Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 01:31 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
FWIW, the company I just left had a deal with the Club Quarters chain so I booked several people there and they all seemed to like it. It's not the Ritz, but clean and convenient.
I am sure it will be fine. Strange, they do not give breakfast. The restaurant next door is too expensive. Dunkin donuts is close by. Alexandra offers free breakfast and it is in a better location but I am not sleeping in a twin bed. Who would want to sleep in a twin bed? I wish they had microwaves so I could bring my oatmeal. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 05:00 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am sure it will be fine. Strange, they do not give breakfast. The restaurant next door is too expensive. Dunkin donuts is close by. Alexandra offers free breakfast and it is in a better location but I am not sleeping in a twin bed. Who would want to sleep in a twin bed? I wish they had microwaves so I could bring my oatmeal. Oh well.
If I'm traveling by my lonesome, I would have no problem sleeping in a twin bed.

Many regular hotels don't offer complimentary breakfast; the places I've stayed that do are largely members of chains in the middle of the hotel market, like La Quinta, Holiday Inn Express and Comfort Inn. I think most of the Choice Hotels chains (Quality, Sleep, Comfort, Clarion) do, but I'm pretty sure their upper-end chains (Cambria, Ascend) and their budget chains (EconoLodge, Rodeway Inn) don't.

Usual rule of thumb: If the hotel has its own restaurant, it doesn't serve a free breakfast. Club Quarters is probably unusual in being at the upper end of the market, having no restaurant, and serving no breakfast.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:31 AM

All of the hotels I stay at usually provide free breakfast. This hotel is the first that does not and it is four stars. I caught a sale that saves me around $150. I am pleased. June is far away.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:37 AM

I had an awesome time and extended my stay by two days. It is a great place for those who want a pedestrian lifestyle. Lots of joggers and baby carriages.

My legs are killing me. I walked everywhere with the exception of Georgetown. I visited the following places:

AA museum
Barnes Foundation
Museum for Colored Girls
Liberty Bell
Independence House
Betsy Ross House
South Street
Spruce Park
Museum of Contemporary Art
Fabric Museum
The Squares
Love and Amour
Chinatown
Elfreth Alley
College town ?
Penn landing
A library on Locoust. Lol!
Reading terminal

I walked from the harbor to 36th street several times. I am exhausted.

The highlights were the museum for colored girls and the first AA church. Barnes did not have many AA pieces. It has primarily sculptures. I found a few pieces I liked quite a bit.

The contemporary art museums coupled with what I saw has inspired me to make a creative space in my home. I need to buy one soon.

As for food, I found a great chinese restaurant near the Barnes Foundation. Miller's ice cream in the terminal was awesome. Honey n Eat makes great breakfast. Pancakes are awesome. I like the atmosphere in that place. What is the deal with cash only?

I did not scratch the surface of what Philly has to offer. I wonder why no one here talks about it. It is a great place.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:22 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
I had an awesome time and extended my stay by two days. It is a great place for those who want a pedestrian lifestyle. Lots of joggers and baby carriages.

My legs are killing me. I walked everywhere with the exception of Georgetown. I visited the following places:

AA museum
Barnes Foundation
Museum for Colored Girls
Liberty Bell
Independence House
Betsy Ross House
South Street
Spruce Park
Fabric Museum
The Squares
Love and Amour
Chinatown
Elfreth Alley
College town ?
Penn landing
Reading terminal

The highlights were the museum for colored girls and the first AA church. Barnes did not have many AA pieces. It has primarily sculptures. I found a few pieces I liked quite a bit.

The contemporary art museums coupled with what I saw has inspired me to make a creative space in my home. I need to buy one soon.

As for food, I found a great chinese restaurant near the Barnes Foundation. Miller's ice cream in the terminal was awesome. Honey n Eat makes great breakfast. Pancakes are awesome. I like the atmosphere in that place. What is the deal with cash only?

I did not scratch the surface of what Philly has to offer. I wonder why no one here talks about it. It is a great place.
People do talk about it but not as much as it should be talked about so a lot of what goes on here gets over looked because of Phila.'s proximity to NY and DC. That is changing, though, and it will continue to change as folks like you rave about it.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:

AA museum
Barnes Foundation
Museum for Colored Girls
Liberty Bell
Independence House
Betsy Ross House
South Street
Spruce Park
Fabric Museum
The Squares
Love and Amour
Chinatown
Elfreth Alley
College town ?
Penn landing
Reading terminal

The "library on Locust" was probably the Library Company of Philadelphia. Founded by Ben Franklin, it's the oldest library in the United States, and researchers can use it even if they're not members. They have many good exhibits in their first-floor gallery.

Its former home on South Broad Street now houses the High School for Creative and Performing Arts.

Glad you enjoyed the Colored Girl Museum, one of several unusual and quirky museums this city offers. Best known of these is the Mütter Museum of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, one of the biggest collections of physiological and medical oddities in the world. There's also the Wagner Free Institute of Science in North Philly, a science and natural history museum that is itself a museum piece, as everything in it is displayed the way they displayed things in the 19th century.

Next trip, save a day for Germantown itself - there are several historic houses along Germantown Avenue that are open for tours, including a major stop on the Underground Railroad and the site of the only Revolutionary War battle to take place within the present-day Philadelphia city limits. The "Summer White House," to which Washington and the government fled when a yellow fever epidemic gripped the city in the 1790s, is also located here.

I'm guessing the "college town" was University City, where Penn and Drexel are next-door neighbors and a major school of pharmacy and pharmacology lies a few blocks southwest of Penn.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:32 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
goodlife - Glad you posted. Typically, posters come on the forum and we provide advice, but we never know how their visit went. Also, I pride myself on knowing what’s going on around town, but I had never heard of the Colored Girl Museum. So thanks for informing me of another Philly venue I need to look into myself.

As to Philly flying under the radar, there really is some truth to the view that Philly suffers from a misperception among people unfamiliar with the city. I’ve shared part of our story this before on CD, but it seems appropriate to share it again. I retired to Philly from Houston 7+ years ago. When coworkers my age started planning retirement, we use to share our plans in informal chats. Places like Pugent Sound, Denver, Tennessee and the Carolinas were popular locales. When friends asked where my DH and I were retiring, I of course replied Philly. Then it became interesting because I'd get 2 nearly predictable responses:

1. The first group took on puzzled looks as iif they misheard me. Then followed the predictable stereotypes of Philly (rude, crime-infested, dirty, cold, blah, blah, blah).

2. The 2nd response was interesting. My company partnered with Wharton for our leadership development program, sending the "up and comers" to programs for extended stays in Philly. The general response from those folks can be summed up as "Wow - you're going to a great city!"

The secret gets out a little more each year we’ve been here. Big events like the Pope’s visit, the Democratic convention and the NFL draft have shined a positive light on the city. The city is on a good trajectory.

Thanks for visiting. Come back any time. But be careful: After our second visit, we moved here!

(And MarketStEl - thanks for decoding College Town. )

Old 06-08-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The "library on Locust" was probably the Library Company of Philadelphia. Founded by Ben Franklin, it's the oldest library in the United States, and researchers can use it even if they're not members. They have many good exhibits in their first-floor gallery.

Its former home on South Broad Street now houses the High School for Creative and Performing Arts.

Glad you enjoyed the Colored Girl Museum, one of several unusual and quirky museums this city offers. Best known of these is the Mütter Museum of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, one of the biggest collections of physiological and medical oddities in the world. There's also the Wagner Free Institute of Science in North Philly, a science and natural history museum that is itself a museum piece, as everything in it is displayed the way they displayed things in the 19th century.

Next trip, save a day for Germantown itself - there are several historic houses along Germantown Avenue that are open for tours, including a major stop on the Underground Railroad and the site of the only Revolutionary War battle to take place within the present-day Philadelphia city limits. The "Summer White House," to which Washington and the government fled when a yellow fever epidemic gripped the city in the 1790s, is also located here.

I'm guessing the "college town" was University City, where Penn and Drexel are next-door neighbors and a major school of pharmacy and pharmacology lies a few blocks southwest of Penn.
Yes, it is University City. Lol! The library looked like a neighborhood library. It is right by the Rittenhouse Square. Not sure about spelling.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
goodlife - Glad you posted. Typically, posters come on the forum and we provide advice, but we never know how their visit went. Also, I pride myself on knowing what’s going on around town, but I had never heard of the Colored Girl Museum. So thanks for informing me of another Philly venue I need to look into myself.

As to Philly flying under the radar, there really is some truth to the view that Philly suffers from a misperception among people unfamiliar with the city. I’ve shared part of our story this before on CD, but it seems appropriate to share it again. I retired to Philly from Houston 7+ years ago. When coworkers my age started planning retirement, we use to share our plans in informal chats. Places like Pugent Sound, Denver, Tennessee and the Carolinas were popular locales. When friends asked where my DH and I were retiring, I of course replied Philly. Then it became interesting because I'd get 2 nearly predictable responses:

1. The first group took on puzzled looks as iif they misheard me. Then followed the predictable stereotypes of Philly (rude, crime-infested, dirty, cold, blah, blah, blah).

2. The 2nd response was interesting. My company partnered with Wharton for our leadership development program, sending the "up and comers" to programs for extended stays in Philly. The general response from those folks can be summed up as "Wow - you're going to a great city!"

The secret gets out a little more each year we’ve been here. Big events like the Pope’s visit, the Democratic convention and the NFL draft have shined a positive light on the city. The city is on a good trajectory.

Thanks for visiting. Come back any time. But be careful: After our second visit, we moved here!

(And MarketStEl - thanks for decoding College Town. )
I met some nice people but the issue is always economics. It is not likely they can afford to live in the area I stayed. I got lucky with my hotel because I booked early and cheap tickets was running a sale. The price was double when I requested to stay longer. I ended up in a dump in Old City. I think that is the name. The difference was only $25 per night. Crazy.

I was tempted but I am not a city girl. I prefer the burbs. There were plenty of people. I have never seen so many baby carriages and joggers in my life. I am just surprised it has not made any lists. There is so much to do but I am not sure about job prospects. The suburbs look expensive.

I visited Washington with a tour group and it was okay. Perhaps it would have been better if I went alone.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is University City. Lol! The library looked like a neighborhood library. It is right by the Rittenhouse Square. Not sure about spelling.
Okay, then that wasn't the Library Company, which is in the 1300 block of Locust in Washington Square West. (That part of the neighborhood, from 11th to Broad, Chestnut to Pine, is also known as the "Gayborhood.")

That was the Philadelphia City Institute branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. That is one of the most heavily used branches in the Free Library system. The City Institute was founded in the 1850s as a subscription library for merchants and tradespeople; I forget when its collection was folded into the Free Library system. Our public library system was founded in 1891.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia