Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 11:26 PM

4 posts, read 5,406 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I was hoping you could help my friend and I out with some information about Philadelphia. We are both looking to relocate and have settled our search on either Philadelphia or Boston. We have both been to Philadelphia a few times and have really loved it, but we do not know much about the area or the different neighborhoods.

First, a little bit about us: We are both 23-year old, white, females. My friend is a nurse and will be looking for a position at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, CHOP, or the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. I am an English teacher and will be looking for a teaching position in Philly or the surrounding area

We are both young and looking to be around other young people. We really enjoy going out to bars/ clubs, trying new restaurants and coffee places, going to parks/ walking paths.

She is from New York, and I am from New Hampshire, but we both come from towns with very little crime. Are there neighborhoods that we should avoid? Is there any portion of the city that is considered “rough”?

Which school districts should I look into? Are there any school districts that I should avoid? I am willing to commute up to 45 minutes.

We will both have cars. Is there anything we should know about parking, permits, etc.?

I also have a dog, and it is important to me that we live in a dog-friendly area. Are there specific neighborhoods that are considered more dog-friendly? I would love to live near a dog park or walking trail.

Can you recommend some neighborhoods for us to look into? We would be looking for a 2 bedroom apartment. Our maximum budget is $1,800.

Any other information you can give us would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 784 times
Hmmm I think Manayunk might be right for you. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Old 07-22-2015, 04:53 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannakimball134 View Post
Hello everyone!

I was hoping you could help my friend and I out with some information about Philadelphia. We are both looking to relocate and have settled our search on either Philadelphia or Boston. We have both been to Philadelphia a few times and have really loved it, but we do not know much about the area or the different neighborhoods.

First, a little bit about us: We are both 23-year old, white, females. My friend is a nurse and will be looking for a position at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, CHOP, or the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. I am an English teacher and will be looking for a teaching position in Philly or the surrounding area

We are both young and looking to be around other young people. We really enjoy going out to bars/ clubs, trying new restaurants and coffee places, going to parks/ walking paths.

She is from New York, and I am from New Hampshire, but we both come from towns with very little crime. Are there neighborhoods that we should avoid? Is there any portion of the city that is considered “rough”?

Which school districts should I look into? Are there any school districts that I should avoid? I am willing to commute up to 45 minutes.

We will both have cars. Is there anything we should know about parking, permits, etc.?
L
I also have a dog, and it is important to me that we live in a dog-friendly area. Are there specific neighborhoods that are considered more dog-friendly? I would love to live near a dog park or walking trail.

Can you recommend some neighborhoods for us to look into? We would be looking for a 2 bedroom apartment. Our maximum budget is $1,800.

Any other information you can give us would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance for your help!
University City(which is divided ito various neighborhoods like Spruce Hill)is located just west of Penn/Drexel might work for you. There are lots of young people, including families. It's also pretty much "connected" to Center City which, I assume you know, is where Jeff is located.

Seems dog friendly. Some sections need parking permits and others don't.

Your budget should work.

Additionally the Penn Medicine/Health System is more that HUP. It includes two other hospitals: Penn Presbyterian and Pennsylvania Hospital(the oldest hospital in the country).

Old 07-22-2015, 05:39 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannakimball134 View Post
Hello everyone!

I would highly suggest nailing down those jobs before you make the move. It's much more likely for your friend to land a nursing job than for you to get a teaching job. Do you have your Pennsylvania teaching certifications? Unlike many states PA has a surplus of certified teachers and the jobs in the good school districts surrounding the city are highly competitive. You do have a better chance of getting a job in Philadelphia but there's a reason why most people don't want to work there. Philadelphia Schools: Another Year, Another Budget Crisis : NPR Ed : NPR

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:29 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Fishtown and University City would work well.

If you can and are willing to commute, get a teaching job in the suburbs. There are plenty of good suburbs/school districts within commuting distance to Philly.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterthepirate View Post
Hmmm I think Manayunk might be right for you. Anyone else have any thoughts?
I don't agree with this.

If you're coming without a job lined up, best bet is to stay in a more central area. Previous suggestion of University City would work, as would West Philly. And with a budget of $1800 you can even look more into Rittenhouse area, Old City, etc. But I would definitely try to get jobs before moving here for sure and then you can narrow down your neighborhoods.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Spring Garden, Art Museum area,Fitler Square sounds like a great fit as far as living accomodations.Actually any of the Center City neighborhoods sound like a fit.

School districts to avoid? Philadelphia,Chester Upland,Southeast Delco,Upper Darby.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I don't agree with this.

If you're coming without a job lined up, best bet is to stay in a more central area. Previous suggestion of University City would work, as would West Philly. And with a budget of $1800 you can even look more into Rittenhouse area, Old City, etc. But I would definitely try to get jobs before moving here for sure and then you can narrow down your neighborhoods.
2 bedroom max budget $1800, Rittenhouse Square is almost entirely out of the question.

Old City is really a stretch too.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:40 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
2 bedroom max budget $1800, Rittenhouse Square is almost entirely out of the question.

Old City is really a stretch too.
Not true - there are quite a few 2 bedrooms for $1800 and below in Rittenhouse. Just pulled it up on Hotpads. Old City is more of a stretch, but there are a few.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Not true - there are quite a few 2 bedrooms for $1800 and below in Rittenhouse. Just pulled it up on Hotpads. Old City is more of a stretch, but there are a few.
I came across a handful within that 5-7 block vicinity and most (to me) aren't that desirable and right at the max before utilities. So that leaves you with what 2 or 3 okay options to choose from. Rittenhouse is great, but realistically speaking you need to spend $1500+ for an average 1 bed and $2200+ for a decent 2 bedroom if you want options.

They are better off in U City, maybe Queen Village, Bella Vista, Fishtown, Spring Garden etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia