Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 01:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,234,291 times

Advertisements

Not only am I a hardened Philadelphian who has lived in the city and region for all but three of my 23 yaers of life, but I'm also very progressive. In my opinion, the city needs to take drastic action regarding the out-of-control homeless populations in Suburban and Market East Stations.

One time, I had just arrived back in Philly after spending the weekend in NYC. It was well after midnight, so I decided to get off at Suburban and walk towards Broad and Walnut to catch the 42 instead of the Market-Frankford Owl bus. When I was walking under 16th Street (near where the Au Bon Pain used to be), three homeless people simultaneously asked me for money. I ignored them as I usually do. One of them became pretty agitated and started to verbally insult me. There I was, walking and WISHING that he would do something, as I'm not afraid to defend myself. I decided to get out of there since they weren't worth my time.

I'm a 6'2 guy with a slightly muscular build, which is usually enough to deter people from messing with me. If that guy was willing to get snippy with me, I can't imagine what it must be like for a woman who happens to be passing through.

A train station is no place for a population full of mentally ill and drug-addicted people to be living. The city needs to take action, clear them out, and potentially offer them temporary. Kenney isn't taking a strong enough stance against this. I usually don't give two sh*ts about the homeless person passing me by as I ride the El or wait on a train at Suburban, but they are potentially dangerous to others.

As I mentioned earlier, I am very progressive, but I honestly believe that it's time to reopen the institutions that were closed about a decade before I was born. This time, however, the standard of care should be markedly improved through closer supervision. Voluntarily or involuntarily commit them, treat them, and keep them off of city streets and in public areas. There has to be a better way to handle the national problem of homelessness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 04:15 PM

938 posts, read 446,890 times
I don't know why 'progressive' needs to be a negative. Maybe 'progressive' should start being used in line with common sense.
Common sense says move them out of there, start enforcing laws and ban Narcan.

I don't see how allowing derelicts to ruin people's quality of life, taking a soft stance on crime, reviving junkies and allowing illegal aliens to roam free in your city is 'progress.' Sounds sick and vile to me.

Last edited by Indiana Tony; 04-11-2019 at 04:29 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 04:27 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
I think it's time to move the outreach center out of the station. It just draws the homeless down there. I also think SEPTA Police should have more power to remove people. Philly is one of the few cities that has nearly enough beds for every homeless person. I feel bad for the mentally ill, but some people are a nuisance on purpose when they could get help.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:37 PM

938 posts, read 446,890 times
'Progress' - Another positive word that's been hijacked by the wackos.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:27 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Not only am I a hardened Philadelphian who has lived in the city and region for all but three of my 23 yaers of life, but I'm also very progressive. In my opinion, the city needs to take drastic action regarding the out-of-control homeless populations in Suburban and Market East Statio

[some deleted]

I'm a 6'2 guy with a slightly muscular build, which is usually enough to deter people from messing with me. If that guy was willing to get snippy with me, I can't imagine what it must be like for a woman who happens to be passing through.

A train station is no place for a population full of mentally ill and drug-addicted people to be living. The city needs to take action, clear them out, and potentially offer them temporary. Kenney isn't taking a strong enough stance against this. I usually don't give two sh*ts about the homeless person passing me by as I ride the El or wait on a train at Suburban, but they are potentially dangerous to others.

As I mentioned earlier, I am very progressive, but I honestly believe that it's time to reopen the institutions that were closed about a decade before I was born. This time, however, the standard of care should be markedly improved through closer supervision. Voluntarily or involuntarily commit them, treat them, and keep them off of city streets and in public areas. There has to be a better way to handle the national problem of homelessness.
Offer how you would re-build those institutions which would have to be built from scratch, btw. And where? Byberry was torn down and so was Haverford State Hospital. Norristown State Hospital is still around but just what does it do now?

Women are stronger than, I guess, you think... You don't have to worry about how we may respond to something. Do you think female law enforcement individuals are weak? Well, of course, you don't.

I said multiple times, one of the reasons, it looks worse is because of the Project Home managed facility underneath Suburban Station.

The city cleaned up/out the Kensington Drug area, so that may be part of it.

Don't go out to some western cities if you think this is bad.

There are absolutely tons of articles about homelessness and what is driving it and what needs to be done.

And why hasn't a smart guy like you learned anything about how Sister Mary Scullion has been trying to tackle this problem? That surprises me since there is at least one Project Home supported apts near Temple.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I think it's time to move the outreach center out of the station. It just draws the homeless down there. I also think SEPTA Police should have more power to remove people. Philly is one of the few cities that has nearly enough beds for every homeless person. I feel bad for the mentally ill, but some people are a nuisance on purpose when they could get help.
Isn't the center new? A lot of money was spent on it. Where would you put it?

And "remove" where?

Old 04-12-2019, 05:59 AM

409 posts, read 370,872 times
By coincidence, I watched this Youtube video last night. It was by a local news station in Seattle, which is undergoing a homeless problem similar to San Francisco. It's an hour long, but I never lost interest in it at any point (my wife even liked it and she typically hates these types of shows):

Seattle is Dying

In short, they blame progressive policies (legalized possession of hard-drugs in small amounts, refusal to prosecute criminals, generally enabling the addiction) and recommend what Rhode Island is doing (state-run rehabs, with incarceration being the first step).

Old 04-12-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
By coincidence, I watched this Youtube video last night. It was by a local news station in Seattle, which is undergoing a homeless problem similar to San Francisco. It's an hour long, but I never lost interest in it at any point (my wife even liked it and she typically hates these types of shows):

Seattle is Dying

In short, they blame progressive policies (legalized possession of hard-drugs in small amounts, refusal to prosecute criminals, generally enabling the addiction) and recommend what Rhode Island is doing (state-run rehabs, with incarceration being the first step).
Yeah, I watched that. I've only been to Seattle once and that was a long time ago.

I've had two partners who had alcohol problems. Suffice it to say those relationships died. Addiction is an intractable problem. I don't think it's solvable, tbh. People have been using intoxicating substances for thousands of years and will continue doing so.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:30 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,441,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
The 2 most desirable, expensive, cities in the Western hemisphere are San Francisco and Vancouver. Both of which have similar policies to Seattle on treating homeless, drug addicts, and mentally ill people.

Whereas the most conservative places with the most heartless policies are places like Kansas and Kentucky, where no one is clamoring to live.

Seattle isn't going anywhere. Don't believe the hype.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:26 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,753,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
https://6abc.com/community-events/me...ation/5241057/

And, of course, our spineless mayor declares there's nothing we can do ... What a loser.

I've been down there, it's creepy and disgusting because of the bums and junkies. Aren't there laws against loitering? How about allowing the police to actually police the area and remove the filth who are just lazing about?
It's a joke how the scum get to ruin whatever they want and the good people don't have a say.

I only go to the taco bell in suburban station mainly because it's nothing else in there to go and buy food. Just Tiffany's Bakery and Taco bell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia