Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times

Advertisements

Don't discount 50th and 51st streets. There are a ton of nice families and professionals who have moved in to those corridors in the last few years, north of Florence and south of Spruce. And the older residents are generally very friendly, in my experience. Look at the businesses that are between 49th-51st: Vix Emporium, Dock Street Brewery, Little Baby's Ice Cream, Taco Angeleno, Satellite Coffee. It's only going to get more gentrified (whether you regard that as a dirty word or not) in the next few years, but home prices on 50th and 51st are already rising rapidly, in line with the rest of University City. I would not hesitate to live there. Just thinking of the people I know personally who own homes on 50th and 51st: 2 lawyers, 2 classical music teachers, a "fed", a food truck owner, a Penn professor, 3 nationally-known musicians, a private school teacher, a non-profit administrator

And 46th & Baltimore is lovely, at least starting on the north side. Yeah there are a couple of gas stations right there, but there are a TON of great restaurants right around there on Baltimore, and I think 46th street between Baltimore and Locust is one of the most beautiful stretches of road in Philadelphia.

Safety-wise, of course there are concerns, but not really more so than in other up-and-coming neighborhoods. A friend who lives on 50th said she knows way more people who have been mugged on the "nicer" 45th street. 52nd street, of course, is a commercial corridor that has some nice businesses amongst the blight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 05:40 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,605 times
I've been showing a lot of properties in the 50's lately - the areas just west of University City. For the most part, it's pretty decent. A little rough around the edges, but lots of good people and many of them take good care of their homes. I think the 50's have a good future whether it fully gentrifies or not.

Last edited by mancat100; 07-01-2014 at 06:05 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 05:58 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
If one identifies as a working-class/lower-middle-class African-American, then parts of that area may be considered decent. If you differ from that description but are open-minded about your neighbors and optimistic about housing values (especially in the lower 50's) then your transition may be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia