Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 21,519 times

Advertisements

Where are the "safe" areas of Philadelphia, and what are the "dangerous" areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
...lol

All of Center City is safe. Most of South Philly is safe. Only sketch areas are Point Breeze and Grays Ferry. No reason to go to Southwest Philly. The areas by the airport tend to be nice though. University City and the neighborhoods surrounding it I'm West Philadelphia tend to be safe. The neighborhoods the next ring out like Mantua and Dunlap and Haverford tend to be dangerous. The neighborhoods out by City Avenue before it turns into Montco are nice. Most of Lower North Philadelphia is nice or changing quickly from about Girard down. Temple is also getting better. Pretty much everything else in North Philly is dangerous up until you get to the neighborhoods that border he suburbs like the Oak Lanes. In the Riverwards, Fishtown, parts of Kensington, Port Richmond and Bridesburg tend to be safe while West Kensington and Harrowgate are dangerous. Most of Northwest Philly is safe except for East Germantown. Most of Northeast Philly tends to be nice except for the areas bordering North Philly like Frankford and Lawncrest and Oxford Circle.

Hope that helps

Old 06-06-2014, 11:42 AM

150 posts, read 305,620 times
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...e74b887234a62f

This was posted on here a while back, I use it when I'm out and about.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Swarthout View Post
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...e74b887234a62f

This was posted on here a while back, I use it when I'm out and about.
That's old and outdated.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:21 AM

182 posts, read 376,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
...lol

All of Center City is safe. Most of South Philly is safe. Only sketch areas are Point Breeze and Grays Ferry. No reason to go to Southwest Philly. The areas by the airport tend to be nice though. University City and the neighborhoods surrounding it I'm West Philadelphia tend to be safe. The neighborhoods the next ring out like Mantua and Dunlap and Haverford tend to be dangerous. The neighborhoods out by City Avenue before it turns into Montco are nice. Most of Lower North Philadelphia is nice or changing quickly from about Girard down. Temple is also getting better. Pretty much everything else in North Philly is dangerous up until you get to the neighborhoods that border he suburbs like the Oak Lanes. In the Riverwards, Fishtown, parts of Kensington, Port Richmond and Bridesburg tend to be safe while West Kensington and Harrowgate are dangerous. Most of Northwest Philly is safe except for East Germantown. Most of Northeast Philly tends to be nice except for the areas bordering North Philly like Frankford and Lawncrest and Oxford Circle.

Hope that helps
I was always told that West Oak Lane was a part of NW Philly/Germantown. Is it really a part of North Philly?

Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatdoesthefoxsay65 View Post
I was always told that West Oak Lane was a part of NW Philly/Germantown. Is it really a part of North Philly?
Some people consider it different things. It's actually a separate district from both North Philly and Northwest Philly called the Oak Lane District. I usually just consider it North Philly or Upper North Philly but most people living up there call it Uptown.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 19,639 times
Living here my entire life, I wouldn't call any neighborhood safe per se. Some are safer then others and that is all. I mean seriously be realistic. Heroin use is on the rise here and doesn't look like much is being done about it. There isn't a part of the city were you won't see someone dipping. I'm not trying to down play my city, I just don't want someone unfamiliar to think that you are "safe" I'm a particular area. Just watch the news. Yes there are safer areas as some parts of south philly, the far north east, chestnut hill, parts of my airy, university city, center city, roxborough, parts of east falls. If buying property here you want to move to an area closest to center to city because they are gentrifying those areas and pushing all the trash outwards. Trust and believe there are more and more methadon clinics opening every day. The city is declining and the mayor isn't trying to do much about it.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:36 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl220 View Post
Living here my entire life, I wouldn't call any neighborhood safe per se. Some are safer then others and that is all. I mean seriously be realistic. Heroin use is on the rise here and doesn't look like much is being done about it. There isn't a part of the city were you won't see someone dipping. I'm not trying to down play my city, I just don't want someone unfamiliar to think that you are "safe" I'm a particular area. Just watch the news. Yes there are safer areas as some parts of south philly, the far north east, chestnut hill, parts of my airy, university city, center city, roxborough, parts of east falls. If buying property here you want to move to an area closest to center to city because they are gentrifying those areas and pushing all the trash outwards. Trust and believe there are more and more methadon clinics opening every day. The city is declining and the mayor isn't trying to do much about it.
I'd argue the mayor is trying to do more about it than any other since, well, forever. it's an uphill battle when you have to deal with the likes of blackwell and clarke who seem to want the city to stay down. that said, heroine use isn't city specific and crime is way down over the last five years.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
This city is in a better position now then it has been any past year since the 50s. You seem a little confused.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
Quote:
Thats because it's a city, and with a city there is no such thing as "completely safe". If you want completely safe, a cabin in the middle of nowhere will probably do the trick. Watching the news is not a good indicator of what really goes on in the city. If I went by the news, I would think that the entire city is a war zone where nobody was safe, yet thats far from the case. They focus on the worst of the worst because its good for ratings, not because its an accurate picture of the city as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia