Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 03:26 AM

14,267 posts, read 9,147,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Anyway, I'd actually love to hear more about the food offerings in the Northeast! This is one part of the city that I haven't really touched in terms of food. I know about Chickie and Pete's on Frankford Ave, along with Ch*nk's (didn't that place undergo a name change?), but nothing else. I did hear that Castor Ave has a lot of great Brazilian offerings though!
I lived just off Oxford Circle for 18 months - and had been traveling up to the original Picanha Grill (6500 Castor Avenue at Hellerman Street in Castor Gardens) for some time before I moved nearby (oddly enough, I went to that Brazilian churrascaria more often when I lived far from it than when I lived near it).

That place was the first of several Brazilian all-you-care-to-eat steakhouses to open up that way. A few blocks south of that restaurant was a Jamaican place called Nana-Xtra-O that I never tried out. There's a Mongolian restaurant about a mile north of Picanha Grill on Castor Avenue, and you pass at least one Korean eatery as you head towards Bell's Corner - where you'll find an excellent Russian supermarket and several other stores catering to the area's Russian population - on the Route 59 bus.

For a while, there was a Peruvian restaurant specializing in pollo a la braza (rotisserie chicken) on Bustleton Avenue just above Steve's Prince of Steaks.

What used to be Ch*nk's is now called Joe's Steaks and Soda. The son of the original owner changed the name and got some flak from the old white guys who lived near the original location near Wissinoming for it.

One more trivia point: Longtime residents will tell you that "Lawncrest" is a neologism used to describe an area carved out of Lawndale and Crescentville (Lawndale's to the south, Crescentville to the north).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 05:02 AM

319 posts, read 146,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Ummmmm....not true.
I'll change it to "Frankford has been a hellhole since the late 1970s."

Old 01-16-2020, 12:33 PM

7,741 posts, read 5,537,738 times
What the Northeast needs is just more jobs within close proximity. More deals like the helicopter plant.

Northeast Philadelphia company awarded $176M Navy contract

Old 01-17-2020, 10:13 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,782,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
No they aren't.

So much misinformation; this thread is a great demonstration that people, admittedly so never travel to the NE.
Whatever. I've said multiple times I go there more than a lot of people who post here. And I've mentioned the neighborhoods I go to.

Talk about where you go to. The places you like. The eateries that interest you. I enjoy discovering new places to eat.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harriet1954 View Post
As mentioned previously, I grew up in the Northeast, so I got around from age 12 by public transportation. As a teenager, I took the bus, the El, the subway, any way I could get into town. I used to go into town with my mom when we both worked near Market St and we took the train from Fox Chase station and ate breakfast at Horn & Hardart near 12th St. As a young adult I took public transportation everywhere, too. I lived in Fox Chase at the time. I didn't drive till I was 20. I was unafraid and stayed in Center City till late! Now I wouldn't. Going to concerts, though, I always had a ride.

Lawncrest is near Lawndale and Crescentville. That's the Northeast. Fairhill is over by Germantown Ave. and Front St. That's North Philly. I've been living in South Jersey for 33 years but I do know many neighborhoods, especially the Northeast.
Wow, I may be the only person here who remembers that Horn & Hardart.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I lived just off Oxford Circle for 18 months - and had been traveling up to the original Picanha Grill (6500 Castor Avenue at Hellerman Street in Castor Gardens) for some time before I moved nearby (oddly enough, I went to that Brazilian churrascaria more often when I lived far from it than when I lived near it).

That place was the first of several Brazilian all-you-care-to-eat steakhouses to open up that way. A few blocks south of that restaurant was a Jamaican place called Nana-Xtra-O that I never tried out. There's a Mongolian restaurant about a mile north of Picanha Grill on Castor Avenue, and you pass at least one Korean eatery as you head towards Bell's Corner - where you'll find an excellent Russian supermarket and several other stores catering to the area's Russian population - on the Route 59 bus.

Yep, those are the places I'm referring to. Yep, the 59 bus. Is that the only "trackless trolley" now?

Old 01-17-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
No they aren't.

So much misinformation; this thread is a great demonstration that people, admittedly so never travel to the NE.
Wow, I meant Feltonville NOT Fairhill.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:08 AM

14,267 posts, read 9,147,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yep, those are the places I'm referring to. Yep, the 59 bus. Is that the only "trackless trolley" now?
The 66 and 75 - the other two trackless routes operating out of Frankford District - also still run.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,741,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Wow, I may be the only person here who remembers that Horn & Hardart.
I remember that Horn & Hardart and the one on South Broad.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:38 AM

319 posts, read 146,003 times
A new Asian supermarket recently opened @Frankford and Levick.

Very similar to the one @4th and Spring Garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia