Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:16 PM

677 posts, read 672,875 times

Advertisements

Once the Center City Cheesecake Factory opens I'll never again have to step foot in KOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:17 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
However, the rail expansion likely will not be regional rail, and will require an interchange between the Market Frankford line, and the Norristown Highspeed Line.

Meanwhile, all forms of transit merge on Center City, as well as multiple highways. Center City is also increasingly getting wealthier and has about 17 million overnight tourists a year (swells to 30 million for day trips). While KOP gets tourists, it is nowhere near this number (somewhere around the ballpark of 1-2 million).
All very valid points. My only discrepancy is that, though Center City and surrounding neighborhoods are getting wealthier, the widespread wealth you find in most of the areas suburbs, especially around KoP will likely never be matched ever by Center City, thus resulting in a growing but still limited selection of higher end retail. There simply is not enough money in the city to support it.

However, I am very optimistic and excited to see the continued retail developments in Center City, and you never know what could happen, but I am just being a realist.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:49 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
I can get anything I need in CC, but when talking malls whats so good about KOP? If I wanna do a mall I much prefer Franklin Mills or as it's now called Philadelphia Mills. It is much better, cleaner and less crime then it once was. With the current renovations underway it will be more modern then KOP. Grant it, on the weekends it can be a little seedy, no different then CC, but during the week it is very nice.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:38 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Playing devils advocate, King of Prussia is located near one of the busiest highway interchanges in the country, that along with the proposed Septa rail expansion, the current mall expansion, and overwhelmingly higher income rates, KoP will most likely always remain the shopping destination of the Delaware Valley.

I am all for Phillys improvement, and i enjoy walking down a city street more than through a mall, but realistically speaking, KoP retail is in a different league along with New York and Boston, just in a suburban landscape.
Traffic in KoP isn't pleasant on a good day. There are a few stores up there that I like to go to, and usually hit on a weekday night. Weekend? Nope. And the upcoming Christmas shopping season?? I avoid KoP for most of November and all of December. A traffic nightmare, and forget about parking.

But shopping downtown? A whole different atmosphere, and I can relax on the train ride home. The rail expansion to KoP is a great idea.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I can get anything I need in CC, but when talking malls whats so good about KOP? If I wanna do a mall I much prefer Franklin Mills or as it's now called Philadelphia Mills. It is much better, cleaner and less crime then it once was. With the current renovations underway it will be more modern then KOP. Grant it, on the weekends it can be a little seedy, no different then CC, but during the week it is very nice.
It comes down to personal preference, but Franklin Mills is a glorified Gallery IMO.

I would rather stay in CC to shop, but KoP offers a much better selection of retail, with a better crowd. That is really the only reason I am defending KoP in this debate.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:47 AM

175 posts, read 288,200 times
As a frequent visitor to Philly and a future resident I honestly like both. I agree with many of the above points that CC shopping is a completley different vibe more akin to shopping fifth avenue in NYC although smaller. and getting to eat a Parc on rittenhouse is just the best. KOP is like the Beverly Center here in LA. Theres nothing particularly nice about it but its a convenient one stop shopping experience when you want to get alot of stuff done. I dont think they really need to "compete" as they are very different experiences

Old 11-18-2014, 10:25 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
It comes down to personal preference, but Franklin Mills is a glorified Gallery IMO.

I would rather stay in CC to shop, but KoP offers a much better selection of retail, with a better crowd. That is really the only reason I am defending KoP in this debate.
I do all my clothes shopping in CC. The Mills is really an outlet mall but much better then the Gallery. I wont even step foot in the Gallery. However when the renovations are complete at the Mills it is going to be swanky. But it will be interesting to see how it stays considering the weekend crowd.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:45 PM

PhillyDeals: Expansion planned at King of Prussia Plaza and Court

Old 11-18-2014, 04:08 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Cant wait to see the Village at Valley Forge get developed. That will be a nice change of pace to KOP's big box nature.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
I was very impressed with the Plymouth Meeting mall this past summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia