Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2021, 02:09 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
They are planning a several full format stores in the city too. Notably Broad & Washington and Broad & Spring Garden.
That's pretty big news. I always liked to imagined something big time at both corners, particularly at broad and washington. I still think it would be an excellent location for the sixers new arena.

I am looking at the plans for broad and washington now, and it really is a beast of a building. I assume the grocery store will be at the southwest corner.

Quote:
An Heirloom is planned in Abbotts Square too.
I was at 2nd and South the other day and there was still no movement. The signs for that one have been up for years now. Bridget Foy's across the street is back open after burning down from a fire. The new second street plaza next to Abbotts Square is almost done and looks good. A big improvement over the former parking lot in my opinion.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 05-08-2021 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 09:30 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually, that's a good point, and having bought stuff in Strawbridge's Food Hall (which carried specialty foods and prepared foods to go) when I lived in Wash West, that suggests that Giant could make a go of it with an Heirloom store there.

The old retail spaces on either side of the first-floor elevator lobby in the 1928 building have been vacant since Strawbridge's closed. C21 had the street floor of the older, smaller building to its west and the entire second floor of both buildings. I believe you could fit an Heirloom Market in either half of the first floor. It will probably go in the south half, as it faces Market Street and has an entrance that connects to the subway concourse below (yes, commuters would stop there too).

It could conceivably even take the entire first floor, as the sliding glass doors that open to allow shoppers to pass through the 8th Street elevator lobby vestibule remain in place and the security gates for the elevators are behind this passageway.

And to allude to a similar discussion on the retail thread, if C21 reconstitutes itself, it could easily reopen in its old space. I'm sure PREIT/Macerich would welcome them back with open arms.
The Food Hall did a surprising amount of business, between customers, commuters, and center city residents. I wonder if the boar is still there.

Old 05-13-2021, 04:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
One of the Charlotte stations sent a reporter to the Chapel Hill Wegmans. They aired the report tonight.(The reporter is a Philadelphia native.) It can be found online by googling WSOC Wegmans Joe Bruno. I don't expect more than the current 5 stores in and near Raleigh to open in North Carolina until the new distribution center is built in Virginia. The new distribution center will create more room in the Pennsylvania distribution center.

Old 10-05-2022, 02:03 PM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Now that I know that there is at least one more grocery-shopping geek on this forum, it's time to revive this thread.

I'll start with a guide I wrote last year for Phillymag that I think may actually be especially timely right now, with inflation eating into our food budgets:

Steep Discounts and Really Good Cheese: Your Guide to Cheap Grocery Shopping Around Philadelphia | Philadelphia Magazine

Feel free to chime in with your experiences or impressions of shopping at these or any other area supermarkets.

And while you're at it, maybe look back through this thread and comment on anything you think might have changed about the local grocery shopping scene in the past year.

Old 10-05-2022, 02:21 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,452,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Now that I know that there is at least one more grocery-shopping geek on this forum, it's time to revive this thread.

I'll start with a guide I wrote last year for Phillymag that I think may actually be especially timely right now, with inflation eating into our food budgets:

Steep Discounts and Really Good Cheese: Your Guide to Cheap Grocery Shopping Around Philadelphia | Philadelphia Magazine

Feel free to chime in with your experiences or impressions of shopping at these or any other area supermarkets.

And while you're at it, maybe look back through this thread and comment on anything you think might have changed about the local grocery shopping scene in the past year.
I liked your article, Sandy! Aldi and the Grocery Outlet are definitely the best deals in the city. I wish Lidl and TJ's could carry their discounted wine in Philadelphia. I'd go out of my way more often if so. Though I will say, I still find grocery shopping to be a chore unless I make it there for off-peak hours when I can relax more. All of the people and cart maneuvering irritates me.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:48 PM

1,170 posts, read 592,234 times
I guess I need to check out Grocery Outlet.

Meanwhile I have changed my tune on The Fresh Market. It isn't really overpriced, they just have some premium goods. But their prepared foods for instance cost as much as any other place. Though I do question why they frequently have escargot in "grab and go" section. Is that a thing rich people do? Swing buy for some quick snails?

Old 10-08-2022, 06:20 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Grocery Outlet is horrible, IMO.
Just low-end, low rent, again, IMO

If you think Save-A-Lot is bad, wait until you go to Grocery Outlet.
IF a person just has to shop based on price -- at least stick with Lidl or Aldi, or a Walmart Supercenter.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:06 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,452,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

IF a person just has to shop based on price -- at least stick with Lidl or Aldi, or a Walmart Supercenter.
Grocery Outlet carries actual quality "name brand" stuff. Save-a-Lot pretty much carries, on average, much lower quality stuff. Grocery Outlet is just random assortments of overstocked items from other markets and changes often. Save-a-Lot is a pretty standard experience each time. Check out at Save-a-Lot is a whole other level of bad.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I guess I need to check out Grocery Outlet.

Meanwhile I have changed my tune on The Fresh Market. It isn't really overpriced, they just have some premium goods. But their prepared foods for instance cost as much as any other place. Though I do question why they frequently have escargot in "grab and go" section. Is that a thing rich people do? Swing buy for some quick snails?
The Fresh Market runs a good weekly special on Tuesdays on its 80/20 ground chuck (ground in-store that day) and boneless, skinless chicken breast: $3.99 per pound.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Again: GO is the Overstock.com of grocers.

I managed to score a 7-in-1 Instant Pot at the Mt. Airy store for $70 — that model usually sells for $110.

As I said about this category in general, you're not there for the atmosphere, you're there for the bargains. I regularly buy Campbell's tomato juice there for 99c for a 46-fluid-ounce can. Tell me where I can find that brand at that price anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia