wasn't his fault. It was the politicians from rural parts of Pennsylvania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
in fairness to rural legislators, it isn't something THEIR constituents support. the same can't be said for the democrats who voted against it. the state senate is also pretty awful, maybe less so in regards to transportation.

even on the business side corbett correctly pushed for the elimination of the cap stock tax but the legislature kept it so they could fund their pork grants. if we wait two years for another governor we're going to be in trouble, they need to find a working coalition now...in fairness it's wingnuts from the cities and the sticks that are the biggest problem. Jim Ferlo is a *******, just gonna put that out there.
Trust me I agree that there is plenty of blame to go around in Harrisburg but that still doesn't excuse Corbett for being a weak leader when it comes to transportation. As you can see I clearly don't like this Governor, never have and probably never will unless he makes some radical changes in the way he governs.

When it comes to the big picture, PA residents(at least in SE PA) should make a collective effort to vote these clowns out of office in Harrisburg. Unlike South Jersey, SE PA has a stronger voting presence in the state and is also where most of the growth and economic prosperity is.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 09-13-2013 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 03:19 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I've certainly been guilty of using "Corbett" synonymously with "Harrisburg", which is not fair. I'll try to stop doing that.
He can do a lot more than he is doing now.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:03 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I think regional sales taxes are the best way to fund public transportation, and would support any referendum that supported that method, but how many residents would vote for an increased sales tax, even if they ride SEPTA regularly? Philadelphia County residents already pay the highest sales tax in the state.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:19 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,486,695 times
PA (and Philly in particular) already have high sales taxes . . . the more you increase the tax, the more business leaves the state and city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia