Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,894 times

Advertisements

We've spent the last 30 years, being the young couple, the young couple with baby, the couple with multiple kids, years of travel soccer, science fairs, SAT and finally college acceptance letters, college bills. Well as of this summer the last one completed college!

We need to work at least one more World Cup cycle so have decided to give Philly a chance.

When are you moving? – next two months
Where are you coming from? – Arlington, VA
Why are you moving? – work
Where will you be working? – center city.
Have you been here yet? – Spent the last year living in a Center City hotel 3/4 days a week

Will you buy or rent?- Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? either, but no broom closets
How much can you spend? prefer a townhouse and it's not about the price but the location.
Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? Must be in Philadelphia
Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, kids out of college
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/a!
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? no
Are you keeping a car? Yes, two
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? busy, we will bike ride, play golf on weekends

What do you want to be closest to?

Work- I’d prefer as short as commute as possible

Shopping- Not important

Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)- Starbucks and a good deli/dinner all with in walking distance
Nightlife – yes

Train or subway stations – I use them when practical/necessary

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diverse
Coke or Pepsi? grew up in a Pepsi house but now we are all about great wine and tea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 01:22 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcw View Post
We've spent the last 30 years, being the young couple, the young couple with baby, the couple with multiple kids, years of travel soccer, science fairs, SAT and finally college acceptance letters, college bills. Well as of this summer the last one completed college!

We need to work at least one more World Cup cycle so have decided to give Philly a chance.

When are you moving? – next two months
Where are you coming from? – Arlington, VA
Why are you moving? – work
Where will you be working? – center city.
Have you been here yet? – Spent the last year living in a Center City hotel 3/4 days a week

Will you buy or rent?- Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? either, but no broom closets
How much can you spend? prefer a townhouse and it's not about the price but the location.
Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? Must be in Philadelphia
Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, kids out of college
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/a!
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? no
Are you keeping a car? Yes, two
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? busy, we will bike ride, play golf on weekends

What do you want to be closest to?

Work- I’d prefer as short as commute as possible

Shopping- Not important

Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)- Starbucks and a good deli/dinner all with in walking distance
Nightlife – yes

Train or subway stations – I use them when practical/necessary

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diverse
Coke or Pepsi? grew up in a Pepsi house but now we are all about great wine and tea
I don't technically fit the "empty nester" profile because I never married or had children. But I'm a Boomer which, I'm guessing, is what you are. I moved to Center City 20 years ago, from the local 'burbs, when it was slightly less desirable than it is now. One of the best decision I've ever made in my life.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:36 AM

236 posts, read 251,189 times
If you've been living in philly for much of the past year, I assume you have a pretty good feel for the various neighborhoods and where you might like to rent. In what part of center city is your job? If in the historic district, I'd tell you to look for a rental in society hill. Not sure if the condo buildings on Washington square allow rentals, but they have easy access to parking. I will say, having two cars in center city will cost you dearly. I'd reconsider that.

If your job is over towards Penn, I'd tell you to look in Rittenhouse square. There are many rental options there, and you will get a good feel for the city by using that as a home base for a while.

I've lived in Rittenhouse square and society hill. Apartment buildings, an old trinity house (which I don't recommend) and a condo. Rittenhouse is noisier but there is also more to do. Society hill has more of an old neighborhood feel, and I loved living there. Enough to do, quieter. Sorry I moved away from there. There are other neighborhoods of course, like old city, but I don't know much about living in them.

Not sure if this is helpful or not. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:40 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,166 times
I'd echo the 2 car statement - that's gonna be expensive. My wife and I just relocated to Old City and absolutely love it. Seems like that would check all your boxes and it's close to Society Hill, Center City, Rittenhouse etc. We have 1 car that we pay to park. It's not too expensive but multiply that by 2 and it would get prohibitive.

We're in our late 40s and have a kid in school in NY.

Good choice on Philly. It's one of the coolest places we've ever lived (and we've lived in NYC, Burlington, DC, Santa Fe and Boulder - all pretty great towns).

Old 09-10-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I'd echo the 2 car statement - that's gonna be expensive. My wife and I just relocated to Old City and absolutely love it. Seems like that would check all your boxes and it's close to Society Hill, Center City, Rittenhouse etc. We have 1 car that we pay to park. It's not too expensive but multiply that by 2 and it would get prohibitive.

We're in our late 40s and have a kid in school in NY.

Good choice on Philly. It's one of the coolest places we've ever lived (and we've lived in NYC, Burlington, DC, Santa Fe and Boulder - all pretty great towns).
I was only using my car to make occasional trips to the 'burbs. I don't need to do those as often and when I do I can use Septa so I ditched my car. No more garage fees, insurance, registration, maintenance, gas. I'll end up saving quite a lot.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,894 times
Thanks for all the feedback on cars. It might be easier to have one and do a zip car. The primary car use will be to go play golf or travel to the beach.

Are there any other neighborhoods or close in suburbs we should consider?

Old 09-15-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcw View Post
Thanks for all the feedback on cars. It might be easier to have one and do a zip car. The primary car use will be to go play golf or travel to the beach.

Are there any other neighborhoods or close in suburbs we should consider?
All of the neighborhoods suggested so far are in Center City.

You might also look in Fairmount, Spring Garden, Francisville(lots of gentrification). These are just north of Center City.

In S. Phila: Queen Village, Bella Vista or East Pasyunk.

In W. Phila/University City: Spruce Hill, Clark Park, Cedar Park.

Suburbs: Media(lots of Media love on this board), Narberth, Wayne.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:03 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
All of the neighborhoods suggested so far are in Center City.
That's probably because he said that he will be working in CC and wants as short a commute as possible.

Wayne is great but a significantly longer commute than CC neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia