Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 08:42 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,233,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
+1.

On Saturday mornings my car gets me from the River Wards to the Reading Terminal to Northern Liberties to Tacony in a jif.

All while avoiding the elements, feces, crazy people up close and personal and standing on a corner like a schmendrick. As an added bonus I get to listen to Howard Eskin.

PP2013's girlfriend has a car, so he's not as committed to public transportation as he would have us believe.

I'm sure he enjoys stretching out in that passenger seat in the heat and/or Ac.
My girlfriend having a car has nothing to do with my commitment to public transportation. I live in Francisville and work in CC, so I either walk to the office or take SEPTA. I've reiterated to people who ask me about it that, while I could easily afford a new car, I choose not to own one due to the ownership costs (why should I pay $400+ a month in car ownership costs when I can pay $96/mo for a TransPass and put the rest away into savings? Plus, I'm a 24 year old male, so my insurance costs will be higher) and the fact that what I'm doing now is better for the planet. I do have my license, but I have no problem being almost completely dependent on SEPTA since that's the way it has been for most of my life.

Anyway, I'd actually love to hear more about the food offerings in the Northeast! This is one part of the city that I haven't really touched in terms of food. I know about Chickie and Pete's on Frankford Ave, along with Ch*nk's (didn't that place undergo a name change?), but nothing else. I did hear that Castor Ave has a lot of great Brazilian offerings though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 08:50 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Yeah, this is pretty much what my friends who grew up there have told me. Two of them grew up on the 6000 block of Large St. (I think?) and they said their neighborhood has become a straight up ghetto... Shame. I think that's the Mayfair neighborhood, or maybe Oxford Circle?
Truthfully if you simply travel through Oxford Circle and Rhawnhurst along Castor Ave, for instance, you will see some of the same housing you would see in Wynnefield or Overbrook Park. It all looks fine to me. There's a great little Israeli kosher restaurant in Rhawnhurst that attracts a ton of Orthodox Jews...it's another place up there that I enjoy. I doubt they'd be going there if the area scared them.

Come on. You know what they mean by "ghetto". Mayfair has a lot of Asians now as well.

I'll leave it there. No need to get into arguments about it.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:01 AM

1,213 posts, read 956,169 times
Quote:
+1.

On Saturday mornings my car gets me from the River Wards to the Reading Terminal to Northern Liberties to Tacony in a jif.

All while avoiding the elements, feces, crazy people up close and personal and standing on a corner like a schmendrick. As an added bonus I get to listen to Howard Eskin.

PP2013's girlfriend has a car, so he's not as committed to public transportation as he would have us believe.

I'm sure he enjoys stretching out in that passenger seat in the heat and/or Ac.
I''m personally a 97.5 Fanatic guy, as apposed to Eskin and that bunch of jabronis. Hey, I like driving and comfort too, but where do you park once you get to these destinations? Parking and walking to your venue will take you longer than your drive and probably cost you more than your purchases...

Old 01-15-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Truthfully if you simply travel through Oxford Circle and Rhawnhurst along Castor Ave, for instance, you will see some of the same housing you would see in Wynnefield or Overbrook Park. It all looks fine to me. There's a great little Israeli kosher restaurant in Rhawnhurst that attracts a ton of Orthodox Jews...it's another place up there that I enjoy. I doubt they'd be going there if the area scared them.

Come on. You know what they mean by "ghetto". Mayfair has a lot of Asians now as well.

I'll leave it there. No need to get into arguments about it.
Karen, I guess you're implying racism in the above. The two friends I reference here are BLACK. I thought I mentioned that up-thread? Good grief, for the last time, this isn't race-related. It's trash and slum-related...

Old 01-15-2020, 09:07 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Karen, I guess you're implying racism in the above. The two friends I reference here are BLACK. I thought I mentioned that up-thread? Good grief, for the last time, this isn't race-related. It's trash and slum-related...
Okay... sorry to get triggered for no reason.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Okay... sorry to get triggered for no reason.
No worries. There are a lot of agendas on this site, so I understand. I never have an agenda, and only two hot buttons: 1. scumbags having kids and pets they can't afford or take care of, thus making society raise and financially support them; and 2. these same scumbags abusing said kids and pets because they didn't want them in the first place.

Last edited by Pennsport; 01-15-2020 at 09:53 AM..

Old 01-15-2020, 11:05 AM

752 posts, read 460,713 times
Quote:
I guess your friends may mean Lawncrest or Sumerdale which are right next to Fairhill.
No they aren't.

So much misinformation; this thread is a great demonstration that people, admittedly so never travel to the NE.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:16 PM

73 posts, read 80,795 times
As mentioned previously, I grew up in the Northeast, so I got around from age 12 by public transportation. As a teenager, I took the bus, the El, the subway, any way I could get into town. I used to go into town with my mom when we both worked near Market St and we took the train from Fox Chase station and ate breakfast at Horn & Hardart near 12th St. As a young adult I took public transportation everywhere, too. I lived in Fox Chase at the time. I didn't drive till I was 20. I was unafraid and stayed in Center City till late! Now I wouldn't. Going to concerts, though, I always had a ride.

Lawncrest is near Lawndale and Crescentville. That's the Northeast. Fairhill is over by Germantown Ave. and Front St. That's North Philly. I've been living in South Jersey for 33 years but I do know many neighborhoods, especially the Northeast.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:19 PM

319 posts, read 145,598 times
Quote:
I''m personally a 97.5 Fanatic guy, as apposed to Eskin and that bunch of jabronis. Hey, I like driving and comfort too, but where do you park once you get to these destinations? Parking and walking to your venue will take you longer than your drive and probably cost you more than your purchases...
I park and walk, I'm not worried about time.

I always find parking and it's worth it to me to avoid public transportation.

If I have to pay for street parking, I don't care.

BTW, Missanelli is the jabroni. I hate that phony.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:47 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times
Ummmmm....not true.

Quote:
The Lower NE (Wissinoming, Mayfair, Tacony, Holmesburg, Oxford Circle, Rhawnhurst, Summerdale, Lawndale, Lawncrest) has serious problems. They used to all be solid, safe neighborhoods, but in the last thirty years, with the demographic shift, they've grown steadily worse with no relief in sight.

Frankford has always been a hellhole.

Even Fox Chase is facing obstacles.

Holme Circle, Winchester Park, Lexington Park, Torresdale, Bustleton and Somerton all seem to be doing OK.

Parkwood and Morrell Park are alright.

The public schools are probably stressful for normal kids. I wouldn't send my kids to one unless I had no other choice. And at that I would have them trained in self-defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia