Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:26 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,404,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Ahh, that pharmacy. I stopped in there once back when I was a Cardinal O'Hara student. I have always considered that, along with the KFC and DQ as Springfield. When it comes to Cardinal O'Hara itself, it was always my knowledge that the left side of the building was in Marple Township and the left side of the building was in Springfied Township. If anyone remembers when the teacher came into O'Hara and we went into lockdown (that was my junior year), mostly Marple Township officers were on the scene.
The whole strip of land with Sproul Lanes on it has seen so many changes in the past 15 years. Sproul Lanes got rid of their pool tables and replaced them with really crappy arcade games, the Dairy Queen was torn down and rebuilt (yet the new one still isn't a walk-in DQ with seating and the hot food menu?), the KFC added Taco Bell, the Amoco became BP, and the Wine & Spirits (where the beauty supply store now is) quietly closed, though the two of them in Broomall were never far away anyway, one of which was expanded after the store near O'Hara closed.

I could be wrong but I suspect the Amoco/BP station was originally an "American" gas station (Amoco at one time was known in Indiana as "Standard" reflecting its roots in the Standard Oil monopoly, but had to use the name "American" everywhere else, before renaming all the stations Amoco anyway around 1970). And the KFC/Taco Bell may have been the site of a Gino's Hamburgers originally. Before KFC had a presence of its own in Greater Philly, there were lots of Gino's/KFC combination restaurants. Gino's went out of business around 1982 and many of the restaurants were torn down for either brand-new KFC buildings or were given some new paint and reopened by Roy Rogers. Then Roy Rogers left Greater Philly and sold some sites to Popeyes, some to Burger King, but sold most to Hardee's. Then, Hardee's left the Philly area and most of their properties were taken by Boston Market, which then had troubles of its own and sold a lot of its leases to McDonald's... sleepy yet?

Sorry for such a long story, but all of it's true!

Anyway, I believe the current KFC/Taco Bell in Clifton Heights was originally just Taco Bell but added KFC later, the opposite of what happened in Springfield/Marple. Gino's was down the street where Burger King now is, and I clearly remember Popeyes being there at one time. Boston Market is across the street in front of Acme and I think Hot Shoppes was there before Boston Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 07:43 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Sears and Boscov's are still open, but I can't imagine they have long-term plans to stay. I am really glad the rest of the mall closed because it (at least in the past decade) attracted a really bad element. It's odd though that Springfield Mall and Granite Run both were built at the same time because they seemed close enough to hurt one another. I really hope that once the new stores at the site open that the bad element doesn't come back. And hopefully the really run down SEPTA stations on the property will be completely replaced.

Bad news though is this: it's never officially been reported in the news (most likely kept secret on purpose) but Walmart has plans for a full-size Walmart Supercenter at the old Franklin Mint plant down the street from Granite Run. I can prove this using a retail real estate site. Traffic will absolutely be a nightmare in the area (and it's already taken me SIX minutes to get from Thomas Chevrolet in Lima to Granite Run!) as if it's not already. At least SEPTA has plans to expand the Media-Elwyn line to Lima.

And I really, really hope the disgusting crowd that frequents the Springfield/Marple Walmart keeps their paws off the new one. None of the other three Walmart stores in Delco are much better in this regard (but in Glenolden, Eddystone, and Boothwyn it makes sense) and contrary to popular belief, it's NOT true that all Walmart stores attract the crowd seen on the People of Walmart blog.

Traffic on 352 will also probably be worsened once major redevelopment hits Brookhaven. Giant and LA Fitness have plans to anchor a new strip center (and it's WAY overdue for the current Brookhaven Giant to be replaced) and Lowe's plans to kick everyone out of the Kmart/Pathmark/beer store plaza to build a new store.
I am a little late to the thread. But my two cents... Boscovs will be staying and undergoing a total renovation sometime over the next few years. Sears is "staying" but the status is still up in the air. The AMC will be torn down and replaced with apartments. Kohls, Acme and Sears Auto are also staying.

There are two possible scenarios for the site development.

Scenario 1: A walkable town center with Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Home Goods, etc. Similar to the Concordville Town Center.

Scenario 2: A walkable town center featuring Banana Republic, J Crew, Williams Sonoma, etc similar to Brinton Lake/Glen Eagle Square in Glen Mills.

Either way I do know that Starbucks, Chipotle and Bone Fish Grille have already signed on to the development.

This info comes from reps at Boscovs so I think it is accurate.

I prefer Scenario 2, I would love to see Granite Run resemble something like the Promenade at Sagemore in NJ, or a more walkable Brinton Lake, but we shall see.

Regarding Walmart I do not like the idea of a Walmart coming to Middletown. Is this a done deal or a proposal? I would imagine the residents of Middletown, especially those bordering the site would be up in arms severely opposing this project.

I think a Whole Food and a few restaurants and maybe a new Wawa would be perfect for that site. Nothing too overwhelming.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:11 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
I remember my family moved from Springfield to Media in 1993 and the Granite Run Mall and just been redone. It was so chic and nice back then .

I haven't been back to PA in about 15 years, but it's sad to hear about the Granite run mall closing. I used to work at the ACME there as a cashier in high school. I would also go to the movies at the AMC Granite Run with friends and then eat at Friendly's across the street from Toys R Us. ...

I have many memories at that mall./

Old 07-07-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Regarding Walmart I do not like the idea of a Walmart coming to Middletown. Is this a done deal or a proposal? I would imagine the residents of Middletown, especially those bordering the site would be up in arms severely opposing this project.
Walmart is listed as "proposed retail anchor" on page 3 of 3 in this document: http://www.wolfsongroupinc.com/asset...mons-Email.pdf

Anyway, Glen Eagle Square is not a "walkable town center", just a strip center with a lot of upscale clothing stores.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:06 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
Quote:
... I am really glad the rest of the mall closed because it (at least in the past decade) attracted a really bad element....

Not picking on you, but i'm curious. I see comments like this a lot, although usually directed at a new walmart opening. What do you think happens to the "bad element" now that their usual haunt is closed?

Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Quote:
The whole strip of land with Sproul Lanes on it has seen so many changes in the past 15 years. Sproul Lanes got rid of their pool tables and replaced them with really crappy arcade games, the Dairy Queen was torn down and rebuilt (yet the new one still isn't a walk-in DQ with seating and the hot food menu?), the KFC added Taco Bell, the Amoco became BP, and the Wine & Spirits (where the beauty supply store now is) quietly closed, though the two of them in Broomall were never far away anyway, one of which was expanded after the store near O'Hara closed.

I could be wrong but I suspect the Amoco/BP station was originally an "American" gas station (Amoco at one time was known in Indiana as "Standard" reflecting its roots in the Standard Oil monopoly, but had to use the name "American" everywhere else, before renaming all the stations Amoco anyway around 1970). And the KFC/Taco Bell may have been the site of a Gino's Hamburgers originally. Before KFC had a presence of its own in Greater Philly, there were lots of Gino's/KFC combination restaurants. Gino's went out of business around 1982 and many of the restaurants were torn down for either brand-new KFC buildings or were given some new paint and reopened by Roy Rogers. Then Roy Rogers left Greater Philly and sold some sites to Popeyes, some to Burger King, but sold most to Hardee's. Then, Hardee's left the Philly area and most of their properties were taken by Boston Market, which then had troubles of its own and sold a lot of its leases to McDonald's... sleepy yet?

Sorry for such a long story, but all of it's true!

Anyway, I believe the current KFC/Taco Bell in Clifton Heights was originally just Taco Bell but added KFC later, the opposite of what happened in Springfield/Marple. Gino's was down the street where Burger King now is, and I clearly remember Popeyes being there at one time. Boston Market is across the street in front of Acme and I think Hot Shoppes was there before Boston Market.
Don't apologize! This is interesting info! It gives me insight on what the area looked like WAY before my time (I was born in 1995).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I am a little late to the thread. But my two cents... Boscovs will be staying and undergoing a total renovation sometime over the next few years. Sears is "staying" but the status is still up in the air. The AMC will be torn down and replaced with apartments. Kohls, Acme and Sears Auto are also staying.

There are two possible scenarios for the site development.

Scenario 1: A walkable town center with Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Home Goods, etc. Similar to the Concordville Town Center.

Scenario 2: A walkable town center featuring Banana Republic, J Crew, Williams Sonoma, etc similar to Brinton Lake/Glen Eagle Square in Glen Mills.

Either way I do know that Starbucks, Chipotle and Bone Fish Grille have already signed on to the development.

This info comes from reps at Boscovs so I think it is accurate.

I prefer Scenario 2, I would love to see Granite Run resemble something like the Promenade at Sagemore in NJ, or a more walkable Brinton Lake, but we shall see.

I think a Whole Food and a few restaurants and maybe a new Wawa would be perfect for that site. Nothing too overwhelming.
Please, please, PLEASE let there be a new Wawa over there! I had an interview at the Chick-fil-A in Lima a few months back. When I arrived early, I had expected to go to the Wawa on Route 1/PA 452. I was HORRIFIED to see that it was no longer there!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:37 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Walmart is listed as "proposed retail anchor" on page 3 of 3 in this document: http://www.wolfsongroupinc.com/asset...mons-Email.pdf

Anyway, Glen Eagle Square is not a "walkable town center", just a strip center with a lot of upscale clothing stores.
I would be surprised if this were to happen. The developer site proposal does not mean that is reality. I do not want a Walmart there, and I am positive that a majority of Middletown residents do not want one either.

I vote to tear down the Franklin Mint building and just let nature take over, we need more forest coverage.

And you know what I meant about being walkable...

Old 07-07-2015, 03:05 PM

122 posts, read 176,640 times
Does anyone know what PREIT's plans are for Moorestown Mall? It seems that it is building a new food court there.

However, the rest of the mall flooring is very dated. Do they plan on putting new flooring?

In general, the mall has always been viewed as too close to Cherry Hill Mall to attract many top tenants.

I don't know how a new foodcourt will help increase tenant mix there.

In my opinion, it should try to get Starbucks, Rack Room Shoes and maybe a dozen more chains and put new flooring. A nice food court alone won't really do much if renovations stop at that.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Don't apologize! This is interesting info! It gives me insight on what the area looked like WAY before my time (I was born in 1995).

Please, please, PLEASE let there be a new Wawa over there! I had an interview at the Chick-fil-A in Lima a few months back. When I arrived early, I had expected to go to the Wawa on Route 1/PA 452. I was HORRIFIED to see that it was no longer there!
Glad you enjoy my info. I seem to remember reading Wawa wants a new store at the Franklin Mint site (after all, their headquarters and dairy plant are so close by). Yes, I was surprised too when that Wawa closed but was not replaced. No other Wawa is very close to there. Personally though I was sadder when the tiny Lima Pharmacy there was sold to Eckerd in the late 90's... then Eckerd closed the store anyway in 2000, and Wawa used the spot for storage for many years. It would have ended up Rite Aid around 2007 if Eckerd had never closed at that spot. With a store that tiny though, they would have had a lot of trouble competing with the CVS across the street. Granite Run had a tiny non-pharmacy CVS (pretty much just a convenience store) for a long time too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia