Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 03:05 PM

50 posts, read 79,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've only seen prostitutes (maybe one or two) in the Gayborhood after midnight.

I have yet to see drunken gay men trying to hit on me (yes, I have a penis).

The Parker - Spruce is closed and has been for months.

For drugs being dealt, drunken frat boys puking in people's flower pots, under-aged 'hood rats' I don't have to leave my neighborhood ... University City. Would you call University City "seedy"??? Heck, you can see some of that in Rittenhouse Square.

When I want to dine in some of the finer restaurants in town ... Barbuzzo, Vianni, Sam Pan, Caribou Café, Mercato, Mixto, El Vez, Pennsylvania 6, etc. I head for the Gayborhood. Would restaurants like that be located in a seedy part of town? There are stylish places for a cocktails too and the Walnut Street Theater and the Forrest Theater.
We're talking about seedy parts of Center City ... And, yeah, although there are fine dining establishments and bars in the Gayborhood, there's still a lot of shady sh*t happening on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 03:19 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whole Milk View Post
The Gayborhood is also the seediest part of Center City.
Unless you were around 30+ years ago, when it really was seedy, you don't know what you're talking about.
On 13th St there's been a sea change over the last decade.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:22 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Unless you were around 30+ years ago, when it really was seedy, you don't know what you're talking about.
I enjoy hanging out in the Gayborhood, and I would say it's less seedy even than 5 years ago.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
It's the only place I see transexual prostitutes, drugs being dealt in the open and small packs of hoodrats hanging around. Not to mention closing hour and the obnoxious, drunk, gay men hitting on anything with a penis. And let's not forget the glory of the Parker-Spruce.
Would you care to share what you think's the seediest area in Center City?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've only seen prostitutes (maybe one or two) in the Gayborhood after midnight.

I have yet to see drunken gay men trying to hit on me (yes, I have a penis).

The Parker - Spruce is closed and has been for months.

For drugs being dealt, drunken frat boys puking in people's flower pots, under-aged 'hood rats' I don't have to leave my neighborhood ... University City. Would you call University City "seedy"??? Heck, you can see some of that in Rittenhouse Square.

When I want to dine in some of the finer restaurants in town ... Barbuzzo, Vianni, Sam Pan, Caribou Café, Mercato, Mixto, El Vez, Pennsylvania 6, etc. I head for the Gayborhood. Would restaurants like that be located in a seedy part of town? There are stylish places for a cocktails too and the Walnut Street Theater and the Forrest Theater.
CP, it's just another ignorant troll who hasn't been on 13th St since 1990. Sigh.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
We're talking about seedy parts of Center City ... And, yeah, although there are fine dining establishments and bars in the Gayborhood, there's still a lot of shady sh*t happening on a daily basis.
I see Moms with baby strollers at Nest and the Green Eggs Cafe. They don't seem have all the concerns you do.

I guess what I find ridiculous about what you're saying is the desire some people have that makes them want to sanitize everything.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but there's still all kinds of nasty stuff happening after dark.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
CP, it's just another ignorant troll who hasn't been on 13th St since 1990. Sigh.
When's the last time you were down there after midnight? I'm actually heading down there right now ... I'll be right at 13th and Sansom.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but there's still all kinds of nasty stuff happening after dark.
I was often around there in the 80s-90s because if you wanted to be around gay people to socialize that was the primary place to be. It was MUCH worse then.

The only places that are still around from those days are Woody's and Danny's Adam and Eve.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:44 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
It's the only place I see transexual prostitutes, drugs being dealt in the open and small packs of hoodrats hanging around. Not to mention closing hour and the obnoxious, drunk, gay men hitting on anything with a penis. And let's not forget the glory of the Parker-Spruce.
Would you care to share what you think's the seediest area in Center City?
First of all, the gayborhood includes Midtown Village which has some of the most popular bars in the city. McGillians, Fergies, Moraitys, Brew and Graffiti Bar to name a few. The area has a strong police presence along with workers from the Tourist and Visitors Bureau walking the streets with direct radio contact with the police. No prostitution or drug dealing is tolerated in that area off of 13th Street. Maybe some of that goes on down by Pine or along 12th. Just because you may see a transgendered individual walking around does not automatically make them a prostitute.

I have a loft apartment at 12th and Locust and have seen some of that, only in the wee hours of the morning. The wife and I were going to take a place at the supposed luxurious "777 South Broad". At night that area is seedy and decided against it. All along Market Street from 6th all the way up to 30th is seedy at night. Hardly anything open once the sun goes down.

Midtown is very vibrant in the warmer weather with all the outside dining that goes on until close to 2 in the morning on the weekends.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
When's the last time you were down there after midnight? I'm actually heading down there right now ... I'll be right at 13th and Sansom.
Couple of weeks ago...
At McGillin's during all of the St Patrick's Day stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia