Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 06:56 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,530 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have traveled to all four cities over the past five years. I'm a huge history buff, so I always try to check out places that are chock full of historic sites, monuments, etc.

We visited Philly last summer, and so far it has been the best trip we've ever had. We can't wait to go back.

It's not that we didn't enjoy DC, Boston, and NYC, but Philly felt different. We stayed in Old City/Historic District, so virtually all the attractions we wished to see were within easy walking distance.

We Ubered only once to check out the Rocky statue and Love sculpture one night.

I suppose the key difference is that with the other three destinations, the historic attractions are concentrated in the heart of the city. In Philly, they are mostly situated in a quiet neighborhood (Old City) that's away from downtown and those other busy spots.

I'm guessing that if I had spent more time in Center City, it would have felt more like New York, Boston, or DC. I'm glad we didn't, though.

I felt right at home in Old City. It's the only city where we've felt comfortable enough to wander around late at night. The other three cities, on the other hand, felt less homely and more touristy.

This summer, we're considering visiting Baltimore and Annapolis in Maryland. But Philly set such a high bar that now we fear we're going to be comparing every other city we visit to it.

Do you have the same impression of Philly -- in comparison to NY, Boston, and DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 07:23 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,434 times
Actually one of the reason many of my friends enjoy Philadelphia is it's ease to get to all those other places.

My friends from the West Coast come to Philly and have an easy time getting to NYC and DC. Now I don't think it's a fair comparison to other cities. Come on, NYC has 8 million folks, that's almost the entire state of Pennsylvania. heck Manhattan has got 1.8 million residents squeezed onto 8 miles of real estate. lol "homey" ain't an adjective that goes with it.

I was born and raised in NYC so I'm a bit biased but just a bit, lol.

Basically I really don't compare the 4, they are just too different IMO. Extend your trip and do day/overnight trips to the other places. Each one has it's own flavor.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Now I don't think it's a fair comparison to other cities. Come on, NYC has 8 million folks, that's almost the entire state of Pennsylvania. heck Manhattan has got 1.8 million residents squeezed onto 8 miles of real estate. lol "homey" ain't an adjective that goes with it.
That's a fair point. Old City only has about 6,000 residents. Philly itself has around 1.58 million residents.

I also loved all the parks in Old City/Society Hill-- so many lovely places to sit down and relax. We didn't have a chance to see Rittenhouse Square, unfortunately.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:52 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
From a history buff's standpoint, I think Philadelphia is actually the best city visit of the major four East Coast cities. All four have something distinct to offer for sure, and Boston is neck and neck with Philly, but you just can't beat the birthplace of the USA. I also agree Philadelphia feels the "least touristy" of the four, although I am not sure how the numbers actually stack up.

DC is also very concentrated in its historical markers and things to do around the Smithsonian. Center City, especially around Rittenhouse, does feel a bit like a small slice of Manhattan. However, the difference of scale and intensity is pretty apparent. I actually think Old City, Society Hill, etc. feel quite similar to Boston's historic neighborhoods like Beacon Hill. I will agree Philly and DC really feel nothing alike, and I visit DC quite often.

I am glad you enjoy visiting Philly so much. I know you are a history buff, but I'd suggest checking out other fun parts of the city like the Italian Market, Gerrmantown (quite a bit of history to be had there too), Clark Park, etc. You can get a more full experience of the city that way.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post

I am glad you enjoy visiting Philly so much. I know you are a history buff, but I'd suggest checking out other fun parts of the city like the Italian Market, Gerrmantown (quite a bit of history to be had there too), Clark Park, etc. You can get a more full experience of the city that way.
Thanks for the suggestions. Next time we'll also be sure to check out The Franklin Institute and the University of Pennsylvania.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:38 AM

My wife and I have been debating where to go this summer.

We've considered the following:
- Maryland (Baltimore and Annapolis)
- New Jersey (maybe Trenton, Princeton, Morristown)
- Charleston, SC
- Massachusetts (maybe Quincy, Concord, Lexington)

Maryland is the frontrunner right now.

The original plan was to go to DC to celebrate our 5-year anniversary (we went for our honeymoon in 2014). Unfortunately, the reopening of the Washington monument has been pushed back again. It was closed for repairs the last time we went, and we don't want to miss it a second time, so that's why we scrapped plans for DC this year.

After visiting these four amazing cities (DC, NYC, Boston, Philly), I sense Maryland is going to feel like a downgrade. We haven't booked anything yet, so we still have time to decide. We could opt not to go on any major trip this summer and leave DC for later in the year.

Baltimore has their Washington monument, and Annapolis has the Maryland State House. Other than a few historic homes here and there, it seems we'd be spending most of our time in places like the Aquarium, Science Museum, and Maryland Historical Society.

I'm still debating whether it's worth it.

Last edited by Wordsmith12; 06-20-2019 at 08:57 AM..

Old 06-20-2019, 09:17 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
My wife and I have traveled to all four cities over the past five years. I'm a huge history buff, so I always try to check out places that are chock full of historic sites, monuments, etc.

We visited Philly last summer, and so far it has been the best trip we've ever had. We can't wait to go back.

It's not that we didn't enjoy DC, Boston, and NYC, but Philly felt different. We stayed in Old City/Historic District, so virtually all the attractions we wished to see were within easy walking distance.

We Ubered only once to check out the Rocky statue and Love sculpture one night.

I suppose the key difference is that with the other three destinations, the historic attractions are concentrated in the heart of the city. In Philly, they are mostly situated in a quiet neighborhood (Old City) that's away from downtown and those other busy spots.

I'm guessing that if I had spent more time in Center City, it would have felt more like New York, Boston, or DC. I'm glad we didn't, though.

I felt right at home in Old City. It's the only city where we've felt comfortable enough to wander around late at night. The other three cities, on the other hand, felt less homely and more touristy.

This summer, we're considering visiting Baltimore and Annapolis in Maryland. But Philly set such a high bar that now we fear we're going to be comparing every other city we visit to it.

Do you have the same impression of Philly -- in comparison to NY, Boston, and DC?
Btw, Old City is a neighborhood in Center City. So it is "downtown". But I know what you mean.

I like NY but I don't necessarily love it. I do visit pretty regularly though.

I actually like Cambridge a lot more than Boston proper.

DC? I'm pretty much "meh" about it. Other than the Smithsonian it's not a place, overall, that I make a big effort to see on a regular basis.

I was born in Philadelphia. I love the city. I will never live anywhere else. I hope it's my good fortune to die here.

You should check out Annapolis. I enjoyed it the time I visited.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
My wife and I have been debating where to go this summer.

We've considered the following:
- Maryland (Baltimore and Annapolis)
- New Jersey (maybe Trenton, Princeton, Morristown)
- Charleston, SC
- Massachusetts (maybe Quincy, Concord, Lexington)

Maryland is the frontrunner right now.

The original plan was to go to DC to celebrate our 5-year anniversary (we went for our honeymoon in 2014). Unfortunately, the reopening of the Washington monument has been pushed back again. It was closed for repairs the last time we went, and we don't want to miss it a second time, so that's why we scrapped plans for DC this year.

After visiting these four amazing cities (DC, NYC, Boston, Philly), I sense Maryland is going to feel like a downgrade. We haven't booked anything yet, so we still have time to decide. We could opt not to go on any major trip this summer and leave DC for later in the year.

Baltimore has their Washington monument, and Annapolis has the Maryland State House. Other than a few historic homes here and there, it seems we'd be spending most of our time in places like the Aquarium, Science Museum, and Maryland Historical Society.

I'm still debating whether it's worth it.
Charlston! I was surprised about how much I liked it.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:20 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,615 times
I've lived in DC, NYC and now Philly. I've been to Boston a ton. We live in Old City.

So, the technicality first, Old City is technically considered Center City but for the most part, when one refers to CC, they are really talking about the area a few blocks radius in any direction from City Hall. Some have a more exact requirement to consider Center City as it's true dimensions - from river to river, south street to Spring Garden. It's your preference.

Old City is pretty darn touristy so the fact that you found that not to be the case is good. North of Market St., aside from a couple of sites (Elfreth's Alley and Betsy Ross' house) is relatively quiet. It's easily our favorite part of town for the same reasons you like it, but there are quaint, beautiful parts in all of Philly and that's due to the historical nature. The fact that you didn't get to see Rittenhouse is a bummer because that is one of, if not the nicest parts of town. It's a bit more Metropolitan and upscale and a really cool place to hang out for dinner and drinks.

Philly is by far, our favorite place we've ever lived.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I've lived in DC, NYC and now Philly. I've been to Boston a ton. We live in Old City.

So, the technicality first, Old City is technically considered Center City but for the most part, when one refers to CC, they are really talking about the area a few blocks radius in any direction from City Hall. Some have a more exact requirement to consider Center City as it's true dimensions - from river to river, south street to Spring Garden. It's your preference.

Old City is pretty darn touristy so the fact that you found that not to be the case is good. North of Market St., aside from a couple of sites (Elfreth's Alley and Betsy Ross' house) is relatively quiet. It's easily our favorite part of town for the same reasons you like it, but there are quaint, beautiful parts in all of Philly and that's due to the historical nature. The fact that you didn't get to see Rittenhouse is a bummer because that is one of, if not the nicest parts of town. It's a bit more Metropolitan and upscale and a really cool place to hang out for dinner and drinks.

Philly is by far, our favorite place we've ever lived.
It's really simple. What we have decided to call "Center City" is the original Philadelphia before the 1854 consolidation with Phila. Co. And, no, Spring Garden St is not the northern border of CC. Vine St is.

But I'm not trying to start any arguments about it! Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia