Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 PM

19 posts, read 106,065 times

Advertisements

Anyone know about this place?

Is it a decent neighborhood if you're living in a development with 400K+ houses? Are the property taxes bad there? What are the schools like? How's the traffic, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 02:26 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
Personally, I hated living there...I only lived there one year before we moved to Newtown, about a half an hour away.
I found it a little...tired is the nice word to say. The houses are older and I just didn't feel all that safe there. Not that it is a "bad" area but it isn't the best. Traffic depends on where you are going. I didn't think it was bad to go to Newtown, but I did think it was bad to go to NorthEast Philly.
For $400K I think you could find a little better area...As I said Newtown is nice but that price will get you a townhome. Doylestown is nice...Parts of Langhore and Holland are nice.
Good luck. There are some decent parts to Bensalem...I just didn't like it much there.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:22 AM

5 posts, read 50,898 times
Default What About Short-Term In Bensalem?

I just found out I have to relocate to the Bensalem area (from FL) in 3 weeks and don't know the area at all. I'm a single woman, late '30s, w/ 2 cats. I'm looking for a short-term lease on an apt. so, if I hate it, I'll have the option to move to another nearby area once I get my bearings.

But I'll be working in Bensalem and would like a very short commute (30 min or less) at least until I get to know the roads & highways.

Any advice on apartments in or very close to Bensalem that would be safe & not run-down–even just for 3 months or so?

From what I'm reading, if you don't know the right & wrong areas, it can be pretty "iffy."

Thanks to any & all replies!!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:23 AM

p.s. Forgot to mention: my price range for a short-term apt. would be anywhere between $800-$1000 a month (1B/1B).

Thanks!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:05 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
You could try Korman suites. It is in Bensalem. That is where we lived for the year we lived there. It is okay. The rent back then was $800 for a one bedroom with a den. That was in 2000.
Good luck. Oh, and for permanent living, I would look into Newtown, parts of Langhorne...these are not far from Bensalem.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:23 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
I don't live in Bensalem but have friends that do and have been to visit at their places many times. From my perspective (and for the record I live in Horsham). Just knowing that I have to drive to Bensalem (the area just off of the turnpike) drives me nuts. it's dirty, congested and the roads are more horrible than everywhere else in PA. I don't know enough about Bensalem to properly give advice but there are definitely areas you want to stay away from, many of them. I'm sure there are nice areas too, I just haven't found them.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Yea Bensalem/Lower Bucks County isn't the best place around,kinda trashy is right.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Like many of the closer, older suburbs in all the surrounding counties Bensalem is a little rough around the edges. You can go to similar places in Delco, Montco, or Bucks. Move out a bit more and it gets nicer and also more $$$.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
There is already a thread on Bensalem.....look on page 2.

Basicly it is a very large township with some of everything.....parts of it are very nice and others not so good..... although nothing very bad either.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:17 AM

Thanks to everyone for your input & help!

I'd read the other Bensalem threads, but those seemed more directed at people looking to buy homes (not rent short-term). I've got a hold on an apt. in Langhorne and am spending all day today trying to find some "backups" in Langhorne, Levittown & Yardley in case 1st apt. falls through. I'd read too much here about living in Bensalen to rent there, sight unseen.

I only have until Aug. 1st (2 weeks) to find a place & move up there so it's gonna be a "hail Mary," but if I get 3-6 month lease...I can survive anything that long.

Sounds like Langhorne & Yardley will be safer, though.
I hope it works out!!! Never had to move this quickly before...from 6 states away!

Thanks again to all!!!! I really appreciate it!

Looking forward to being in PA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia