Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2017, 09:26 AM

70 posts, read 59,589 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm in the midst of a career transition to IT security. After spending my undergraduate years in research labs and working as a pharmacy tech, I am very interested in cybersecurity. One of the biggest reasons is due to what I have seen in healthcare. When patient health records are compromised, it presents serious danger. The critical thinking and constant need to update your knowledge reminds me of my time as a researcher. Its also for better job prospects lol. I'm sure most of you know of the little secure prospects in academia.
I am working on getting my certificates(A+, Network+, Security+, CISSP). I am also searching for internship opportunities(its very difficult to be employed without experience).
I know Philly has a market for developers, data analysts, and data scientists. But does it have a big market for IT Security professionals??? When I say big market, I mean can I find opportunities if I put in the work? Please do not mention startups because I cannot take the risk of working for one at this stage in my life.
Note: I'm 27 with a young child(Kindergarten). Her education and well-being is also important to me. This is why excellent job opportunities are crucial. Any thoughts would be helpful!
Another note: People have also mentioned that Research Triangle area and the DMV to me. If anyone is aware of the cybersecurity market in these areas, please chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 09:34 AM

2,582 posts, read 2,695,457 times
Philadelphia is a big city with a lot to offer and cheap cost of living overall for a big city. There's definitely got to be a demand in places or urban prosperity. Some places looking for developers don't have enough people working for them because they want too much knowledge for smaller pay, but maybe you can get your foot in the door at a smaller company with need and tell them why they need you.

You're in a great field that's not going to go away. I'd safe it's a safe bet. Having those certs are probably going to make a big difference though too.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:16 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,567,314 times
Have you looked on indeed.com or dice.com? One of my kids is in the cyber security field. Pay is great and he finds the work Interesting. I understand the certs are key.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: