Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 02:21 AM

15 posts, read 30,853 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating to Philly (possibly permanently), seeing as how it may be a great place for me. I work in tech, so am confident I can find a job there. The housing/apartment prices are really reasonable, and I think I can thrive financially there. Not to mention that I've always wanted to live in a big city. I'm also interested in art, and Philly isn't a long drive to the art capital of the world, NYC (and is incredibly more affordable). Before I relocate though, I have a few hesitations.

One of the big ones is - I'm wondering what the social scene is like for people in their 20s. I recently took a trip to Chicago, and was unimpressed with what I found. For a middle-class, working, young adult, there are bars and venues and things, but it was a lot smaller than expected. In NYC, I know there are a lot of apartment/fashion/artsy parties - where you can basically just walk in and chill with some strangers lol (especially in Brooklyn).

I also have friends in San Francisco, and it seems like when they're not working, they can't stop partying. I'm from Cleveland, and not *that* well-connected here - so I find it hard to find parties at all. If I do, it's usually parties with the same old people, in the same old places - not interesting to me, as I like to meet new people.

SO, does anyone have any insight into what it's like partying in philly? Any/all suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 08:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlight53 View Post
I'm thinking of relocating to Philly (possibly permanently), seeing as how it may be a great place for me. I work in tech, so am confident I can find a job there. The housing/apartment prices are really reasonable, and I think I can thrive financially there. Not to mention that I've always wanted to live in a big city. I'm also interested in art, and Philly isn't a long drive to the art capital of the world, NYC (and is incredibly more affordable). Before I relocate though, I have a few hesitations.

One of the big ones is - I'm wondering what the social scene is like for people in their 20s. I recently took a trip to Chicago, and was unimpressed with what I found. For a middle-class, working, young adult, there are bars and venues and things, but it was a lot smaller than expected. In NYC, I know there are a lot of apartment/fashion/artsy parties - where you can basically just walk in and chill with some strangers lol (especially in Brooklyn).

I also have friends in San Francisco, and it seems like when they're not working, they can't stop partying. I'm from Cleveland, and not *that* well-connected here - so I find it hard to find parties at all. If I do, it's usually parties with the same old people, in the same old places - not interesting to me, as I like to meet new people.

SO, does anyone have any insight into what it's like partying in philly? Any/all suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
San Francisco? What kind of 'partying'? It sounds like they are well-connected with the right friends, which is basically what makes or breaks any place, really.

Just BAR-CLOSING time alone, San Francisco closes at 1am, but due to public transportation closing around a similar time, almost all the bars move their clocks forward so they are closing down around 12:30am. For me, I'm just about getting a decent beer buzz going on, so it sucked living in that city and having that being the end of the bar night. But, if someone knew of some other 'scene', I imagine it would all be a completely different reality for them. Again though, it's the friends you make and know who make the difference for you anywhere.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:58 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
It's not NYC, SF, or Chicago, but Philly is a great city and I think if you find your social niche you'll be very happy.

Also keep in mind that partying might not be so much of a priority for you for all that long, in the bigger life picture...

Old 11-07-2014, 10:09 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
San Francisco? What kind of 'partying'? It sounds like they are well-connected with the right friends, which is basically what makes or breaks any place, really.

Just BAR-CLOSING time alone, San Francisco closes at 1am, but due to public transportation closing around a similar time, almost all the bars move their clocks forward so they are closing down around 12:30am. For me, I'm just about getting a decent beer buzz going on, so it sucked living in that city and having that being the end of the bar night. But, if someone knew of some other 'scene', I imagine it would all be a completely different reality for them. Again though, it's the friends you make and know who make the difference for you anywhere.

I agree, it depends on who you know and what circles you run in in any city. And FWIW Philly is much more of a "party city" compared to San Francisco IMO. SF seemed pretty tame/quiet honestly and as you said the bars close pretty early.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:16 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Yes. There is plenty of nightlife for a 20 something (myself being in my 20s).

Old 11-07-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I agree, it depends on who you know and what circles you run in in any city. And FWIW Philly is much more of a "party city" compared to San Francisco IMO. SF seemed pretty tame/quiet honestly and as you said the bars close pretty early.
How late do the bars stay open in Philly? Any other reasons you think it is less tame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just from facebook, my one friend goes to a bunch of festivals, restaurants, hanging out with people, etc. Idk what he does exactly, but it seems like every time I'm on, I see another photo or status of something he's doing out there.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:40 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlight53 View Post
How late do the bars stay open in Philly? Any other reasons you think it is less tame?
Closing time is usually 2:00am. Some nightclubs get special permits to stay open an hour or two later for special occasions in the summer.

Your impression of Chicago is surprising, considering the multiple desirable neighborhoods from the Northside down to the Loop, mot presumably with their fair share of available nightlife. In comparsion, much of Philly's nightlife is concentrated within the neighborhoods comprising the two square mile area known as Center City (aka downtown). Some neighborhoods adjacent to Center City are desirable to younger professionals as well: e.g. Northern Liberties in the Riverwards/North Philly, the Passyunk Avenue corridor in South Philly, University City in West Philly. Those who have to commute to the suburbs often choose Manayunk ("MANNY-yunk") in NW Philly and congregate on its Main Street.

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-08-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 11-08-2014, 10:10 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Closing time is usually 2:00am. Some nightclubs get special permits to stay open an hour or two later for special occasions in the summer.
There are plenty after hours bars open until 3am and 4am year round, and not just for special events during the summer.

The ones that come immediately to mind include Lit Ultrabar, Pulse, Zee Bar and Voyeur, but I know there are a ton more.

Lit is open until 4am year round and occasional open until 6am for certain events.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Your impression of Chicago is surprising, considering the multiple desirable neighborhoods from the Northside down to the Loop, mot presumably with their fair share of available nightlife. In comparsion, much of Philly's nightlife is concentrated within the neighborhoods comprising the two square mile area known as Center City (aka downtown).
Well I did go during the week, which I'm sure influenced it a bit. When I visited Philly it was on the weekend, and we went out to a few bars and things. I remember it being fun. I've been to NYC a dozen times, so am pretty familiar with what it's like out there.

IYO - would you say that Chicago's nightlife is better? When I was downtown Chicago - a lot of the bars/restaurants there would be out of my price range. Is it the same kind of deal in Philly? I mean, if so, it sounds like there's not much night life there (for me) at all...

I also remember that to get many places in Chicago you have to have a car (including some parts of downtown). Is this the same in Philly? If I'm going out drinking, driving home really isn't something high up on my list of to-dos lol.

One thing that turned me off in Chicago was the "midwestern-ness" of it all - the fashion is bland (in comparison to NYC), and the aesthetics of the city feel, very midwestern. Philly I remember as being a little more aesthetically appealing, but who knows - I could be looking through rose colored glasses.

But actually the major thing keeping me from moving to Chicago is the location - it's smack out in the middle of nowhere, whereas Philly is within driving distance to a number of other great cities. Philly also seems to have better suburbs (more affordable), whereas most of Chicagos suburbs are crowded with million-dollar houses - again, out of my price range. This is important if I decide to set up permanent shop in any of these places.

If anyone has any rebuttals for any of these points, they would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by featherlight53; 11-08-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 11-08-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Lit is open until 4am year round and occasional open until 6am for certain events.
Ok so I have to say, this kind of thing worries me a bit. If you know that *one* bar that's open late in the city, this has me thinking that maybe there is only one bar like this - which means not too many options.

In Cleveland there are a few places like this - where a bunch of the same old annoying hipsters seem to congregate, and dominate the social scene... It would be nice if there was enough variety to avoid this kind of catastrophe :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: