Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 07:36 AM

1,213 posts, read 956,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Collegeville has always been anchored by Ursinus (hence, the name), so I don’t see how it ever could have been “Pennsyltucky.” Maybe the outer edges of the 19426 zip code fit the bill in the days of yore—likely predating the existence of zip codes.

Skippack, I’m less certain about, but if “Pennsyltucky” was ever a fitting description, it hasn’t been for a very long time.
I work in Collegeville (or did until COVID made us all remote). It might not be Pennsyltucky, but it's pretty darn rural. If I had gone to the gym already and was fried from sitting at my computer all day, but wanted to miss the evening rush hour, I would often go to a pub and grab a quick bite and a beer. I learned in short order that Phoenixville was the only option for this activity. Collegeville is basically a former farming community and the residents and feel of the place reflect this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 09:05 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
I work in Collegeville (or did until COVID made us all remote). It might not be Pennsyltucky, but it's pretty darn rural. If I had gone to the gym already and was fried from sitting at my computer all day, but wanted to miss the evening rush hour, I would often go to a pub and grab a quick bite and a beer. I learned in short order that Phoenixville was the only option for this activity. Collegeville is basically a former farming community and the residents and feel of the place reflect this.
As someone whose stomping grounds growing up were Northern Montco, Collegeville is probably seen as more "rural" to those accustomed to the city proper and much more more dense, inner-suburbs. But in the past couple of decades of development, it would be comical to call the area anything resembling "rural."

Exurban? Definitely. Bucolic, with a good amount of open space? Absolutely. But still, a far cry from a true "rural" area. It's quintessential, middle-to-upper-middle class post-WWII Philly suburbia with large-lot subdivisions, strip malls, and office parks.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:24 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
I think you are being very harsh. It sounds like you have some animosity towards the area, but don't blame Montgomery County because the pharma companies (and basically every business, big and small) don't want to open up shop in Philadelphia.

To suggest that Phoenixville is the only location to buy a beer around Collegeville, you are either being hyperbolic or intentionally obtuse; pick one.

I live near the pharma cluster out this way (GSK, Dow, Pfizer) plus SEI and Quest. These businesses are not located here due to poor demographics or because they can't find local talent. Run a search on the income of 19426 if you so desire. I'm not going to continue to argue with you. But my simple townhouse neighborhood is full of other young professionals like me, and a noticeable number (at least 20%) of immigrants, many of whom work at nearby corporations, plus those down toward Malvern and Exton. Some of my neighbors are in fact blue collar, God forgive them. You’re coming across a bit arrogant to dismiss people simply for living in what you perceive as a rural area.

Last edited by BPP1999; 02-18-2021 at 10:44 AM..

Old 02-18-2021, 05:15 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Skippack if proximity to Collegeville is more important than vibrancy. Otherwise, Phoenixville or Lansdale.
If Lansdale, then Jenkintown too, but I'd say that both of these as well as Ambler are a bit removed from the upper Montco pharma cluster along Route 422.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I think you are being very harsh. It sounds like you have some animosity towards the area, but don't blame Montgomery County because the pharma companies (and basically every business, big and small) don't want to open up shop in Philadelphia.

To suggest that Phoenixville is the only location to buy a beer around Collegeville, you are either being hyperbolic or intentionally obtuse; pick one.

I live near the pharma cluster out this way (GSK, Dow, Pfizer) plus SEI and Quest. These businesses are not located here due to poor demographics or because they can't find local talent. Run a search on the income of 19426 if you so desire. I'm not going to continue to argue with you. But my simple townhouse neighborhood is full of other young professionals like me, and a noticeable number (at least 20%) of immigrants, many of whom work at nearby corporations, plus those down toward Malvern and Exton. Some of my neighbors are in fact blue collar, God forgive them. You’re coming across a bit arrogant to dismiss people simply for living in what you perceive as a rural area.
I probably shouldn't comment, for my experience in Collegeville consists of performing at Ursinus with PGMC, but I didn't see a Main Street lined with bars, restaurants and performing-arts venues along the lines of Phoenixville's Bridge Street in Collegeville. I guess I'd ask, Where did your neighbors go when they wanted to dine out or meet friends over drinks?

Collegeville seemed to me quieter than Phoenixville. Granted, that doesn't mean it's rural. But it did have more of a quiet-country-town feel than an urban Main Street feel, and this region abounds in suburbs with urban Main Streets.

Speaking of the latter, keep an eye on Pottstown, a little further west, folks. The last sizable municipality in Montgomery County headed west has a growing restaurant scene, a professional theater on its Main Street, and a rather eclectic farmers' market. Shopping has yet to catch up, but there's a fabulous vintage-furniture store that gets its items from storage-locker auctions also on High Street.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
If Lansdale, then Jenkintown too, but I'd say that both of these as well as Ambler are a bit removed from the upper Montco pharma cluster along Route 422.

I probably shouldn't comment, for my experience in Collegeville consists of performing at Ursinus with PGMC, but I didn't see a Main Street lined with bars, restaurants and performing-arts venues along the lines of Phoenixville's Bridge Street in Collegeville. I guess I'd ask, Where did your neighbors go when they wanted to dine out or meet friends over drinks?

Collegeville seemed to me quieter than Phoenixville. Granted, that doesn't mean it's rural. But it did have more of a quiet-country-town feel than an urban Main Street feel, and this region abounds in suburbs with urban Main Streets.

Speaking of the latter, keep an eye on Pottstown, a little further west, folks. The last sizable municipality in Montgomery County headed west has a growing restaurant scene, a professional theater on its Main Street, and a rather eclectic farmers' market. Shopping has yet to catch up, but there's a fabulous vintage-furniture store that gets its items from storage-locker auctions also on High Street.
I agree with everything you say. There is not much to Collegeville’s downtown. Or Trappe’s. They are quaint old areas with some very old buildings, and Collegeville has a university, but they are quiet. There’s no arguing that. But to imply that there is literally nothing to do or nowhere to go out is a bit ridiculous. The Trappe Tavern is popular, and pretty good. Collegeville has My Friend’s Tavern and also DaVinci’s, practically next to each other on Main Street. There are other bars around (some are dive-y).

If someone were moving out this way to work at pharma, and they wanted a place with a young vibe, or a downtown, then Phoenixville all the way. But to imply that Collegeville is filled with bumpkins is ridiculous.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:58 AM

1,213 posts, read 956,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post

Animosity? Why on earth would I care one bit about the CV scene? Dude, I don't care where one works to make his/her living. I don't care what the average income of residents of CV is. I don't care how many corporations established satellite offices there - probably due to the huge amount of open land that used to be farms. I don't care what Billy Bob is up to on a daily basis. I'm simply saying the place is rural and the social scene is awful and not the kind of place the OP is inquiring about. I've been to every single pub in the entire rural town at least a dozens times. Where do you propose is a decent scene? Trappe Tavern, DaVinci's, My Friend's Tavern, Champps, the Mexican place in the strip mall near Chammps? All of the above are some of the worst bars I've ever stepped foot in - literally. From the ambiance to the décor to the patrons they are absolutely terrible. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, but this isn't even a subjective viewpoint, this is flat-out objective reporting. The only passable option was the brewery in that weird mall thing on third street, that has since closed since the average patronage was between 2 and 6 people a night. Going to the bars in Phoenixville, Norristown and KOP is like going to a different world. This is nothing personal. For my own selfish reasons, I would LOVE it if a bar or two was actually doable, but they simply aren't.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:25 AM

1,398 posts, read 915,560 times
Quote:
Lansdale is a LOT closer to Collegeville than Jenkintown, and more importantly, a LOT easier to get to. Jenkintown is a great place, but I'd really cringe at a daily commute between Jenkintown and Collegeville. Ambler is more or less in between those two, but Lansdale is definitely more convenient to Collegeville.

Quote:

Pottstown has a long way to go. There is potential there, but I definitely would not recommend it at this point for people just relocating to the area looking for a "vibrant" community.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:45 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,940 times
Ambler and Lansdale are both about a half hour drive to Collegeville with no traffic, and I assume longer during rush hour. That's because you're on local roads the whole way. While they both have legit downtowns, their downtown areas (where there are restaurants, bars, shops, etc) are only a few blocks long. I wouldn't characterize Lansdale's downtown as "quaint" - it has more of a blue collar feel to it, whereas Ambler is a bit more upscale. I'm not all that familiar with Phoenixville, but from what I understand it is as good if not better a downtown area as those, and would be a much shorter commute.

Last edited by Angus215; 02-19-2021 at 08:27 AM..

Old 02-19-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Animosity? Why on earth would I care one bit about the CV scene? Dude, I don't care where one works to make his/her living. I don't care what the average income of residents of CV is. I don't care how many corporations established satellite offices there - probably due to the huge amount of open land that used to be farms. I don't care what Billy Bob is up to on a daily basis. I'm simply saying the place is rural and the social scene is awful and not the kind of place the OP is inquiring about. I've been to every single pub in the entire rural town at least a dozens times. Where do you propose is a decent scene? Trappe Tavern, DaVinci's, My Friend's Tavern, Champps, the Mexican place in the strip mall near Chammps? All of the above are some of the worst bars I've ever stepped foot in - literally. From the ambiance to the décor to the patrons they are absolutely terrible. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, but this isn't even a subjective viewpoint, this is flat-out objective reporting. The only passable option was the brewery in that weird mall thing on third street, that has since closed since the average patronage was between 2 and 6 people a night. Going to the bars in Phoenixville, Norristown and KOP is like going to a different world. This is nothing personal. For my own selfish reasons, I would LOVE it if a bar or two was actually doable, but they simply aren't.
Ok.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:08 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
We have friends who are looking to relocate to Chester County and want a Media type downtown (where we happily live, but they need further out).

What towns near Collegeville/Phoenixville have similar vibes ?

Thanks
Both of those towns are excellent.

Royersford isn't bad
Skippack
Oaks
Lansdale
Pottstown isn't as good as the other 4 I mentioned, but it's cheaper

Plenty of good towns in Montgomery County to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia