Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:45 PM

7,273 posts, read 10,615,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Actually, yes please. What's your objection to Mayor Nutter? A lot of people seem to prefer his style to John Street. Or is it that you prefer another alternative?
Agreed. Nutter is the best thing to happen to Philadelphia in a while. People who can't see the positive direction he wants to take the city in are blatant pessimists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:34 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,918,509 times
Big things wrong with Philly, in no particular order:

1. The "Stop Snitching" culture that tells people to not report crime to the police and to not cooperate with police when they investigate crimes.
Here's an editorial on it:
What we have to do about 'Stop Snitching' | Philadelphia Daily News | 05/14/2008

2. Taxes. High city wage tax if you just work in the city, but even higher if you live there. High taxes on businesses causing them to flee to more business-friendly locations.

3. The Boulevard. (Did you know that Grant & Blvd and Red Lion & Blvd were two of the most deadly intersections in the nation?)

4. The people who wear "Free Mumia" T shirts in the very town where Danny Faulkner was brutally murdered. And the PC people who decide it's okay and that no one should complain.

5. The distrastrous schools.

6. The fact that one of the most famous Philly news anchors is married to an extreme left wing Congressman, and she is shameless in her political leanings, yet the evening news claims to be unbiased.

7. Bus drivers make more than police officers, and will keep going on strike because they think they're entitled to more.

8. Certain jobs require employees to live within the city (police, teachers, county behavioral health entities, etc). Why would this be required if it were such a nice place to live?

9. US Air dominates the airport and they are terrible. The airport is also on of the ugliest, most depressing airports in the world.

10. The sweaty guys who sell sweaty pretzels at traffic lights. They have been videotaped "relieving themselves" and then touching pretzels without washing their hands. The pretzels are also covered with flies and exhaust fumes.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,723,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
8. Certain jobs require employees to live within the city (police, teachers, county behavioral health entities, etc). Why would this be required if it were such a nice place to live?
I can't speak for the other professions, but the teacher requirement came at a time when there was a surplus of teachers. It was just a way of narrowing the applicant pool, and they haven't fixed it yet (though, if I had to guess, I'd say it's a union thing).

Old 07-09-2008, 08:44 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,552,023 times
Quote:
4. The people who wear "Free Mumia" T shirts in the very town where Danny Faulkner was brutally murdered. And the PC people who decide it's okay and that no one should complain.
umm, its called freedom of expression. what do you propose we do to people that wear the t-shirt? lock em up?

Old 07-09-2008, 01:09 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,918,509 times
Um, no, I never wrote anything like that. We are writing about things that are bad in Philly. There are people who support this disgusting cop killer, and they choose to display that. Yes it is their right. I do not propose limiting that right by any law or government control.

But people also have the right to react negatively to such displays. And in Philly especially, such a display is repugnant.

It really bugs me when I post something about not liking what people say, and then someone jumps in with "it's their freedom of speech!" or "What, do you want them to be silenced?" I believe in freedom of speech more than you will ever know. But this is the right to not have government limit our speech, not the right to say anything you want without experiencing negative consequences from others.

The whole thread, this whole website for that matter, is a place where people ask and give opinions. I gave my opinion on what some of the worst things in Philly were. If your opinion is one that supports cop killers, then by all means, post your views as well.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,552,023 times
^^ point taken

Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 PM

7 posts, read 39,384 times
No way. Chestnut Hill has gone WAY don the past 10 years. It's still the Phila school district, plus ALL the shops have left the Ave. Only banks are left. There's not even a WAWA anymore. Too high rent and CRIME! My in-laws got their SUV stolen from out in front of their house several years ago, in the "nice" part of CH. Thank god my husband wanted to move out to the 'burbs when we bought our first house.

East Falls and Mount Airy are just as bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Chestnut Hill might be the best community in the entire region.University City,Center City,Fairmount Park,Manayunk,Mount Airy,East Falls,Overbrook Farms are top notch.South Philly still has a certain charm, The cultural district of Philly destroys the rest of the metro and all but 4 or 5 of the rest of the cities in USA.

It has many positives to go along with the many negatives. Just my 2 cents

Old 07-10-2008, 06:21 PM

7 posts, read 39,384 times
I think you hit the nail on the head. Way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Big things wrong with Philly, in no particular order:

1. The "Stop Snitching" culture that tells people to not report crime to the police and to not cooperate with police when they investigate crimes.
Here's an editorial on it:
What we have to do about 'Stop Snitching' | Philadelphia Daily News | 05/14/2008 (http://www.philly.com/dailynews/opinion/20080514_What_we_have_to_do_about__Stop_Snitching_ .html - broken link)

2. Taxes. High city wage tax if you just work in the city, but even higher if you live there. High taxes on businesses causing them to flee to more business-friendly locations.

3. The Boulevard. (Did you know that Grant & Blvd and Red Lion & Blvd were two of the most deadly intersections in the nation?)

5. The distrastrous schools.

6. The fact that one of the most famous Philly news anchors is married to an extreme left wing Congressman, and she is shameless in her political leanings, yet the evening news claims to be unbiased.

7. Bus drivers make more than police officers, and will keep going on strike because they think they're entitled to more.

9. US Air dominates the airport and they are terrible. The airport is also on of the ugliest, most depressing airports in the world.

10. The sweaty guys who sell sweaty pretzels at traffic lights. They have been videotaped "relieving themselves" and then touching pretzels without washing their hands. The pretzels are also covered with flies and exhaust fumes.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 PM

983 posts, read 2,775,999 times
I know a couple who sold their house in East Falls because the crime is going up there. Their house had been broken into while they were sleeping (luckily their dogs scared away the intruder).

Old 07-11-2008, 02:12 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,937,982 times
Wow, you guys are really down on your city. WHen I was there two weeks everybody seemed to have pride in it. Is it just that this forum is really really negative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia