Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 6,463 times

Advertisements

Hi there - first post!

We're seeking to move closer to my parents who live on Long Island. Trying to keep drive to 2.5/3 hours. Philadelphia's an area we're considering though neither me nor the hubs have lived there before nor do we have friends in the area. Eek! We're still pursuing though because it's closer than DC and appears more affordable than what we're confronting now. We've been perusing this forum though having some difficulty identifying neighborhoods that are the following:

Max 30 min commute door to door to CC (wee bit of flexibility here but here's the goal)
Affordable homes ($350-450k)
Walkable to at least some stuff (coffee, restaurant, park)
Solid schools
W/in 3 hour drive of Long Island
Artsy/progressive

Ardmore, Narbeth have been mentioned - and we'll definitely check out - but the schools seem very, very white and very low FARMS. We're white and middle class, but we're hoping for some more diversity, race and socio-economic, than what these areas seem to reflect. I grew up blue collar but my parents hustled like crazy to send us to private schools. They were doing what they thought was best but I was always keenly aware of the difference between me and the rich kids. while my kiddos will not be coming from the same place, economically, I'm still hoping to find solid public schools (say 5 -7 on Great Schools?) with more economic and racial diversity than what my searches turn up.

Can folks please recommend some neighborhoods that may fit all or some of the above?

Thank you!

Btw - kids are 5 and 18 months old.

Best,
Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 12:36 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Maybe Media or Upper Darby?

Also look in the NJ suburbs.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:11 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
not upper darby. the schools rate 2 and 3 and there's more crime than i'd feel comfortable with. check neighborhoodscout for stats.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:32 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,038 times
Abington, Jenkintown, Glenside, Ambler maybe. All north/northwest of the city. Not hugely diverse but not as white as the Main Line. Perhaps check out Plymouth Whitemarsh and Upper Dublin School Districts as well. Maybe North Penn, too.

I just googled FARMS and saw different acronyms - what does that stand for?

Old 03-12-2016, 01:51 PM

9,326 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Free and Reduced Meal Students, maybe?

Ambler Borough immediately comes to mind as your best bet. Door-to-door commute will be closer to 45-50 minutes, but since you want a relatively racially and socioeconomically diverse area in combination with your other desires, there's nowhere closer that really fits the bil. Collingswood, NJ is a possibility, but the schools aren't the greatest.

If you can find a home in Abington Township that is adjacent to Jenkintown, that can work, too. Jenkintown Borough is less diverse than Lower Merion and is a self-contained school district. Glenside/Keswick Village in Cheltenham and Abington may work too.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 03-12-2016 at 02:07 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 07:02 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrne6 View Post
Hi there - first post!

We're seeking to move closer to my parents who live on Long Island. Trying to keep drive to 2.5/3 hours. Philadelphia's an area we're considering though neither me nor the hubs have lived there before nor do we have friends in the area. Eek! We're still pursuing though because it's closer than DC and appears more affordable than what we're confronting now. We've been perusing this forum though having some difficulty identifying neighborhoods that are the following:

Max 30 min commute door to door to CC (wee bit of flexibility here but here's the goal)
Affordable homes ($350-450k)
Walkable to at least some stuff (coffee, restaurant, park)
Solid schools
W/in 3 hour drive of Long Island
Artsy/progressive

Ardmore, Narbeth have been mentioned - and we'll definitely check out - but the schools seem very, very white and very low FARMS. We're white and middle class, but we're hoping for some more diversity, race and socio-economic, than what these areas seem to reflect. I grew up blue collar but my parents hustled like crazy to send us to private schools. They were doing what they thought was best but I was always keenly aware of the difference between me and the rich kids. while my kiddos will not be coming from the same place, economically, I'm still hoping to find solid public schools (say 5 -7 on Great Schools?) with more economic and racial diversity than what my searches turn up.

Can folks please recommend some neighborhoods that may fit all or some of the above?

Thank you!

Btw - kids are 5 and 18 months old.

Best,
Sarah
Ardmore is larger and more diverse, economically and demographically, than Narberth. I.e. there have been African-Americans living in Ardmore for at least a century. I'm AA and I grew up in the next town, Haverford, just west of Ardmore. My mother also grew in Haverford.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:04 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Maybe Media or Upper Darby?

Also look in the NJ suburbs.
The public schools are not that great in Upper Darby but are much better in Media.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
not upper darby. the schools rate 2 and 3 and there's more crime than i'd feel comfortable with. check neighborhoodscout for stats.
We have friends in Drexel Hill who are very happy. Many of the schools rank much higher than 2-3. Many are 5-6 and there are even some 9-10s.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:27 AM

Also, Ambler is great, although when I lived there, it was almost an hour commute door to door when I worked in CC. I lived very close to the train (the Ft. Washington stop, although we were in Ambler), and the building I worked in was connected to Suburban Station. Driving also took an hour, since there isn't a great way to get downtown. So, Ambler is beyond that 30 minute parameter set by OP. However, the train ride was very easy, since there are express trains, with Ft. Washington being the first stop after Temple. But if she really wants fast access to CC, Ambler isn't quite there. Although it's better than many other areas.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,346 times
We moved from the Arlington, VA and Washington, DC area and looked at similar areas and schools. It is generally more affordable in the Philadelphia area. Lower Merion and Haverford schools are well regarded, and there are more walkable areas near the train stops (Narberth, Ardmore, Haverford, etc.) We also liked Center City, and some schools may meet your needs. We find that the Philadelphia area is more family oriented (i.e., people with existing family in the area), and there is development, but not at the level of the DC area where new construction is everywhere. Good luck and feel free to message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia