Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2022, 08:17 AM

8,987 posts, read 21,206,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Presumably that was part of the reason why Black cops were first hired in the middle of the last century. Unfortunately, it seems a critical mass of Black, Latino and Asian cops to drive policy was achieved, notwithstanding the ascension of past Chief Willie Williams and current Chief Danielle Outlaw yet relations between police and civilians has not appreciably improved. But if today’s younger Black community members can be convinced that joining the force would be seen as a benefit to their neighborhoods rather than a betrayal, then that could be a long-term benefit.

Thanks for naming the Guardian Civic League. I couldn’t remember the name of the organization I earlier called “the Black FOP”.

Correcting a sentence fragment that I didn't finish but was too late to edit.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not to poke the fire (although I like reading different opinions), there were many notable hate crimes against Asians committed by young black men and women last year. And besides the typical 6pm news report, those hate crimes didn't spark the same kind of outrage compared to other unfortunates events in recent years. Why is that?

To pose a question... if a group of white teens attacked Asian students on the subway or a white man knocked out an Asian woman on the sidewalk, would there be more outrage and cries of white supremacy or racism?

While I understand your view and FindingZen's view, I agree in this regard that there is a different standard of outrage dependent on who commits a crime and against whom. And to question that standard results in backlash (which is unfortunate, what happened to open dialogue?).

P.S. I am not digging into the history of race relations in America, but personal observations. And I would guess a lot of people feel the same way, but do not speak up (until it's time to vote).
Very fair points. Sadly, the perpetrators of Asian hate crimes are diverse and has existed in this city well before pandemic-related rhetoric exacerbated things. I'm hesitant to hypothesize why Black Philadelphians (particularly kids most recently) would specifically target Asian folks. Perhaps it's a type of punching "down?" I know there can be some mutual distrust in Black neighborhoods where Asian corner stores set up shop. Still, that does not justify attacking Asian Philadelphians.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:09 AM

1,705 posts, read 982,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Riffing off an item posted to the crime thread:

We're down 600 officers from 2015? That sure doesn't help things any, either.

The solution? Do what New York City did when the mayhem was being caused by gangs of Irish-American immigrants and their children: Hire those immigrants and their kids as cops.

(This was what underlay noted 19th-century aphorist Finley Peter Dunne [note name] — he wrote as "Mr. Dooley," an Irish barkeep — to observe that "cops and criminals come from the same class.")

This time, the target recruit pool would be young African-Americans. We have a lot of Black youth looking for something to do? Let's make them cops. (Ma Bell used to hire the people who tried to steal phone service from it to work on its network security team. There is a certain logic to doing this.)

Edited to add: Besides, the Guardian Civic League could use the reinforcements.
+1. Been saying this for years. And I've gotten plenty of hell for it.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Very fair points. Sadly, the perpetrators of Asian hate crimes are diverse and has existed in this city well before pandemic-related rhetoric exacerbated things. I'm hesitant to hypothesize why Black Philadelphians (particularly kids most recently) would specifically target Asian folks. Perhaps it's a type of punching "down?" I know there can be some mutual distrust in Black neighborhoods where Asian corner stores set up shop. Still, that does not justify attacking Asian Philadelphians.
I think a lot of it has to do with the misleading BS thrown about from people who used to be in power that the pandemic was because of Asian people. But Hedo would know more about that than me.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with the misleading BS thrown about from people who used to be in power that the pandemic was because of Asian people. But Hedo would know more about that than me.
That's what I was hinting at while trying to keep the discussion localized. Sadly, a good portion of that happened before 2020, too.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:39 AM

979 posts, read 421,385 times
Quote:
In other words, your point was refuted rather convincingly. I chose to keep my own response on the local level.
Don't flatter yourself. It's obvious you're a one trick pony.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
To respond to this fully would take us way off-topic.

Suffice it to say that Frank Rizzo died barely thirty years ago while running for office and having switched parties to do so. The people who supported Rizzo - and the children who heard their stories praising him - are still here and are not necessarily interested in rooting out the racism that created such socioeconomic inequality in the city and region.
In other words, you have nothing other than 'racism!'

Last edited by henrychen; 02-23-2022 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-23-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Says the guy who voted for the hooked-nose drunkard and Banjo Boy. Way to go ... you must be proud.

Old 02-23-2022, 01:01 PM

I see a lot of deflection here from the real problem. Stop blaming the police, stop blaming the 'white system' and stop making excuses for poor choices and bad behavior. We all know where the violent crime problem is coming from. Now, how can we encourage people to stop getting pregnant
as unmarried teens? How can we make people better parents? How can we convince people that education and work ethic are key? How can we convince people that the thug life/street culture is a dead end? The culture needs to change ... the opportunities are there. For too many it's easier to be a loser instead of a productive citizen. Seriously, look to the Chinese-Americans. What are they doing right?

Old 02-23-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Says the guy who voted for the hooked-nose drunkard and Banjo Boy. Way to go ... you must be proud.
I'm not particularly, Mr. Whataboutist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia