Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 AM

86 posts, read 417,299 times

Advertisements

I will be in Villanova for 4 weeks over the summer for some law program. I was told that Philadelphia is about 30 minutes away on the train, so I plan to explore the city on weekends.

What sites/activities would you all recommend? I already plan on doing the whole touristy Liberty Bell, "seat of democracy-blah-blah-blah" deal, but I'd like to see some local culture too. I'm 21, so I can do the bar scene, although that's not my only interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:18 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Buy a good guide book, the fattest, most up to date one you can find. It will be worth the investment. If it isn't available where you live then wait till you get here.

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-16-2008 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: competing site

Old 04-17-2008, 07:53 PM

32 posts, read 121,370 times
Default Things to see

One of my favorite site in Philadelphia is the College of Physicians of Philadelphia's Mutter Museum (:: CCP - Mütter Museum :: (http://www.collphyphil.org/mutter.asp - broken link)). It is a museum of medical history and is very interesting. Furthermore, the University of Pennsylvania has a museum of archeology that is very cool and affordable at 33rd and Spruce.

Also, near Chinatown is the Reading Terminal Market, which is pretty cool and a good place to go for lunch. There is an ice cream / pretzel stand that has the best pretzels I've ever had. The market is on 12th street and Filbert, which is one block north of Market Street.

For a bar scene, I've always liked Northern Liberties. The area is approximately 5th to 2nd Street, between Girard and Spring Garden. There area recently has had extensive urban renewal, but there are many cool bars / taverns that are nice and low key.

I hope this is helpful.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:48 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
Welcome to gophila.com -- the Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia

Old 04-17-2008, 09:15 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Personally, my interest is always seeing the actual city itself. I love the old historic architecture of Philly. Go to Old City area, and just look around Center City--you're bound to come across 5 story, 180 year old Georgian/Federal Style townhouses.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:57 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
I would check these weeklies ahead of time for events (concerts, festivals, etc.), so you can plan around those, if you are interested:

philadelphia weekly online - philadelphia's source for dining, real estate, art, music and alternative news
25 Years of Independent Journalism :: Philadelphia City Paper :: Philadelphia Arts, Restaurants, Music, Movies, Jobs, Classifieds, Blogs

Old 04-18-2008, 06:44 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Be sure to check out The Barnes Foundation, about 15 minutes from Villanova in Merion:

The Barnes Foundation

Also, here's a link to Valley Forge National Park:

Valley Forge National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Here's one to the King of Prussia Mall:

King of Prussia Mall: The East Coast's Premier Shopping Destination

Old 04-19-2008, 09:13 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
go to the continental midtown roofdeck for some food, drinks and nice view of the city.

Continental Mid-town

also, go to citizen's bank park and catch a ballgame.

and, since you'll be here for 4 weeks, take a trip to NYC or AC for the beach

Old 04-20-2008, 03:05 PM

983 posts, read 2,772,988 times
I like the Mutter Museum too. Something you will never forget, believe me.

Take a drive to the Jersey shore - Wildwood has a great boardwalk if you want to classic South Jersey experience - rides, etc. Cape May is great if you like Victorian architecture and charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia