Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 03:26 PM

17 posts, read 17,297 times

Advertisements

Hello Philly ,

Moving from Dallas - Any suggestion . Wera re family of four ( 2 kids )

Need to stay closer to Asian-Indian community areas but open to more mixed group living as well.

Will be working in king of prussia.
I am looking for apartments r houses , rent to be around 1500 ( 2 BHK) - For houses I am willing to spend more if the neighbourhood is great and school are wonderful.

Important : Elementary school rating ( Top rated even if that means living out of indian community ) and grocery stores ( not so important )

Kindly advise.

Thanks
Sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 04:48 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discover.sunny View Post
Hello Philly ,

Need to stay closer to Asian-Indian community areas but open to more mixed group living as well.

I am looking for apartments r houses , rent to be around 1500 ( 2 BHK) - For houses I am willing to spend more if the neighbourhood is great and school are wonderful.

Important : Elementary school rating ( Top rated even if that means living out of indian community ) and grocery stores ( not so important )

Kindly advise.

Thanks
Sunny
Hopefully, others will chime in... I think there is sizable Indian community right in, or near, KoP.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:29 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,691 times
I believe NJ and PA have the largest Asian-Indian population in the US. There are as many if not probably more Indian restaurants than Italian and Chinese restaurants in the area. I'd go as far as saying some neighborhoods have been run-over by Indians therefore you will not have a problem finding Asian Indian communities.

The only thing I want to add is that if you buy in an Indian community, when it comes to selling, the pool of buyers will be limited to Indians because non-Indians will balk at buying a home in an Indian community.

If I were you, I'd go with good school districts as the first priority. KOP is in Upper Merion SD but the neighboring Tredyffrin/Easttown School District is highly rated. So is Great Valley in Malvern.

Quote:
Hello Philly ,

Kindly advise.

Thanks
Sunny

Old 04-27-2018, 12:56 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,681,266 times
Secane, PA, and possibly some area in Bucks mentioned in another thread have a significant Indian population. If you can't find a good school district in immediate vicinity, then definitely nearby.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I believe NJ and PA have the largest Asian-Indian population in the US. There are as many if not probably more Indian restaurants than Italian and Chinese restaurants in the area. I'd go as far as saying some neighborhoods have been run-over by Indians therefore you will not have a problem finding Asian Indian communities.

The only thing I want to add is that if you buy in an Indian community, when it comes to selling, the pool of buyers will be limited to Indians because non-Indians will balk at buying a home in an Indian community.

If I were you, I'd go with good school districts as the first priority. KOP is in Upper Merion SD but the neighboring Tredyffrin/Easttown School District is highly rated. So is Great Valley in Malvern.
Thanks for the answer, so which communities essentially where it is over run by Indian community , if you know please share.

Again my priority is definitely school district - Since I am working in KOP , I do want to limit my commnute . However if school district is not that great ( tier 1, 9/10 rated) then I open to other area .
Whta areas or zip i need to look for Tredyffrin/Easttown School District .

Old 05-07-2018, 02:25 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Thanks for the answer, so which communities essentially where it is over run by Indian community , if you know please share.

Again my priority is definitely school district - Since I am working in KOP , I do want to limit my commnute . However if school district is not that great ( tier 1, 9/10 rated) then I open to other area .
Whta areas or zip i need to look for Tredyffrin/Easttown School District .
I believe King or Prussia falls into Upper Merion School District, which is excellent, as are most school districts in that area.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:36 AM

9,336 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post

I hope that’s a British-ism and doesn’t have the same negative connotation as “overrun.”

OP: Upper Merion has the most Indians (nearing 10% in the general population, and probably somewhat higher in the public schools). Public schools are fine, but not phenomenal.

Tredyffrin-Easttown has around half of the South Asian population, which is still fairly high for the Philadelphia Area, and unbeatable public schools. That’s not to say you’d do your children a disservice by choosing UM. Educational outcomes will probably be the same. But if you want best of the best, T-E is it.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I hope that’s a British-ism and doesn’t have the same negative connotation as “overrun.”

OP: Upper Merion has the most Indians (nearing 10% in the general population, and probably somewhat higher in the public schools). Public schools are fine, but not phenomenal.

Tredyffrin-Easttown has around half of the South Asian population, which is still fairly high for the Philadelphia Area, and unbeatable public schools. That’s not to say you’d do your children a disservice by choosing UM. Educational outcomes will probably be the same. But if you want best of the best, T-E is it.
Any apts in this area -Tredyffrin-Easttown.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post

Elijah

Any apartments in the TE school distrcit .. I looked for few like MAin line brewyn and they were poor in infrastructure.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:43 AM

192 posts, read 160,872 times
Quote:
Elijah

Any apartments in the TE school distrcit .. I looked for few like MAin line brewyn and they were poor in infrastructure.
TE is one of the best school districts (if not the best) in the state. It's also along the western edges of the Main Line...which means it's expensive. My wife's family lives there and her parent's fairly modest split level house is $1mil. Not sure your $1500/mth for a family of 4 is going to get you anything palatial. Also, it's VERY VERY VERY waspy. The high school parking lot is full of BMWs and Audis. Did I mention it's WASPY?

No, if you want diversity check out North Penn in Lansdale - will be more in line with your price point and probably overall disposition in life given what you can spend (that's a compliment, by the way). Huge Indian/Asian community and a really good school.

Edit. OK, just asked my wife and she said there were, in fact, a few Indian students at the school.

Last edited by PHLondoner; 06-06-2018 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia