Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 10:39 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,473,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Didn't have time to look any of that up. I know Philadelphia is continuing to see population growth but I have no idea about Pittsburgh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
How do you know exactly? Is it like your speculation about Bloomingdale's considering investing in 11th and Market, for instance? A notion I find almost 100% laughable.
Anyone even casually following Philly trends is aware of the growth. Google "Philadelphia population growth" and you'll get numerous references to our steady (and positive) growth in each of the last 10 years. (And we do it the old-fashioned way, within the city limits - none of this Phoenix/San Antonio cheating, where they keep annexing neighboring towns )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 12:59 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,824,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Anyone even casually following Philly trends is aware of the growth. Google "Philadelphia population growth" and you'll get numerous references to our steady (and positive) growth in each of the last 10 years. (And we do it the old-fashioned way, within the city limits - none of this Phoenix/San Antonio cheating, where they keep annexing neighboring towns )

I live in the city and have for over 20 years. I know there are more people in specific neighborhoods because, anecdotally speaking, I experience it just about every day. I also know the growth has been real over the last decade because of what the the census tells us. But, I guess, I should have said are there definite indicators that it's continuing? Plateaued? We will find out soon.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:10 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,910,998 times
Quote:
I live in the city and have for over 20 years. I know there are more people in specific neighborhoods because, anecdotally speaking, I experience it just about every day. I also know the growth has been real over the last decade because of what the the census tells us. But, I guess, I should have said are there definite indicators that it's continuing? Plateaued? We will find out soon.
April of 2018 and we'll see what 2017 estimates say. Unfortunately, it will be 2021 before we really find out if the estimates hold water.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:30 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,976,728 times
Quote:
It's continuing, maybe at a lower rate last year or so. Philly was gaining about 10,000 new residents in the first half or so of this decade.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:33 PM

8,634 posts, read 13,062,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
It's continuing, maybe at a lower rate last year or so. Philly was gaining about 10,000 new residents in the first half or so of this decade.
If Amazon relocates to Philly, I think the city will reach a population of over 2 million in 30 years.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If Amazon relocates to Philly, I think the city will reach a population of over 2 million in 30 years.
I'll check it but I believe the last time the city's pop. was over 2 million was wrt 1960 census.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:26 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,906,774 times
If Amazon doesn't build here, the city still needs to bring in more corporations. Not only suited for white collar professional's, but also the blue collar working class here. Not another Wawa's or Wal-Mart but some large manufacturing plants and warehouse distribution centers paying above minimum wage.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:31 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,348,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
If Amazon doesn't build here, the city still needs to bring in more corporations. Not only suited for white collar professional's, but also the blue collar working class here. Not another Wawa's or Wal-Mart but some large manufacturing plants and warehouse distribution centers paying above minimum wage.
Governor Wolf is on it. The Port of Philadelphia is receiving a RECORD $300 million in investments. Will bring tens of thousands of new jobs as a result.

https://www.governor.pa.gov/governor...y-create-jobs/

Also the pipeline development being built across the state will bring natural gas refinery to SEPA and as a result you are going to see an energy industry explosion in the region once that project is complete.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Hmmm, no. Not gonna happen. Those jobs are going to be doomed by more automation, robots and ai. It's only a matter of time and it's already going on. Don't believe me. Watch Amazon's holiday commercial. No people in the distribution center shown.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Governor Wolf is on it. The Port of Philadelphia is receiving a RECORD $300 million in investments. Will bring tens of thousands of new jobs as a result.

https://www.governor.pa.gov/governor...y-create-jobs/

Also the pipeline development being built across the state will bring natural gas refinery to SEPA and as a result you are going to see an energy industry explosion in the region once that project is complete.
Are you ever pessimistic and/or realistic about anything? Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia