Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 12:03 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocating to Philly from DC for work and was wondering what area of the city are the nicest? I guess comparable places to DC would include Georgetown, Dupont Circle, or Capitol Hill. Also, generally speaking how is Philly as far as things to do, restaurants, etc.? I like DC but I'm open to a move and have never spent any considerable time in Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 12:16 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
Fitler Square
Rittenhouse Square
Callowhill
Riverfront
Logan Square
Old City
Wash West
Society Hill
NoLibs
Spring Garden

Old 12-17-2015, 02:58 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times
I'm new in Philly but there is no way some these places you have mentioned are comparable to Georgetown or Dupont Circle. HELL NO!

May be they are nice neighborhoods but that is also debatable.

I would say parts of lower Marion and Radnor come close to what the OP is looking for but again Philly IS NOT Washington DC. It's not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Fitler Square
Rittenhouse Square
Callowhill
Riverfront
Logan Square
Old City
Wash West
Society Hill
NoLibs
Spring Garden

Old 12-17-2015, 03:46 PM

744 posts, read 775,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I'm new in Philly but there is no way some these places you have mentioned are comparable to Georgetown or Dupont Circle. HELL NO!

I would say parts of lower Marion and Radnor come close to what the OP is looking for but again Philly IS NOT Washington DC. It's not even close.

Neighborhoods like Georgetown/Dupont Circle are popular because of their central location and abundance of shops/restaurants/bars/walkability etc. You really think Radnor fits this description better than Rittenhouse square, Old City, or Society Hill? You may not like urban neighborhoods but it is clear that is what the OP is looking for. Your suggestion is just bizarre.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:51 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Neighborhoods like Georgetown/Dupont Circle are popular because of their central location and abundance of shops/restaurants/bars/walkability etc. You really think Radnor fits this description better than Rittenhouse square, Old City, or Society Hill? You may not like urban neighborhoods but it is clear that is what the OP is looking for. Your suggestion is just bizarre.
That is the same poster that said you can only live on the east coast if you make over $100k in salary, anything lower and you should only live in the midwest Take what that person says with a HUGE grain of salt. Probably the whole salt shaker too.

To the OP, if you answer the questions in this thread, we may be able to better narrow down some neighborhoods for you - Questions For Future and Potential Residents and general information.

As for things to do, there's ALWAYS stuff to do! Impossible to be bored in this city

Old 12-17-2015, 07:04 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post

No its not. Its better. IMO

Old 12-17-2015, 07:12 PM

I've provided my input. If guys have got nothing useful to contribute, please take your feelings elsewhere. I'm not going to get into a shouting match with anyone. At the end of the day, the OP can choose whatever they want to from the different responses.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:32 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
The list that was first posted is a list of popular neighborhoods in and around central Philadelphia with easy walking access to lots of restaurants, cultural amenities, transit, and things to do. If that's what you're looking for, that list is a good start. Society Hill & Rittenhouse probably top the list as far as prestige goes.

Radnor and Lower Merion are pleasant suburban towns (and townships) where many rich people live, which are not central or in close proximity to city amenities and activities. Not sure why one would think that this would be comparable to lively urban neighborhoods like Georgetown or Dupont Circle...but if that is closer to what you are looking for, then there you go.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:29 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Correct. I would like to be in the city. I know its hard to compare city to city neighborhoods but I do like to be within walking distance to restaurants, bars, grocery stores, gyms, etc. in a nice safe neighborhood.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:47 AM

i'm not sure where capitol hill is and IMO there's nothing in City Center like Dupont Circle or Georgetown.

If you want to be within walking distance of amenities and in a nice neighborhood, that is something else. DC and Philly city neighborhoods are vastly different. I find the roads in DC to be wider, they are more of boulevards. In fact, DC was planned by by a French architect who was commissioned by George Washington and has a striking resemblance to Paris.

So when someone comes here to say that some CC neighborhoods are similar to Georgetown, it makes me wonder what they are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Correct. I would like to be in the city. I know its hard to compare city to city neighborhoods but I do like to be within walking distance to restaurants, bars, grocery stores, gyms, etc. in a nice safe neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia