Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2024, 07:48 AM

1,703 posts, read 980,934 times

Advertisements

Good take by Mr. Domb.

Lets try to spread the word.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2024/...-philadelphia/

Old 05-01-2024, 11:38 AM

9,402 posts, read 9,387,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Good take by Mr. Domb.

Lets try to spread the word.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2024/...-philadelphia/
100%.

Of course there is work to be done, but I am over the doom & gloom on social media and the national media.

Though I worry, in these polarized times of garbage social media, even steep drops in crime will not be appreciated by many. The idea that cities are bad, dangerous, filled with bad Democrats is engrained into the the minds of many, seems like a near impossible hurdle to overcome.

Even in New York, many people actually believe that the city is unsafe. I suggest naysayers read the history of NYC in the 70s-90s, and maybe they will appreciate the Disney New York of 2024.

The driver behind most of these feelings is that every instance of crime everywhere is instantly captured and sent out to the polarized world, thus creating a warped perceptions.

End tangent.

Last edited by cpomp; 05-01-2024 at 01:06 PM..

Old 05-02-2024, 07:33 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,635,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Though I worry, in these polarized times of garbage social media, even steep drops in crime will not be appreciated by many. The idea that cities are bad, dangerous, filled with bad Democrats is engrained into the the minds of many, seems like a near impossible hurdle to overcome.

Even in New York, many people actually believe that the city is unsafe. I suggest naysayers read the history of NYC in the 70s-90s, and maybe they will appreciate the Disney New York of 2024.

The driver behind most of these feelings is that every instance of crime everywhere is instantly captured and sent out to the polarized world, thus creating a warped perceptions.

End tangent.
I fear it's even worse than completely ignoring current facts--there are literally people out there hoping for continued crime/chaos/disarray in big cities to fulfill their own perverse enjoyment or capitalize on their twisted political beliefs about "Democrat run cities." Not to mention, local news are outlets frothing at the mouth to capture any instance of violence as a headline for clicks and ratings.

My hope is, over time, the crime-obsessed social media and hyper-partisan political trends will die out, and we can all live in the same reality again. But it's unfortunately going to take a number of years to undo the damage.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:08 PM

1,036 posts, read 452,489 times
Like I stated, only a black mayor, well really only a black female can crack down on crime in Philly. That's progress 2024-style.

One good progress point in 2024 is the diminished visibility of Larry Krasner. Just not seeing or hearing from Krasner; most recently he's been undecided about whether trespassers at Penn holding their pro-Hamas tent city will be prosecuted...so maybe it's diminished progress.

Old 05-07-2024, 03:50 PM

1,036 posts, read 452,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Maybe the Black political Establishment and the activist class wouldn't allow it,* but (with the usual caution that the plural of anecdote is not data) I can recall a conversation I had with a fellow Penn employee in 1987 that you might find interesting.

She was a middle-aged Black woman who worked in another office at the university but also rode the Route 40 bus to work with me, and we would chat about goings-on on the bus. I would describe her politics as to the left of my own.

One moring in the months before the general election, she informed me that she and others in her neighborhood were talking, "Let's do Frank."

The more I read about Frank Rizzo, the more I'm convinced he was a more comples person than either his defenders or his detractors think he is. Yes, he played on white fears to seek a third term, but he also went up to Kensington to stop white families from harassing a Black family who had moved into the neighborhood. Things like that, or that one of his closest political friends was William Coleman (another rare bird, a Black Republican from Philadelphia).

*and come to think of it, a good chunk of that Establishment backed Tom Knox over Michael Nutter in that 2007 primary.
That was then (1987 & 2007), this is now unfortunately. Of course black folks will vote for a white candidate and vice-versa, and politicians, like many people, play on fear, nothing new there and that goes for all race baiting fears, which has no equal opportunity barriers.

We are at the point in 2024 that, in a city like Philly, only a black female will be allowed, for obvious reason, to crack down on crime.

Still waiting for a Parker v Krasner fight...wonder if Larry would butt heads with her though, not good for his image and his ''I know how to fix black peoples' lives'' narcissism.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:47 PM

4,744 posts, read 4,447,050 times
I think the chaos with the "protests" has really added a new element of out of control. I was hesitant to go into Philly anyway. I do not feel that I would be safe there. Thanks no thanks.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:46 PM

14,290 posts, read 9,167,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I think the chaos with the "protests" has really added a new element of out of control. I was hesitant to go into Philly anyway. I do not feel that I would be safe there. Thanks no thanks.
Unless your travels take you onto Penn's campus, you won't experience any chaos from protests in Philadelphia. There isn't even an encampment at Temple, and the annual Broad Street Run caused more disruption to people's routines than 100 or so marchers parading through Center City late last month.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:41 AM

753 posts, read 464,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Unless your travels take you onto Penn's campus, you won't experience any chaos from protests in Philadelphia. There isn't even an encampment at Temple, and the annual Broad Street Run caused more disruption to people's routines than 100 or so marchers parading through Center City late last month.
Very true - unlike the summer of 2020, the unrest is very isolated. I live in Center City west and haven't seen a thing.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:57 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,635,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
You're kidding, right? You're fearful of a bunch of privileged college kids with a few tents and some handmade signs cloistered on an Ivy League campus? Their biggest threat at this point is body odor.

Give us a break.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:35 AM

9,402 posts, read 9,387,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Like I stated, only a black mayor, well really only a black female can crack down on crime in Philly. That's progress 2024-style.

One good progress point in 2024 is the diminished visibility of Larry Krasner. Just not seeing or hearing from Krasner; most recently he's been undecided about whether trespassers at Penn holding their pro-Hamas tent city will be prosecuted...so maybe it's diminished progress.
He doesn't have the best rapport with the Mayor or Governor, it would be wise for him to not seek reelection next year, although ego will prevail. Derek Green could defeat Krasner next year with a good campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia